Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

Great report, Jen. I'm so happy for you!!!
 
So glad to learn of your continued improvement - and your positive attitude makes such a difference! WTG Jen! You do have this. And belated birthday greetings! More than a few of us could probably say what we would give to be 40 again - you've got so much to look forward to!
 
I'd like to say I was 40 again! Jen, with your two new knees, you have the whole future ahead of you. You've had a rough road and that's behind you. That smooth road is ahead!
 
You are all too kind! I can tell that I'm feeling better because I have been so terrible about keeping my journey updated! I'm not 100% yet, but I feel so much better than I did just a month ago.

I have been discharged from home health nursing, and I saw my infection specialist for (hopefully) the last time today! I was given a clean bill of health! She said that I was "young and healthy" and I am healing very well! She said that I could come back if I notice any changes, but I haven't yet, so I think, hope, I am out of the woods! I'm glad, because I've become attached to my knee! (groan...)

I am now driving on my own when I need or want to go anywhere. I feel so much better just because of this! I am not able to drive for more than 45 minutes or so and my back and legs feel achy, but once I stand up and change position, it's much better. I am no longer using my crutches at all, and use my cane most of the time. I was walking around without anything in the house, but my gait is atrocious that way. So, I use the cane to make sure I train my knees to work the correct way. I feel much more comfortable moving around and walking a bit longer than I did before. I'm still not very mobile, but that is changing very quickly. I'm surprised that I'm able to get up out of some lower chairs even too! I can move any way I want in bed, but I know there is still a ways to go.

My left knee is feeling weaker than my right, so I've redoubled my efforts at doing quad sets, per my doctor. It seems to be getting better, but I'll keep doing them. They aren't difficult, but he said that the tightening, release, and then tightening them again is the most important part. So, I do them as often as I can.

I am excited about going to the local parks and maybe even fishing sometime soon here. It's amazing what a change a month can make. I usually get a parks pass for the NY state parks (for $65/year and you can get into all state parks and DEC sites for no extra charge...pays for itself in 8 visits, which I more than do during the year.) I have a bunch of niggling little things I have to do, like get my car inspected, do my taxes, get to the bank...etc. So, it's nice to be coherent enough to do them now!

My little wound hole is looking pretty good too. I'm using the Dakin's solution and dressing it with sterile gauze, the covering with an Allevyn. I also use some of the leftover drape I have from the wound vac to secure the edges of the Allevyn to make sure it stays down and the liquid from the gauze doesn't run anywhere! I change it twice a day, usually. The wound measures about 2cmX2cm and is about 2.5-3cm deep. It's still a little deeper than I would like, but I'm packing it loosely so it heals from inside out. I feel good about it right now. I hope it will only take another 2-3 months to be completely healed. Hopefully, by then, I'll be strong enough to go kayaking.

I'm looking for a job in earnest. There are about 2 dozen that I am applying for this week. Hopefully one of them will stick! There's a good one for a Healthy Moms program through the hospital I used to work for before surgery, so maybe they'll snatch me up again! We'll see. I would really like to work with parents and kiddos again.

The weather is getting nicer here in Western NY, and I'm not ready for it. It's supposed to be around 70 tomorrow too. I do not like hot weather, so it would be nice if it could stay around this temperature. It will be nice to get fresh air though and sit outside.

Hope everyone is doing well. Sorry I've been less than supportive, but, it's true what they say, when you feel good, you go out and do! I'll try to respond to posts soon!

Yours optimistically,
Jen
 
That's a wonderful update, Jen, and it's so great to read it! :yes!: :happydance: :yay: :spin: :dancy:
You're getting your life back at last!

Congratulations. You have my admiration for being so patient.
 
Oh, and here is a picture of my wound from April 6. Don't mind the dryness, I had just taken the dressing off! I'd say it's about as big as a nickel?

[Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
 
What an improvement in your wound and what a great report! It's wonderful to hear your life is getting back to normal and you can finally get out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, Jen! I'm so glad to hear you've turned a corner and are able to be more mobile. Let us know how the job search goes!
 
:goodpost: Not good, great! I'm happy you are getting your life and wellbeing back! Good luck with the job search! Your wound looks like it is healing beautifully!
 
Jen!!! How exciting news you have. Your opening has improved so much. Wishing you the best of luck in your job search too!!
 
Thank you everyone! I was actually super motivated today and did my taxes (and surprise refund!), paid some bills, sorted through a huge pile of papers, registered car, and bought an Empire pass for the state parks. Whew......

Jen
 
Bopping in to say hi to everyone. I'm still hanging in there! My wound is getting smaller, but it seems to be taking it's sweet time though. I still have a hole about 2.5-3 cm deep, but the opening to the wound is super small. It takes some maneuvering to get the gauze with the Dakin's in there. I'm kind of disappointed with how long it's taking it to heal from inside out, because I can't have the top close over a hole. I go back to my OS on 5/4 so we'll see what they say then.

I am doing okay otherwise. It's been very slow coming out of the fog and infection. I've been getting out of the house several times a week but my stamina still stinks. I can drive about 30 minutes before I become cramped up and need to stretch. I've only had to take my painkillers once in the last few weeks, so that's good. I am using only my cane and much of the time, it's for balance more than anything. I do walk around the house without it, but I'm not pushing my luck! My left knee clicks a bit, but once it stops, I'm good to go. I stopped using my toilet seat riser to help my knees get used to getting up from a lower position!

I've applied for a few jobs. I applied at Rochester Regional as a counselor for their Healthy Mom's program (right up my alley!) and I got a call back last week. I'm just waiting for a return call since she was on vacation until today. I also applied for 3 more jobs today, so we'll see if anything happens! I hope it does. I know going back will be very difficult at first, but I'm so sick of not working!!! I love being a counselor and I've been told I'm good at it, so I want to do it again! :)

That's all for now! Hope everyone is doing well.

Jen
 
Hi, Jen! I've been wondering how you are! I'm sorry the wound is taking so long to close, but I know how tired and foggy you feel. I was really an emotional wreck, even after the wound stopped seeping. The infection and meds take a lot out of you. Hopefully a job will come just when you're physically and mentally ready.
 
Jen, it's so good to hear from you again. It have been through a lot, but the end is in sight!
 
You seem to be coming along well now, Jen.
Best wishes for your job search. I hope you get one of the counselling jobs. :fingersx:
 
Progress is progress wish we could rush it along. In a few months you will not see the temporary obstacles any more.

ID appointment for me tomorrow.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom