TKR The beginning of my new life with a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DanaDelight, I'm so very sorry to read this and hear of your recent turn of events. I know, at the hospital they can make comfortable, at least for tonight. What tomorrow will bring is a big unknown. I admire you for being level headed enough to describe your present situation so clearly. My heart goes out to you, I hope for the best outcome. Once again you knew what was happening and acted quickly.
I'm wrapping you in warm healing thoughts.
 
@sf-slim My hopes for rest were dashed once I realized that the doctor had ordered vitals every two hours! He really wanted to make sure that my DVT didn't turn into a PE in the middle of the night so he had the nurse's aides and the nurses coming in to do O2 saturation checks every few hours. It is something that can easily be done while a patient is sleeping-just slip the clip over the index finger and wait for the reading. Since the doctor had me heavily medicated so I could sleep, my O2 sats would sometimes drop below 90. This caused the nurse to wake me up yelling loudly for me to breathe deeply which I would do in a haze of drug induced sleep. They felt satisfied that I was breathing so they would leave me alone until the next set of rounds. This went on all night and I was just an irritable complain this morning when my doctor came in the make rounds. I told him I want the Doppler Study ordered ASAP so that if at all possible I could get out of this hospital. He apologized and promised it wouldn't happen again. My husband wants me to stay another day because he is terrified of what might happen once I am at home. If I am promised more rest then perhaps I will stay longer. I would like to get my INR levels under control before I leave. I guess we will see what happens after the Doppler study is.
@Quasi -Thank you for your words of support. I try my best to respond to anyone that leaves comments on my thread. I had pretty much gotten to the point that I tell my PT what I am willing to do and won't do. I won't hurt myself so that they can reach some magical number for their supervisors. This recovery is about what is best for me and I plan on sticking to that through process. I was taking PT five days a week at home and it was killing me. I should have insisted on three days only. I should be released from home PT on Tuesday and I guarantee that I will not be doing therapy more than three times a week. I find my knee does better if I am given a day of rest in between therapy sessions. I am learning to roll with the punches and I am in control of my knee. I will dictate therapy and how much I push myself to achieve a certain ROM. So far I am doing well. I am at 93 on my own. I am slowly figuring out that being out in life helps me and my ROM and strength so I am focused less on regimented exercises and instead stretches, walking, and some light strength training. It seems to be working for me. Thank you again for your support and words of wisdom.
 
Isn't that just the way it is? They want you to rest and recuperate but come in every two hours to wake you up taking vitals or drawing blood!
 
Thanks for keeping up with my progress @msmechanic58 I'm still getting incredible intense shooting nerve pain when I make the slightest move toward rolling to the ball of my foot as in taking a step. I wonder what will resolve this. And why this would come on suddenly like this after sixteen days.

I am so sorry! Nerve pain is the worst. I think the symptoms I'm having change day by day. Hang in there as best you can!
 
@DanaDelight, I am sorry to hear about your setback but so happy you were persistent to get it taken care of! Hope you get your doppler studies done today. I had a pulmonary embolism after my first TKR so I had to go through the INR testing every week. What a pain. Pulmonologist sent me to a hematologist and he changed me over to Xarelto and you don't have to have your blood tested so often. I see him again on Friday and hopefully he will tell me I don't have to take the meds anymore. Good luck getting some rest. You are in my prayers.
 
@DanaDelight
I also am so sorry to hear that you are back in the hospital with another blood clot! That must have been pretty scary. It's is incredible to me to think of all the ways our knees have to adjust to healing after this brutal surgery, and it does heal, although most of us have some hiccups now and then. I wish for you a good rest and a complete healing from the blood clots.

The human body is amazing, and if we are tune with it (which you obviously are), we know what is going on and we also know what we need to be doing for healing. I am glad you were able to get out of the house and visit with your friend before this happened. What nice memories to hold on to! Prayers that all will be well with you and as you come home, your husband gets to see that beautiful smile, saying, all is going to be okay!

You are an inspiration to me!
 
I am currently back home but will continue the post when my mind is working.

If I waited to post until my mind was working you would never hear from me.

[Bonesmart.org] The beginning of my new life with a new knee!
 
@Phil75070 you are absolutely right so I decided to go ahead and post. I ended up leaving the hospital a day earlier than I or anyone else wanted or anticipated because of the complete lack of rest I was getting. I had a CNA that insisted on singing to me each and every time she came in to check my vitals which happened to be every two hours! No sooner would I get comfortable and drift off to sleep then this Julie Andrews wanna be would come waltzing in my room causing cats and dogs to take cover. I spoke to my RN about it and he said he would talk to her. I think she was singing louder after he talked to her. I requested a different CNA but was told they don't switch aides. This would have been funny if I wasn't so flipping tired. They were giving me strong meds to ward off the pain of the blood clot so my body was really trying to sleep. I told the doctor in the morning that I had enough and was going home where I could at least get some peace and quiet. I had them do another Doppler study so that we could make sure there were no new blood clots and it came back exactly like the one the night before so I had no worries about getting home and having a stroke. I was admitted to the hospital with a bubble on top of my knee the size of a ping pong ball. I agreed to have it drained for comfort measures and the doctor was able to aspirate 55cc of blood. My knee felt relief almost instantly but within two hours I could feel the swelling and pressure building. We did another aspiration/drain in the morning and this time 70ccs of blood was removed. Doc and I think that in my zeal to reach my goal of 90 with my ROM I may have torn some tissue and because of the Coumadin I have a bit of a bleed in my knee. I am watching it closely and taking it easy with PT so I am hopeful that the bleed will slow down and stop within a few days. Lesson learned! I was able to get some rest Saturday night but all day today I have been experiencing an achy burning type feeling. My pain meds seem less effective than usual which is not a good feeling but I am not at an intolerable level yet. I have been ordered to take it easy and I have been trying to follow doctor's orders. I am still doing light stretches and walking around every couple of hours to keep my knee joint from getting stiff. I have a follow up with my doctor on Tuesday but he said he was pleased with my progress when he saw me in the hospital-minus the blood clot! We are still trying to figure out how I could have developed a blood clot with such high PT INR levels. I think the clot has been there since surgery and it was missed with all the swelling on my first Doppler study. I am trying to convince my doctor to put me on xarelto so I can ditch these frequent blood tests and dietary restrictions. I am dreaming of leafy greens and my poor finger tips look like a pin cushion gone wrong. I have an appointment with my primary doctor tomorrow so we shall see what he suggests. The draw back to xarelto is that there is no antidote should a patient have a major bleed. Scary stuff so I want to make the safest and best decision I can. Thank you again to all that comment and offer words of support. It means so much to me. I am icing and elevating for those with inquiring minds and taking my pain meds around the clock as ordered. :angel:
 
Yikes, you've been through a lot in the past few days! Glad you didn't dilly dally around and got seen and treated. Sorry about the "golf ball" but I'm glad you got it treated. I hope you are on the mend soon. :console2:
 
@DanaDelight, Wow, you have really been through a lot! Hope you get the much needed rest you deserve and get back on the road to recovery. My hematologist put me on Xarelto and I was relieved to skip the blood tests. I have an appt. with him on Friday and hopefully I can quit taking it and get the filter removed that was implanted before my last TKR. Healing thoughts coming your way.
 
@DanaDelight, one month for you tomorrow, and me today. You've been through so much and so bravely. I do keep you in my thoughts and my heart and wish you the very best.
I was on Lovenox, so even though an injection everyday for four weeks, there were no dietary restrictions or blood tests. I guess, in your case, they pulled out the big guns because of your blood clot experience in the hospital.
You haven't posted an update in a while, I would love to know how you are doing.
 
4 weeks and 4 days post op and things are moving along and looking up. I reached 100 unassisted with my ROM on Wednesday. What an accomplishment considering I left the hospital at 48. I will admit that the stress of ROM had really taken a toll on my mentally during this journey. I was so afraid with two blood clots that I would never make it 90 much less 100. I can see the sun now through all the clouds! I will tell everyone that is struggling with their ROM to hang in there. It will get better. I had my 4 week post op check on Tuesday. My surgeon was satisfied with my flexion and extension. He has a very dry sense of humor so satisfied is how he reacts to just about everything. He did show a glimmer of excitement with my gait and seemed pleased to see how well I was walking, lack of a limp, and my weight distribution while walking. He took my walker away and told me to use a cane while I am out in public if I felt the need but for the most part he was fine with me ditching all the mobility aids. I have been cleared to drive but haven't tried it yet. I think I will try a parking lot first just so my husband can see that I am able to drive without causing a five car pile up. I was cleared for the swimming pool-thank goodness. There is nothing like being in the horrid heat of Tampa, Florida with a beautiful pool in your backyard and not being allowed to use it. Tomorrow will be my last day of in home physical therapy and Monday I start outpatient. I was very fortunate to find a place that is 3 miles from my house and has a good reputation. I have already talked to all the therapists and informed them that I did not want them trying to bend and break my knee in position. They all assured me that I am control of my therapy and they are in there to see me succeed! I will see the surgeon again in four weeks. I was taken off of Coumadin and put on xarelto because my PT INR levels would not come down. I was only on 2 mgs of Coumadin and my levels were still at a 5.4. I am okay with the new med as it means no more finger pokes and I can eat my greens again. I stopped on the way home and got the biggest bag of spinach I could find and ate just about all of it along with an avocado and a few stalks of broccoli. I am a green veggie addict! I was able to see the x-ray of my new knee. I think it is amazing and it looks beautiful to me. My first bill came in the mail on Monday. The hospital has billed my insurance 106,470.00 thus far. That figure does not include the doctor's fee or anesthesia. My husband and I did a quick total of all my knee procedures and our total is about 750,000.00. I would imagine that number is low. That did not include physical therapy, drugs, durable equipment, or office visits. Amazing. Thank goodness for some very good medical insurance. This is one of the good things that we earned for the 20+ years my husband spent serving this country.
I have a quick story to tell before I sign off. The day I was given the all clear to get in the pool and I came home and immediately suited up. It had rained right before I got in the pool so the water was a tad colder than it normally is for this time of year. I think the thermometer said 86 when I got in. It was all I could do not jump in the pool but I squashed the little kid talking in my head and took it slow and easy down the steps. I got in to my waist and just stood in the water letting my body relax. All of a sudden the weirdest feeling came over my leg that was painful and nauseating at the same time. The cooler water temps had penetrated my skin and I could feel it creeping down my replacement. I actually felt the cold water in the metal going down the internal portion of my lower leg. The best description would be like pouring cold water directly into the marrow of your leg bone. I had to put my head down on the side of the pool and ride out the very unnerving feeling. Thank goodness it was short lived but it is something I will not forget anytime soon. I will say that they water was extremely relaxing and better than any pain medication I could have taken. Stretching my leg was so much easier and pleasant than ever and my poor tight muscles relaxed instantly. My back had been hurting and sore lately so the pool brought some relief that area as well. I was so tempted to take off dive underwater but I decided to save that for later on when I am stronger. I would hate to come this far only to drown because I was trying to be Micheal Phelps! I basically spent 30 minutes floating around in the water bending and stretching my leg feeling like life could only get better if I had a cold beer in my hand. It has been a wonderful week thus far me. I look forward to accomplishing more and maybe putting my dance shoes on and trying out a few steps in the coming weeks. Best wishes to all my Bonesmart friends.
 
You're doing great. :yahoo:
 
5 weeks and 2 days today. I finally took the big leap and drove by myself to outpatient therapy on Monday. My only challenge was folding my long legs in and out of the car but I quickly figured out that if I slide the seat all the way back then getting in and out is a piece of cake. My first outpatient therapy session was good-better than I expected. My therapist is gentle and told me several times that she is not there to be bend and break me for the sake of a higher ROM number. She started the session with some very light stretching and then she applied some moist heat for about 10 minutes. The heat really helped to loosen some stiff muscles and then we moved on to quad sets and a few other exercises. She finished the session by doing some bending and stretching on my leg and knee all of which felt great. I had an episode of dizziness which in turn sent me into a bad case of nausea and then I threw up right there in the middle of the table. It hit me so quick that there was no time to look for a trash can. I considered my purse that was sitting at the end of the table but I it was zipped shut so that wasn't even an option. I am not sure where the vomiting came from but I surmise that the day was exhausting for me and this is how the mental and physical exhaustion manifested itself. My therapist was very understanding and wrapped up the session with a lot of encouraging words. I will go to therapy three days a week for a month and I am actually looking forward to it. I am beginning to feel good again and have periods of energy that allow me to do some light cleaning or make a simple meal for the family. My boys were thrilled that mom brought back taco Tuesday last night. My husband is a good cook but he doesn't cook like mom does and sometimes his meal choices leave a lot to the imagination or taste buds! The moments of energy are followed by the need to sit or lay down for an hour or so but I can do that with my current schedule and lifestyle so I take advantage of those moments when I can. I had been suffering from restless leg syndrome from day one after surgery. Some days it would get so bad I would sit on bed and just rock back and forth rubbing my leg and crying. Pain meds would not stop the horrid feelings running through my leg so I had been sucking it up hoping that it would stop sooner rather than later. I have recently found something that works wonders-for me. HEAT. I would have never put heat on my leg so soon after surgery but my OS and his nurse both suggested this at my 4 week post op visit. They told me low to medium heat for 20 minutes so I tried it and what a difference! I am finally able to get in bed at night and watch a show without the constant moving my leg around because it felt like electric zaps, pins and needles, burning, aching, muscle cramps and spasms, etc. I know heat is not in the mantra for Bonesmart but it might be an option for those that are not finding relief with ice and pain meds. I hope everyone has a good week and a steady recovery.
 
I'm glad the heat is helping the zaps. I don't know about the nausea other than you might need to make sure you're hydrated and have eaten something. It's amazing how PT can be real exertion even when you feel like it wouldn't be much regular life. Heck, I worked up a sweat doing 5 minutes on the exercise bike!
 
7 weeks post op. If you are expecting an up lifting or positive post then move on because this post will be neither. I knew my journey was too good to be true-I just knew it. I had been holding my breath just waiting to hit "a" wall or "the" wall and boy did I hit it at full speed. It started with when my OS decided that he would not give me any more pain meds at my 4 week check up. He feels that narcotics at four weeks should only be taken at night to help with sleep and since I am on a sleep med then I no longer need or require pain meds. I was shocked but what do you do? My primary physician will not and cannot write me a script for narcotics while I am under the care of another doctor. Florida has really cracked down on patients getting scripts from multiple doctors for the same condition. I am unable to take anti inflammatory meds because they can be hard on the kidneys and after my battle with kidney cancer I have to be very careful with meds. I also get some not so nice side effects from them so they are not even an option. I am pretty much stuck with Tylenol. So I just walked out of my doctor's office realizing that I may need to white knuckle through the next couple of weeks. I was pleasantly surprised that the pain wasn't too bad during the day but bedtime proved to be challenging with some really bad RLS. One day at a time became my mantra. We have a pool so I spent many days in there to relieve pain and stiffness and was actually feeling pretty good. I had a tiny limp when I walked but some days that would disappear. I was able to get up the steps in my house the big girl way and had made it down a few stairs without going one step at a time. Things were looking good. I actually felt that life was returning to normal and I was no longer thinking about my knee 24/7. Last Wednesday I worked harder in PT than ever. They added extra exercises including squats and the BIKE! I could not make a full rotation on the bike so they had me rock the pedals back and forth and I was able to get one backwards rotation during my six minutes on the bike. I left therapy feeling good and that is where everything went downhill. The next morning my leg from mid thigh to my ankle looked as if someone had pumped it up with air. I sat around all day with my leg packed in ice or in the pool. I was walking down our long hallway later that evening and the knee goes out! Thank goodness I was walking the speed of a sloth so I didn't really fall but it took me back to a time before my surgery when my knee would go out and the outcome was some sort of injury. I spent the evening tossing and turning with a deep ache in my leg that made finding any position to sleep impossible. I had therapy on Friday and my therapist knew something was wrong the minute she saw my face. She spent some time massaging the muscles and doing slow bends of the knee. They used the TENS unit for the first time and told me to spend the weekend resting and in the pool. Saturday started and ended with my knee swollen to a size that I saw the first few days after surgery. I broke down and cried several times but then I would stop and realize that the tears would not change a thing about my situation. Today I limped into PT looking like a little old lady. Tears just streamed down my cheeks and I felt beaten and broken. My therapist did a lot of massage and gentle bending and told me to call my OS in the morning if I still felt this way. I know there is nothing wrong with the hardware and this is probably just a very angry and inflamed knee so it seems fruitless to call my doctor. After my last visit I have lowered my expectations when it comes to him and having a sympathetic ear. I did forget to mention that at my four week check up that my OS told me that I was going to have to "suck up" a certain amount of pain because it is impossible for me to be pain free all the time during this recovery. So I am stuck in a big hole that contains quicksand and I am trying with all my might not to get sucked under. I hope I have a better out look and post in the coming days.
 
I am so sorry!!! I lost my narcotics at 5 weeks and battling with angry knees as well. I WISH I had a pool to take some pressure off. I way over did it when I was feeling good. Both knees are screaming at me and I am
Having no luck reducing the swelling. I cried yesterday and I never cry. I am so ready for this to be over and I have to go back to work next week. Scared??? Oh yeah!!!
 
I am sorry you have to go thru this. Can you make an appointment with a pain management doctor if your OS won't give you any more meds? They are making it impossible these days to recover properly!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom