TKR The Good Parts and Some of the Challenges in my Recovery Path

Spoke with PT yda. He said I should be finished Physio in two weeks. ROM is now 125. Still have some pain in inner part of joint but hopefully that will eventually go. Still using cane outside the home and pain meds. See GP this week and surgeon June 3.
 
Spoke with PT yda. He said I should be finished Physio in two weeks. ROM is now 125. Still have some pain in inner part of joint but hopefully that will eventually go. Still using cane outside the home and pain meds. See GP this week and surgeon June 3.
 
I had a call this AM from an acquaintance that I swim with. I have not been swimming since before my TKR left on Feb 3. She called to day she had expected to see me this AM at the pool. She has had a TKR also last year. She seemed shocked when I said I was still using a cane outside but not in the house . I also told her my.GP wanted to look at the incision before I started back to swimming which I do 3 days a.week. Her attitude.made me feel like I should be farther ahead. It was 9 Weeks ago today and she filled me full of doubt on my recovery. I feel I am doing well and.will be out of physio in two Weeks.I still have some recurring knee pain which is bothersome but not severe so don't feel I can go.without the cane yet.
 
Please don't doubt yourself, we are all very different and we all heal at different rates. By the sounds of things you are doing fine, I am 12 weeks, some days I go out without my cane and sometimes, like today, I feel a little unsure and still like to use it. Please ignore your 'friend', if you are happy with your progress so far, and your PT is also happy then I would say everything is going well. Have faith in yourself.Take care xx
 
Hi - both you and your surgeon are absolutely right - you should not swim in a public pool until the incision is completely healed up. This is what I was told at hydrotherapy and, even if your scar has healed, I think your OS is very wise to 'officially' rubber-stamp this approval for you. (You never know what may be in that swimming pool water! I think hydro pools may have a higher level of chemical???)
I would second what @Ellejay said - everybody's different and everybody's knees are different. You only have to read the stories on here to see the huge differences in people's recoveries, experiences and attitudes.
I had my TKR about a week before you - I had a set back, but am beginning to get back to where I was at 6 weeks - sometimes I use a cane, sometimes I don't. I often find it reassuring to take it with me when I go out, to fend off badly behaved children and unruly dogs!
Take care and be happy to go at the pace that is right for you and your knee, and forget everyone else.
 
:iagree:

Everyone is different. Every knee is different. Every recovery is different. Don't let your friend's comments get you down. You are doing just right for you and your knee.
It's wise not to get back in the pool until your wound is properly healed and why not wait for your surgeon's say-so?
 
Hello, Haze---I took the liberty of merging your two threads---we would like you to keep your recovery to one thread, as it can really be helpful others to follow you , your recovery, and the issues that you may be having.

Thanks again,

Tim C.
 
Sorry. I thought if it.was a.different issue I was supposed to.start another thread. I am now.9.weeks out so thought the title would not ne.ap be.appropriate so I.guess I need.clarification please.
 
@Haze We like to keep all of the recoveries in one thread---that way it is easier to track one's progress and issues---when they arise, when they subside,etc---so that we can keep track of all of them on one thread.

As a forum member goes through his or her recovery, we can see what he or she has been through, what successes they have had, and what issues have come up, so it is more of a cumulative record.

I would imagine that all of us have had a variety of issues and concerns during our recovery, and by utilizing one thread, the forum members can see what you have been through, what is going on now, and offer suggestions.

I hope this clears it up for you,

Tim C.
 
I get the cumulative part but feel there won't be any more responses if I need them. Hope I am wrong there
 
I would be willing to bet that many folks would respond to your new posts.

If you want, I can change the title of your thread to address your new concerns.
 
@Haze, Tim's right about your recovery journey needing to be in a single thread. It helps so much for all of us who come to offer support to be able to go back and read everything you have been through and advice you've been given in the past. If we didn't have the threads set up that way, there is a high likelihood that we'd be repeating information and that's not helpful for any of us! Also....later when new people come on board and want to read about your recovery journey, they will have everything in one place in a chronological order. That benefits those that follow you down this recovery path. So, I do hope you understand why we have the "one thread" rule here on BoneSmart for the recovery forum.

As you go along, it may be beneficial to change the title of your thread to more accurately reflect your current concerns. We'll always be happy to do that if you just tell us what you want it to be. People will see your thread when you post as it shows up under their "New Posts" listing and appears in bold (meaning there are posts in the thread they haven't read) if they go to the recovery forum index. So I do think you will have responses!!

Now.....as to your questions.....please don't allow anyone else to define your recovery for you!!! YOU are the one who knows how your body is doing. And, quite frankly, it's doing just fine!!! You are a mere TWO MONTHS out of this very, very major surgery. It is a very rare individual indeed that would be skipping around and back to full activity. With both my knees, I was a good 6 months before I started feeling normal again.

You have to do what is right for you. If you still need your cane to walk properly with a good strong gait, then by all means use it. If you still have pain, then take something for it and spend significant amounts of time resting, icing and elevating. Your body will heal more successfully if you don't try and push things before you're ready.

The fact is that until these "helpful people" in your life have their own knee replacements, they have no clue what you have gone through and what recovery feels like. Even if they have had a TKR, each person is different so it is impossible to compare and rate someone's recovery as "not so good." People can say things out of stupidity or ignorance. But you don't have to internalize their comments! You may not have control over what someone says, but you do have control over your reaction to it. Be confident that you know yourself better than anyone. And, judging from what I've read here of your recovery so far, I'd say you're doing it just right. :thumb:
 
I am so jealous of your 125 ROM, when I posted here yesterday I didn't realise you had that. You are so much better than I'm doing and only 9 weeks to my 12, whatever your friend says you have nothing to worry about. I'm working as hard (but gently) as I can but seem to be stuck at 100, which isn't enough to climb over stiles when we are out walking, or to ride my bike. So definitely ignore your friend and enjoy your new knee.
 
I agree. If you feel you need a cane use it. I am 13 weeks out and if I am walking any distance I will use mine. For me now it is more for the unoperated knee which will be done later this year. When people ask me questions about this surgery and I respond how hard it has been physically for me they look at me like I am a zombie. They really can't comprehend what has been involved. So do what is comfortable for you. You are what matters and it does get so much better.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Haze, it's good to hear that there is a fellow swimmer on this forum! After both my TKRs, my OS said I could go back in a chlorinated pool 4 weeks after surgery, as long as my incision was completely healed. Both times, in 4 weeks it was healed, so 4 weeks and one day after surgery, I was back. Little word of warning- knees didn't feel bad while swimming or after, BUT, my cardio-vascular fitness is pretty much in the gutter! What used to take me about 50 minutes to complete now takes 65, because I have to stop so much more often to huff & puff while hanging onto the wall. And, I'm slower than mud; probably because the flip turns aren't what they used to be. But I love being back in the pool, because it breaks up my day, I get to see my friends, it really helps with the sleep, and the kicking helps my quads. Seems like you should be able to get back in the pool pretty soon. Good luck!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom