Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

Restoring some normal activities is so uplifting.

Maybe ditching the crutches will help your shoulder.
 
:driver:Hooray for driving and getting out of your house! I hope your blood tests come back showing you have no infection.
 
Sorry I missed your travails Jen and so very delighted with your progress. I was out of commission a bit with my cervical fusion this winter. Love the progress you are making, the freedom you are finding with ditching the crutches and driving!! You've certainly earned the right to experience how great a new pair of knees can be!
 
Keeping our fingers crossed Jen, this is ending well glad you were able to find the right medical help, god bless


R Partial Knee Replacement 11/28/16
 
Vac free is the way to be!!!

Had a great appointment with my OS today. The hole is smaller than it was last week, but the granulation has just started into the edge of the wound. So, no more vac. I will be using Dakin's again, twice a day. I'm actually looking forward to this because I can do it in my own and I think that it's the right time this time..if that makes sense.

My OS also said that he is almost certain that this infection was a separate thing from my knee, and it didn't compromise the prosthesis because it was caught and colonized quickly. He also said the antibiotics made sure of this! So, I'm hoping this means that even if the wound becomes infected again, that doesn't mean I'll have to have the knee removed. So, I'm going to go with that for now. :)

My OS was very sympathetic to the fact that my progress stopped and/or went backward because I haven't been able to move much. He hopes I'll keep feeling better and stronger the further I am from the Levaquin and as the hole heals up. I am also going to do the PT protocol again at home to get my knees moving in the right direction again. I got this!!

I am trying to use both crutches only when I leave the house or in the morning when I'm still stiff. They are for balance more than pain. Otherwise, I use one crutch or my cane or nothing. I just want to make sure I learn to walk correctly with my new knees.

So, great news from my end. I hope it continues! It's a good early bday present!!!

Pictures below are from today. You can see the crevice better in the second one, towards the top of the hole.

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Jen
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    0323170904e.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 270
  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    0323170904d.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 299
Your wound is looking so much better, Jen.
No more wound vac - that's a great early birthday present. :yes!: :happydance: :yay:

It's already Friday here in NZ, so Happy Birthday!
 
Celebrating with you too. Who would guess getting a,wound vac off would make anyone happy for a birthday present! Wishing that this birthday tomorrow is extra sweet now!! Continued healing to you. :flwrysmile:
 
Great news that the wound vac is no longer needed. Now you can celebrate your birthday!
 
That is wonderful news, just in time to start enjoying Spring. It's been a long and winding road for you, but things are looking up. Enjoy your Birthday.
 
Happy Birthday Jen.....Wound vac gone is a gret present! Time to celebrate...Hope you have a Wonderful Day!!
 
The wound does look significantly better, Jen. I'm so happy for you! And "blowin' the stink off" sounds like a perfect way to celebrate.....have fun hot roddin' in that car!
 
Hello everyone!
Just checking in to say hi. I'm doing fine, just very tired for some reason.

Had a great low-key birthday last Friday. I can't believe I'm 40! I hope this decade is full of opportunities that I no longer have to miss!! As always, I was spoiled by my family.

Been doing my best to get out of the house and do things that I can tolerate. I went to dinner on Sunday with Scott and his parents for his (and my) birthday, his was the 27th. I'm going to the movies and dinner with Mara tomorrow. We're seeing Beauty and the Beast. I'm looking forward to it. Then Scott and I are going out on Sunday. Each outing definitely tires me out, so I haven't done two things in a row. Hopefully soon I will be able to.

My wound is looking about the same, but still healthy and "beefy." I change it 1 -2 times a day and use Dakin's. I got my most recent lab results back and they look great! To my untrained eye, there is no sign of infection and my SED rate is down 12 points too! I've started doing the PT protocol again so I can become more functional.

That's about all for now. Hope everyone is doing well!!

Jen
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom