TKR The Good Parts and Some of the Challenges in my Recovery Path

I will continue to post. I am always so thankful for the knowledge that others impart on this web site and any that I can assist with for others. I had a PKR four years ago and the recovery on my TKR is much more severe and lengthly.
 
I am wondering if anyone is experiencing the following. I am now 13.Weeks out. zI am having recurring numbness in the upper and outer thigh of the TKR leg. At times it Burns andis quite painful. I am thinking this may be nerve related. I see the surgeon June 3 but wonder if anyoneis familiar with this.
 
I think we have all had some sort of weird pain during our recoveries. It does sound like nerve pain to me. I have neuropathy and a pinched nerve in my tkr leg but had this for six years before my surgery. I would discuss it with my OS since you have an appointment soon. There are certain medications that just target nerve pain which he may prescribe. I take gabapentin (neurontin) which is a huge help. Take care and I hope your pain improves!
 
I had a total knee replacement on my right knee on 3/34/14. i am 49 years old and i feel that they push me with therapy sometimes. I am stll taking pain meds and not really sleeping thru the night. Also my job wants me back like yesterday, I work at cvs , i never get a chance to sit during the day, do you think 6/2 is to soon to return to work. Don,t know what to do, confused!
 
I went back to work at 8 weeks but sit most of the day. Standing will definitely be harder. In my case I could not have done it until four months or so. Everyone is different but don't rush back and only work four hours at a time to start!
 
Pumpkin, I asked my GP when I saw him over a month ago about this. He told me he felt it was exactly what you are saying. I will go in a look at the website. The GP was hesitant to go any further because of course it was a surgical situation. I see the OS June 3rd and this will be my first question. Other than lack of energy, things are going OK.
 
I have not been on the site for awhile but thought I would like to post the results of my visit yesterday to the hospital to see the OS who performed my surgery. I am now four months out. It doesn't seem possible. The early weeks were so bad that I thought it would never get better but it does get better! The surgeon was very pleased with my progress. X-Rays were taken and I was invited to view them. It was interesting to see what I am walking around with! I could see the TKR I had done in Feb on my left knee and the PKR that was done in 2010 on my right knee.
He said the new knee has settled in well and he had me do a lot of bending movements and those went well also . I told him I was swimming 24 lengths in a pool three days a week. He said the swimming was one of the best exercises for this type of surgery and my body had done well with it. I would go more often but the pool is a public one and there are only certain times offered. My only complaints are lack of normal energy level and what I thought was a pinched nerve in the outer thigh. He said it is not a pinched nerve but bursitis in the hip. It only bothers me when I stretch out to sleep or relax. He said if it is still a problem when I see him again in August, he will give me a cortisone shot but he is hoping things will settle down on their own. I am also hoping that.
Just want to say that for those of you who are in the early stages of recovery, when the pain is so bad, hold on. It does get better. Much better!
 
This is a lot like those crazy Medicare forms. I simply indicated I couldn't run, jump or hop at all--nor do I expect to. I can't imagine that jumping and hopping will do our new knees any good anyway.

Actually, I think these are all-purpose forms that cover a wide range of injuries.

I can't imagine the reaction of my OS if I asked him when I can jump and hop. :chinstroke:
 
I am happy today to spend the day housecleaning. Sounds bizarre but I have not been able to do that for so very long. I really wondered if I would ever do it again but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
 
........there is light at the end of the tunnel.

As long as it is not the light from an oncoming train......
[Bonesmart.org] The Good Parts and Some of the Challenges in my Recovery Path
 
Pleased to hear that you are doing well @Haze. It is so helpful when we have people give the good news. Thank you for sharing your progress! :cheers:
 
Just came back from swimming and am now up to 26 lengths (each one is 80 ft). I am exhausted afterward but that eventually wears off. I have noticed, now that I am 4 months out that my knee will occaisonally give me a sharp jab of pain that does not last long. It is just as if the body has a memory and it is reminding me what I have been through. Has anyone else experienced that?
 
Hi @Haze . Congratulations on your swimming. Were you a swimmer before your surgery? You should be proud!

I am almost 7 weeks out and I do sometimes get a jab of pain in my TKR knee. It is worse in my "good" knee that I am getting replaced in 2 weeks. It could be the nerve endings that are regenerating. I am not the expert by any means though.
 
Hi @Haze

Just checking in to see how you are doing. I haven't seen you post in a while so wanted to say hello!

Hope you are having a great summer!
 
I have been hunting for this posting of mine for 1/2 an hour. I am pleased that I found it as I did not want to start another one.
Summer has been good. Thanks for those wishes. I love to cross border shop (Toronto to Buffalo). I went two weeks ago with a friend. I did all the driving and was so pleased that I was able to do it. It is 1 1/2 hour drive (as long as there are no time delays on the international bridge at Niagara Falls). It was a successful two day excursion. We also managed to rest and swim in the hotel pool as well as use the hot tub which I find very helpful . My friend that went with me was also a driver so I knew if I had a problem she would take over.
Today I had my six month check up with the surgeon. It went very well and I will go back in January. I had a small concern in my Right PKR that was done in 2010 but none in my new 2014 Feb. knee. He says I have stressed the right side a bit due to relying on it so much while I had little use of my left knee as it was healing. He is hoping it will heal itself as my balance continues to distribute itself between the two knees. I want that to happen also.
I am continuing to swim 3 mornings a week (32 lengths and I was a swimmer before my surgery.) but have not done a lot of walking. I am just starting to go in that direction. We have a holiday coming up soon by ship but I will get a lot of opportunity for walking at the ports of call. I will take a portable cane with me just in case I overdo the walking aspect of things.
Over all, things are going well and I think back to when I thought I would never be free of pain but it has almost happened.
I will check in again and should not have left it that long as I could be possibly providing assistance from my own experience.
 
Haze,
Great report, glad to hear you are doing so well with your LTKR. Almost pain free :wowspring:!
Thanks for posting it is always wonderful to hear of a great recovery, even when it take a little longer than we expected.
 
How wonderful to hear from you! And even better to hear how well you're doing. It sounds like the knee is healing beautifully and you're really beginning to enjoy yourself! Bravo!!!
 
Thanks for updating us.
 
I have just returned from a t10 day cruise up the eastern coast of New England and Canada starting in Mew York and terminating in Quebec City Canada. I donlt know if it is from pulling a very heavy suitcase on wheels or all the walking I have done and there was a lot. My PKR from 2010 is really bothering me. It was a little sore before we left but I mentioned it to the surgeon and he said it should clear up. I have not done much walking in the past swimming only. The recent replacement from 2014 Feb is a little aggravated also. I guess I am looking for answers I may not find but may have to just wait it out. I am intending on getting into a weight loss programme and feel that may help. Has anyone else any helpful comments on this? I am open to anything the may be helpful.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom