Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

We all played the "find the new bruise" or "did I have this pain yesterday " game.

I hope you can find some relief soon, you have been through so much you deserve a smooth recovery :flwrysmile:
 
Agree with everybody that ice is your friend! And I appreciate your game of find and identify the random bruise.
 
I'm nervous because PT is coming at 2pm. Hopefully, he is nicer in person than he was on the phone. I'm not able to do much because of swelling and pain, and he already told me that he wouldn't have an ice machine today. Therefore, there won't be a lot of moving and grooving today either! We'll see how it goes!!! Took a pain pill already, even though they aren't really working too well. Should have an rx for Tramadol by the end of the day though. This tuberosity is killing me!!

Super sleepy today, but that's okay! Slept better last night but that's because I supplemented with my last Percocet from my ankle surgery. Onward and upward!!

Keep on fighting my fellow bionic Bonesmarties!!!

Jen
 
Just remember you are in charge Jen. NOT him. And also remember for the future- it's allot of fun, (and advantageous to your recovery), to cancel PT due to not feeling well. Seriously!

[Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
 
If it were me.. just sayin'.. I'd call and cancel right now. There is nothing he's going to do today that is going to help you feel better. And you don't need the stress of having him in your face. He won't think much about it 2hrs from now! You are in such a tender & fragile time of your recovery- it's OK to take care of you & your knee hon.

It's pretty late now to cancel, just don't answer the door due to being asleep from the meds. HAHA!

I'll hush now!
 
Well, I actually feel strong and empowered after my first PT session today! I made it very clear what I would and wouldn't do, and then proceeded to show him just how capable I was at 6 days post surgery! I did what I felt capable of, and declined to do any more. He said that I am doing really well and to keep up with the exercises like I have been. I am definitely on the side of doing much less than doing more, and I'm okay with this. I just wanted to make sure to assert myself early on in PT because I am not going to just do whatever I'm told. I also asked him if there were any other measures for how well I'm doing other than ROM and pain management. Sadly, and not that I was surprised, the answer was no. So, I will set and aspire to my own goals throughout this process. Thanks to the "Bonesmart way," I asked good questions, set my boundaries, and created the PT relationship I wanted to! I do feel pretty capable and confident today.

Now for the pain...I was given hydrocodone 5-325 every 4 hours for pain and I have been taking it and setting my alarm. I also have Celebrex once a day. That is it for pain. Even if I have a headache, I'm out of luck (this is how I understood their instructions...) So, one pill every four hours is not enough to manage my pain, so I'm usually at a 4. No big deal, because I'm used to being chronically at 6. However, it's NOT ok because this is a new start for me and I'm no longer going to tolerate being in pain. I KNOW that this whole process is painful, and I am not the type of person that has to have 0 pain and man sunshine and rainbows either. I've continued to take the hydrocodone every four hours, and a few of the times I took two or I wasn't going to be able to sleep. I asked for Tramadol in addition to the hydro for break through pain. Luckily, my OS ordered this and my mom will pick it up for me after dinner. I'll continue to monitor for pain and discomfort, but even this is new for me because I'm a "grin and bear it" type of person. I think I just need a higher dose or something different. I will also have my own, personal ice machine tomorrow and I think that will go a long way toward managing my pain! If someone had told me at the beginning of the year that I would get excited about having an ice machine, I would have thought that was funny....not so much now! :)

I definitely feel better each day. When I woke up this morning (admittedly after I supplemented my hydro with an extra Percocet (which does not work too well on it's own) I had left over from ankle surgery), I felt great and did some exercises in bed before even getting up! There is a definite light at the end of the tunnel!

I am really looking forward to having a good, normal, well-functioning knee and I feel that I am on my way. I have a long way to go and I'm taking it slow and listening to my body. But, I feel good about myself and my knee!!! :)

Jen
 
That's awesome Jen! You embraced your recovery protocol and your new baby knee thanks you! I'm also glad you'll be starting your ice therapy tomorrow- I don't usually like ice on my body- but I LOVED it during my TKR recovery! In fact, if you have a big bag of frozen vegetables or a few ice packs- you'll find they'll bring you relief as you're waiting for your machine to arrive!

Do keep us posted- just being able to share what was going on with my recovery here daily was such a help. Not only for myself but for others fresh out of their replacement surgeries!

You *done* good girl!!

[Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
 
@Suz

I have 3 big ice packs with 2 wraps that I have been using non-stop. It's a pain though to keep them frozen enough! At least I'll be better prepared for the next knee replacement, hopefully by Thanksgiving!!

Jen
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Yes Mam!! Every 2hrs I peeled myself up out of my recliner to do the ice pack run, lol! I wrapped the pack around my knee with an ace bandage. I researched out the machines and was overwhelmed from so many reviews! When my left knee starts misbehaving I'll for sure purchase an ice machine for that recovery.

I'll be curious to see how your machine works out-!
 
Sounds like you and your pt reached a good accord, congratulations!
 
You did great! Your knee thanks you.
 
Well done for taking control of your recovery, Jen.
It's good that you spoke up about needing more meds for pain control, and also that you let your PT know what you want and what you will tolerate.
 
I hope the ice machine helps with the pain. You are doing great so far!
Tabby xxx
 
My visiting nurse was just here and took the wound vac and dressing off! It looks so much better than I thought it would! I'm very pleased so far. With the vacuum off, I can move and stretch better, which will only help. I have steri-strips on now. It is 20cm long.

Had a rough time sleeping last night for some reason. Hoping to get some sleep today before PT at 4pm. Hope everyone has a great day!
Jen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Get those naps in today. You will feel much better.
 
Great news, Jen. And yes - nap, nap, nap. I think of sleep as a time my body can use 100% of its' energy to heal and repair .


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
That's a wonderful way to look at our naps!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
PT went well today too. No pushing too much and he is very encouraging. He said that I am doing really well an he showed me how to improve my gait with the walker. I feel that my gait is much more natural now and I can practice more. Still not sure about pain control. I will call my OS tomorrow and try to talk to the nurse. I'm still taking the hydro every 4 hours with my alarm (usually need it before the time is up) and then I take a Tramadol every other time with the hydro. Honestly, the Percocet I had for my ankle surgery in June worked better when I doubled them up, so we'll see if I can do that instead.

Still not sleeping well, but I do lay down in my bed when I'm tired and doze some of the time. I love my ice machine and can't wait to us it even more!!!

That's about all for now. I just can't stop gazing at the wonderfulness that is my incision!!!

Hope everyone is doing well tonight!!!

Jen
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom