THR The fun part

But first weeks are not fun and we need that down time for healing.
In my case, these hip replacements are almost the fulfillment of a lifetime dream - 20 years, anyway - and when I think about the things these lavender joints and I will do together, the pain is just a rite of passage. With just one hip done, I found I had so much more energy during the day that it affected everything I did, even when I'm was just editing at the computer. Directing this last play was the most fun I've had in years - I could jump up and walk around in the space, pace back and forth, move around the audience to see how it looked from different seats. Sitting makes me feel dull - I crave movement, and 20 years of constantly encroaching immobility seemed like it impaired everything I did. But now! Boy howdy, world, watch out!

Once I get out of bed, anyway.
 
Last edited:
Happy One Week Anniversary!
Did you catch that, One? I'll say it louder in case you missed it, ONE.
One week post op. Take it easy, Tiger. I know you're rarin to go but you're only One Week post op.
Seven Days - 168 Hours - 10080 Minutes
Let it jell in place for a few more weeks. Take it s-l-o-w. You're worrying me.
@Bone-obo
 
@Bone-obo, I've been reading your humorous posts on and off for a while now ... I just realized you underwent surgery #2 ... Good luck! ... Keep up your humor ... it's so fun to read ... so grounding to read.
 
You're right @Going4fun
Bone-obo is a fun one to follow. I've thoroughly enjoyed his sincere contributions
and he's hilarious!
Still luv him just the same, only worried as I know he struggles with restraining himself :wink:
 
the kind of soreness that tells me my body's hauling away wreckage caught in the surgery, and getting ready to make something new and fabulous.
Good that you had that little reminder of what was going on in your body, just in case you had thoughts of sprinting to your local Goodberry's today!

The first couple of weeks are the pits IMO. Then it really starts to get better and better. You probably timed the ops perfectly, as you don't have op one dragging you down the first few weeks. I'm finding that an interesting balance. It seems to me that there is a bit of a "bilateral hippy overlap" when the surgeries are closer together, particularly in terms of energy. Are you having any complaints from the first hip at all? Were you able to get that hip quite "fit" prior to your second surgery?

Hoping that you are finding enough to keep yourself entertained as you ease through week two. It is wretchedly boring!! Every blessed time I try and speed up:fasthorse:, my body says, "Ah no, I don't think so, yet. X :walking:is the preferred speed" :bored:.

Hope the ice machine hose connections are obliging!

:dancing:
 
Many thanks! So far, about what I expected or better! Glad I didn't get a twofer - you guys who had bilaterals are nutsoid crazy-pants!.

Lol, I have only whined my way, kicking and screaming, so far through 1 hip. I think the bi’s have to be a tad psycho. I cannot possibly imagine going through that.
 
Good luck! ... Keep up your humor ... it's so fun to read ... so grounding to read.
Holy moly, high praise indeed! Thank you!

only worried as I know he struggles with restraining himself
Worry not - I've given up struggling. :eyebrows:

Good that you had that little reminder of what was going on in your body, just in case you had thoughts of sprinting to your local Goodberry's today!
Well, see, about that... see below.

Are you having any complaints from the first hip at all? Were you able to get that hip quite "fit" prior to your second surgery?
No complaints at all - the right hip has been a tough little soldier the last week. This last month I walked as much as I could, sometimes twice a day, just stopping shy of what the left hip could handle. In the beginning I could "feel" the right hip, like something odd was jammed in my femur (go figure), but after a few weeks it took longer and longer to get that feeling. And it's helped a lot with recovery.

Hope the ice machine hose connections are obliging!
Yeah, no. I'm gonna go bang on it some when I finish this post.

So... today so far:
After my little construction moment, I woke up feeling pretty good, and as I started moving around, I spotted an old frenemy, leaving against the wall at a rakish angle: Beelzebub Demonstick, my old cane. Next thing I knew, he and I were sauntering all over the house, working out the kinks and using my poor bedeviled wife as a follow target as she went from room to room. I'm liking it lots! Demonstick is easier to walk with, more compact, and best of all, I don't have to back up my hallway stairs anymore! The plan for tonight, therefore, is ... Goodberry's! Try Demonstick out in the wild! Fun!

Meds I'm currently on: aspirin (2x), vitamin M (Meloxicam), and Tylenol as needed.
 
Basically, I like my drinks frozen, and sweet enough to require an insulin booster.

Good grief, @Bone-obo, never would have thought of frozen, sweet drinks as being your style, what with that tough guy riding image you have as your avatar. But, who am I to be critical? I am narrow minded about what I'll drink, and I also gravitate towards the sweet and fruity. See that drink in my hand in my avatar? That is a greyhound, the greatest cocktail known to mankind (she opined modestly).

Glad to hear you're up and moving about, even slowly and solely for the purpose of annoying your poor wife (a long suffering soul, I'm sure). Keep up with those essential meds, continue icing and I'm betting by the end of next week you'll be feeling pretty darn good. I can't imagine having a second hip done although--shudder--it will be in the cards some day. When I read your posts about this most recent surgery, and certainly the posts from @Alitm, I am in awe--you hip "two-fers", even with short breaks between surgeries, are brave, brave souls.

Hope you are feeling better today--it's only going to get better, I am sure.
 
tough guy riding image
Can I have you do my publicity for me? "Tough guy image" - woot!

That is a greyhound, the greatest cocktail known to mankind (she opined modestly)
Grapefruit and gin, huh? I've learned something cool! Next time I'm in a convenient place, I'll check it out!
 
My wife, Demonstick and I rambled around the local outdoor mall for a bit and ended up at Goodberry's, of course - peanut butter was the designated flavor du jour. I'm not a big Christmas person, but I'll have to say I'm gonna miss all the hustle and bustle in the shops. Although with the frequent trips to Goodberry's, I'm gonna have to stay wary of excessive calorage.

Night, all!
 
Lol, I have only whined my way, kicking and screaming, so far through 1 hip. I think the bi’s have to be a tad psycho. I cannot possibly imagine going through that.

Glad I didn't get a twofer - you guys who had bilaterals are nutsoid crazy-pants!

We are!:dubious:

Two new hips does make life grand...you will be getting there soon, friend!
Hope today is A Good Day!
 
An idle thought regarding BoneSmarties and PT: BoneSmarties work hard! I can't tell you how many times I've read about someone suffering energy drain, sleep loss, and persistent pain who'll casually throw in that, oh yeah, they also just did 3 sets of PT. You guys are absolute, greedy monsters, every single one of you, and I love you guys! I really do!
 
Hey, @Bone-obo. First of all, a "true" greyhound has only fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and vodka, not gin. I got hideously sick on gin in college (hanging out with the John Hopkins debate team, a million years ago) and have never been able to tolerate it since. Second, I am amazed that you claim you'll miss the "hustle and bustle" in retail establishments. Wow, I spent practically all day in retail establishments today, listening to the same old carols that have been playing since before Thanksgiving, and dealing with tired, stressed out staff helping tired, stressed out customers. I can't imagine missing this. I suppose the thrill of getting out after being housebound with hip #2 might be exciting, but hitting the malls around Christmas absolutely isn't my idea of fun! But, who am I to be a grinch? I am glad you enjoyed yourself and if you got a treat (do you mean peanut butter ice cream?!! Blech...) at the end maybe that was worth it. Good for you--hope you didn't overdo it, and are now home resting and icing away.
 
First of all, a "true" greyhound has only fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and vodka, not gin.
Yeah, I asked my wife if she's heard of a greyhound, and she thought it was vodka, too. Dang. There goes my future in the bartending business.

Second, I am amazed that you claim you'll miss the "hustle and bustle" in retail establishments.
Perhaps because I approach it as a tourist, and avidly avoid the hustliest and bustliest of times and places. We go to a nearby outdoor shopping center at 8, when most of the stores are closed or closing, where the major businesses open are restaurants, at a time when the lights against the night sky are the prettiest, and the diners coming out of the restaurants are pleasantly but (mostly) not obnoxiously lit. Cheerful. Happy. We walk a bit, eat a scoop of whatever flavor of frozen custard they're featuring that day, and head home. It's ... normalizing.

We did happen to drive to the mall today to meet a friend for lunch. Mistake.

peanut butter ice cream?!! Blech...
What can I say? Taste is in the mouth of the taster.
 
Chocolate with Peanut Butter Chunks, my fave when I splurge. Ice Cream though, not frozen custard.
Frozen Custard and I'm a boring plain ol Vanilla Girl. How did we get on that? Your daily trips to Goodberry's.
Better watch it or you'll have a new tummy to go along with your new hips :heehee:
All the more for us to love, dear Bone-obo.
Hope today is great! :SUNsmile:
@Bone-obo
 
I always thought vanilla was like eating plain frozen water, but my wife has brought me over: vanilla is delicious. That said, my faves are rum raisin in regular ice cream, and cinnamon mint chocolate in frozen custard, plus there's a local ice creamery that serves an mind-glowingly good flavor call blackberry hibiscus.

Note about the tummy taken! Generally I try to limit lunch and dinner, snack just enough to keep hunger at bay, and save about 200-300 calories for a sweet option once a day, but with my activity level so reduced, it's easy to slip up - it got me last time!
 
I'm in the 2nd week slough, and I am desponded. The pain is mostly controlled, so that's good, but if the next bug fix release doesn't include "improved sleep function" I'm going to become a touch testy. (Upcoming YouTube video sensation: "Old Man Yells At Hip.")
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom