Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

Well, I sat in the recliner for over an hour and it felt good! I like bending my knee instead of keeping it completely straight though. Went for a walk down the hall too! Now, I am exhausted and back in bed for a nap.

Appetite is good. I'm not completely out of it. Vitals are good. Everyone has been so nice too!!! This definitely helps!

Jen
 
Appetite one day post op is awesome. I lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks.

Great that things are going so good for you. Just remember there will be bad days mixed in too.
 
Welcome to our close family on the recovery side. We are here to share you ups and downs and know what you're going through! You sound like you're doing great! Just remember to not overdo. It's so easy and you do not want to visit that terrible place, the ODIC...over did it club. Just about everybody on this side has been there a time or two and it's not fun! Stay away from it!
 
Good luck with the new knee

Rest while you can because home is coming soon
 
Great: it sounds as if your first day or so is going really well. How wonderful to have nice nurses, too! That really can help, I know... Thinking of you as you're probably off to sleep now, so hope your day tomorrow is a good one, too!
 
Glad things are going well. Compassionate nurses make all the difference. Glad you have those :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Just checking in for today, 2 days post-op. Still doing well. Pain is still there, but I have been in top of the pain meds. I've seen PT 3 times now and I do the exercises as tolerated. I walked up the hall today and it feels good to move!! Sitting in the recliner with ice now. Got the catheter out last night and I've used the actual bathroom 4 times since then. I also got my IV disconnected...yay! All I have now is the wound vac, which I will go home with for 5 days or so. I have subdermal stitches and the vac is holding the incision closed and there is no drainage. So, the visiting nurses will remove the vac sometime next week, and I'll see the incision for the first time then. No staples or stitches. The PA said that the incision was a little bigger than the one from my existing TTT, so it's longer than 9.5 inches. Not sleeping too well at night, but that's normal for me. Not really dozing during the day either. Oh well, it will catch up to me when I'm home and comfortable!!

I think that's it from my end! Doing well, some pain, but so worth it already! I can go home tomorrow, as long as I poop, which may be a problem. But they are giving me stuff that will...ummm....help with that!

Now....where is that prune juice?!?

Jen
 
Oh gosh the #2 no go problem really sux. Been there & can sympathize with you.

Do you have a sponge in your incision? Or just the plastic layers for wound vac?
 
Glad to hear still going well. By the way, I asked for...and got...some stewed prunes, so, they worked great for me! Maybe they have them?
 
@Bikesouth

It looks like the sponge part is on top of the wound. This is covered with plastic layers and it is waterproof.
 
@Bikesouth

It looks like the sponge part is on top of the wound. This is covered with plastic layers and it is waterproof.

Wound vacs are amazing IMO. Cool thing to watch an incision close up under high vacuum.

Don't know about your specifics but my dressing/sponge had to be changed every 3 days. My sponge was stuffed down into the wound. I had to cut a new one custom fit as the incision closed up. The granulation would grow to the sponge
 
Welcome to the other side make sure you ice rest and take your meds on time

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
Saying healing prayers for you. You sound good-- I'm so glad.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Still on poop patrol and that is the only thing holding up my discharge from hospital! I've had so much prune juice, MoM, docusate, and colace already!!! Oh well, it will happen!

Practiced on stairs today and I'm confident I can safely do the 4 steps into my house. Can't wait to shower and be in my own bed in control of my recovery!

For those who have asked, I don't have a sponge in the incision. The PA told me it was closed with subdural stitches and the wound vac will help the outside incision to hold closed. At least this is my understanding. Not sure if that makes sense... I guess the 3 of us on the post ortho-surgical floor with new knees have wound vacs, which are not common for my doctor to use.

Other than that, I feel good. Can't wait to sleep in my own bed! Averaged about 4 hours per day here and I need more than that to heal!

Hope everyone else is well in their recovery! I'm soooo glad I had this done. To quote my OS, "It was a MESS in there!"

Jen
 
OMG, wound vac, for TKR? That gives me shivers. Why do you have that? I lived with that evil machine for 8 months in 2014,-after my infection from THR. It left me with a terrible deep painful to this day scar tissue. God I hated that thing with every being in body. Hope your experience is far far better than mine was.

Glad you are feeling good for so soon.

Wishing you the poop fairy visit
[Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
 
Don't let up once you get the better of the constipation! I'm still taking otc meds daily for mine and seem to have to fight for each occasion. I'm hoping as I take fewer and fewer norcos, the problem will resolve itself.
 
I finally pooped!! I am now at home resting in my own bed, thankfully! Once I take a shower I will feel more human!!

Jen
 
Welcome home! And yay for the poop fairy :chuckmarch:, may she not be a stranger. Enjoy that shower, and sweet dreams :sleep:
Tabby xxx
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom