Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

I had a bit of a stumble with my pain meds when I was a few weeks out from surgery Jen. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this to you or if you've seen it here on the forum, but Jospehine recommends a tramadol/tylenol combination that worked wonders for my pain. I felt so much better using it versus the narcotics I was on prior. The key is you need to stay right on schedule with it. If you decide to give this a try you also need to take into account any other products containing acetaminophen as this is the recommended safe dose for a 24hr period.

I kept it in my system just as her chart states. Meaning, I set my iPhone to wake me up or remind me to take my doses!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suz

Thank you. I have seen this chart elsewhere. I think I will give it a try. My major issue with pain and trying to manage it is that I have a long history of pain, and just as long of a failed history managing it. I am so sick and tired of just grinning and bearing it. Chronic pain is exhausting and mentally draining. My baby knee is a new start in more ways than one. I got to the point several times in my life where I had to stop all otc pain relievers and take a "med holiday." At my high point, I was taking 16000mg of ibuprofen or acetaminophen a day. I did not ruin my liver, thankfully, and it is still working great, but it was too much. Even a minor headache required a high dose, not to mention what I had to do when I had a full blown migraine! I'm hoping with the Tramadol, an increase in oxycodone, or Percocet again, the Celebrex once a day, and tylenol, I'll have better control. :) For now, I'm being very careful not to just push through the pain and actually listen to my body and what it can/can't do. This first replacement is a new start for me in more ways than one. Hopefully, I'll actually learn to like myself and see my own value.

Nighty night my fellow bionics!!
Jen
 
I was taking 10 MG hydocodone every 4 hours and 50 mG every 6 hours as needed for pain. My OS also had me on a muscle relaxer as needed (Robaxin) and 1 celebrex daily. That combo seemed to work well. The muscle relaxer seemed to help me the most after the first week or two. There is also another chart for taking tramadol.
[Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
 
Hi Jen, I hope you get your meds working for you... I am the WORLDS WORST pill taker...but hope to use the iphone to help me, hopefully since I won't be doing a lot of multitasking I will remember better... When I am busy working, I can have the pill bottles right in front of me and still forget. I am anticipating the pain to be enough for me to keep it a priority. But be careful...you still don't want to do to much once you are starting to feel better and not feel the pain! Easy to do it seems from what others here have said...
On the flip side, hope you keep having positive progress!!!

Blessings,
lene"
 
Jen, dear fellow bone smarter (autocorrect wanted to make it bone snorter!), I hope so much for you that you find a way to keep the pain under control. You are such a smart, funny person, you deserve this chance at a pain free, mobile life. As do we all!
 
Praying your pain is controlled.
 
Doing okay today. I had PT in the afternoon and it really has helped me loosen up and gain confidence to use my new knee! I seem to be walking better with the walker, although I have to "think" about it, which is weird! I have some gentle exercises that I do throughout the day, when I am able to do them. I have PT tomorrow and my nurse, but I'm going to ask for the weekend off. I have been using my new ice machine and I think I'm in love!!! Overall, my PT said he is seeing a lot of good progress and effort on my part. However, he can see that pain stops me from doing certain things, which he understands completely. So, I am pleased and I think I have found a good balance between what he wants and what I want. Plus, I spent some time with my boyfriend this evening, which was great because we don't get to see each other as much as we would like to right now.

I am "airing out" my scar and the steri-strips are falling off...and no, I am not helping them along either...geez!!! I'm not quite sure what to think about the incision though. I am pleased with it and I feel the wound vac worked wonders. Nothing is open or about to open. There are two tiny blisters and one crater area, but okay overall. I feel I would make an awesome bruise pallette crayon box!!! Still some swelling, but noticeably better, thanks to my new love, the ice machine.

Talked to my OS's office today about medication and they bumped it to 7.5mg oxycodone q 4 hours and want to see if that helps. If so, they will call in the new script for it. Taken one dose so far and I'm not sure what to think yet. We'll see in the morning!! I still have Tramadol 50mg q 6 hours for breakthrough pain, but I just take it with every other dose of oxy. I hope this will work for me!! I do feel good about advocating for myself and not just putting up with the pain like I have for the last 2 decades. I am bionic woman, hear me... make assertive statements to advocate for myself. :)

I am pleased with my progress thus far, especially for just 8 days post-op! I'm starting to feel more empowered and value my ability to recover more than I ever have before. Still struggling with the fact that part of my identity is the "girl with the bad knees," but that will reconcile itself with time and introspection. Plus, having my knees replaced was always something that would happen "in the future," but it's here and now, and my little pea-brain is trying to wrap itself around that. Why do my existential questions come when I'm in a pain and oxy induced fog?

Okay, time for some ice cream, Luvenox, tv, and bed, but not in that order. Talk to y'all tomorrow my beautiful bonesmarties!!

Jen
 
It all sounds good, Jen.
I'm glad you were able to get your pain meds increased. Well done for being assertive.
 
I bet that the meds increase will help with that pain.
 
Today has been an off day for me. I slept about 45 minutes the night before, so I knew it was going to be a drowsy day! I have modified my pain medication schedule, taking each as prescribed. I alternate taking Oxycodone 7.5/325 and Tramadol 50mg every three hours, still setting my alarm. I do have extra strength Tylenol to use with the Tramadol, but I want to read up on it a bit more to make sure I'm doing it safely. I still feel I could have better pain control, but I'm pleased at this point, mostly because I spoke up for myself. Plus, the pain is also a good sign of whether I'm overdoing anything. And it will get better, whereas my pre-surgical pain was only going to get worse. I did cancel PT today because I just did the exercises on my own and wasn't feeling too great anyway. I really like the bending exercises, quad sets, the assisted "stork" (as I call it, with weight gently transferred to the operative knee), and gait practice. I'm using my best judgment and even with that, I still do plenty of exercises. My knee feels stronger each day.

The incision looks ok, but it is rather alarming for someone who isn't familiar with orthopedic surgery. I'll post a picture soon. I have a lot of tightness surrounding the knee. The PA said that it was probably from the retractors and the tourniquet. It feels like I have a tight ace bandage wrapped around my knee, without the bandage actually being there!! Also have some bruising around the sides and behind the knee, but I expected this!! I did not suspect the tuberosity pain, but my OS didn't think he would have to remove my TTT screws. I use my lovely ice machine 12+ hours a day and my swelling is much reduced. I still have to remind myself that I am only 9 days out!!

Mostly struggling with the blues and some anxiety. Most of you probably know that I live with my parents, which makes me feel worthless enough as it is. I moved back last year from Rockford, Illinois after my husband committed suicide and I found him hanging in our basement. I couldn't stay after that. So, I've been trying to get my life together and on a good path. I had finally found a job in my field (I'm a licensed mental health counselor and addiction therapist), met a wonderful man, and it was getting better. I was active and doing things I'd never done before. I started to have pain in my left ankle around Thanksgiving 2015, but I wasn't able to see my OS, who has known me since I was 13, until February. I was finally diagnosed with a fractured talus and put into Das Boot. If anyone doubted my high pain tolerance, I walked on a broken ankle for 3 months! I had 2 cortisone shots, which I am typically against. I was then scheduled for ankle surgery to repair several things, not realizing that it was as big a deal as it was until after the fact. This was also my first adult surgery without my husband, which was surprisingly profound for me. As I was recovering, really well, I ruptured my Achilles (on the surgical side). Only the internal sutures from the surgery held the tendon together! Lucky me!!

During this entire time, actually since I was 19, I knew that knee replacement was in my future. My current OS was actually the one who said my knees were clinically bad enough then, but it wasn't the right time. So, I lived my life, took care of ortho issues as needed, had a few surgeries, one from a car accident, and started to check around in Illinois for surgeons who would.replace knees in a 35 year old obese person. There weren't any. But, throughout this whole time, my hubby and I knew there would come a day when I would have new knees for us to enjoy. Then, my world fell apart when he died. On my dad's 70th birthday no less.

So I give all that background to explain just how huge this surgery is for me. As it is for most people, it is life-changing and positive, but it also signifies loss, change, and sadness for me. I don't want to further burden my parents who are taking care of me and helping me heal. My mom is so anxious about my health that she loses sleep at night. My dad has anklydosing spondylitis and takes a biologic each week, so he has enough to worry about. I just want to get better!! When I start to get the blues or cabin fever, this is the stuff I tend to think about. Thanks for letting me vent! Being a therapist, it's so much easier to be the listener rather than the talker!! I'm just trying to be aware of the things this surgery brings up for me and address them head on.

I have been spending a lot of time reading the stories here and feeling generally positive about my path. It helps so much! I think that is why I want to be candid about my own recovery just in case it can help someone else. I feel that my age and the fact that I'm obese (two risk factors already) by telling my story, could help show that recovery happens regardless if you take charge of it.

Off to read the new Lenny Dykstra book!! I heard him on Howard Stern several weeks ago and it sounds like it will be a good read!

Hope all my fellow bonesmartians are doing well!!!

Jen
 
Oh, Jen, I just read your post. You have been through hell, for sure. I can't begin to imagine having to deal with your ortho issues at the same time as coping with your husband's suicide. It's not surprising that this surgery had reawakened all of the past emotions surrounding it. Surgery/helplessness/dependence tends to do that. I think you are very courageous to share your personal life events with us, and I know it will help me to understand your recovery issues.
I think the fact that you could return to your parents' house to recover is a positive step, as it provides a safe retreat for you to heal, both emotionally and physically. Many people don't have that option. It's not forever.

So right now try to focus on adequate pain relief and try to remember that this surgery produces depression at some point for most of us, so be sure to keep checking in with us. We all are here to support you and help you get through this time.

When my pain was really bad at day 6 or so, my Doc Upped my meds to Oxy 15 mg every 4 hours. It helped control my pain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jen, my dear, what you have gone through! There us no shame in getting comfort from family at a rough point. It is your life and nobody who is not directly impacted has the right to comment or interfere. Take your solace where you can. You have chosen a profession of giving to others. Don't feel ashamed that now and then, you need to take instead of give. My hope for you is that your mobility recovers to the point where you can go for some lovely outdoor walks and enjoy the healing balm of sunshine, breezes, trees and flowers. Sometimes we just need to be instead of overthinking everything. Love!
 
I am so sorry for your loss. It makes things so much more difficult. But at the same time I'm glad your parents could help. Hope you can get some sleep and feel better tomorrow.
 
I think you should change the name of your thread to "the girl with the good knees". Or, use it as a title for the book you will write about how you got them, cause you will! It will happen!
 
@ACDCJen I'm so sorry for all you've had to go through. You are a survivor, and will come through this stronger than before though it mightn't feel like that now. Concentrate all your efforts on a good recovery and don't be hard on yourself. Look forward to a better future with knees that will allow you to have a better quality of life. You deserve it.
We are all here for you :console2:
Tabby xxx
 
Jen, I'm really sorry to hear about all that has happened to you. :console2:

You have coped magnificently so far, and you will again.
Don't feel bad about needing help from your parents now. The time will come when they need your help, and you will give it, I'm sure.

A knee replacement is major surgery and, unfortunately, depression can be part of the bundle of things that go with it. It's a normal reaction in the circumstances, and you have more reason to be sad than many of us do. However, this, too, shall pass. The time will come when you are ready to move forward with your life again

Meanwhile, feel free to express your feelings here. We're here to listen and we understand. :loveshwr:and :friends:
 
Oh Jen, I'm so sorry for all you have been through. You are blessed to have your parents to help you. And in the future, you will be there to help them! You are a giver, but now you need someone else to give to you. It is a blessing to be able to give to others, so let your parents be glad about that blessing. And you, too! So many of us have been facing this recovery alone, but yet, we are not. We have Bonesmart! I, too lost someone one. My son was killed when he was 11. During my down times during this recovery, that comes back up. No wonder your husband's death is brought up in your memory. Especially, because of the circumstances of your finding him. Try to hang on to the knowledge that better times are coming! Because they are! Your are in our prayers.
 
Jen, thank you for sharing your story with us. Your courage is inspiring and full of hope.

You are an amazing young woman. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
You have lived through so much in your life and then top it off with a TKR sounds just totally overwhelming to me. You are such a very strong person. I would love to be able to just give you a hug if I could. :console2:

We are all here with you now. You have many friends throughout the world to help you along as you recover. Always feel free to vent as much as you need to. My prayers are with you.​
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom