Guest viewing is limited

TKR The beginning of my new life with a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kneeper -Exact date has been put in my signature. I am learning to take each day as it presents itself to me and roll with whatever changes happen in that day. Easier said than done on some days.
 
@DanaDelight, With my first knee replacement in January, I had poor range of motion, nausea, depression and everything else that comes with TKR. But even with all of that, I am glad I had the surgery done. I had my second TKR done 2 days after you. It is a little easier when you know what to expect. I can have a good day, sit down to eat a nice dinner, get up from the table and be weepy. No rhyme or reason. It is very hard to get through but you have to just keep going. With the first surgery, my surgeon would fuss at me when my knee would only bend 65 degrees at 2 weeks. The bending will come with time. He would hurt my feelings, I would go home and cry and a week later, my knee would be bending further. My home physical therapist told me I would never get past 115 degrees. I made it to 123 degrees, without painful therapy. All of that soft tissue has to settle down. My outpatient therapist is wonderful and does not believe that painful therapy is helpful. Thank goodness I found him!

You talked about dry heaves. Be sure to eat before taking your pain meds. I was told a couple of crackers was enough but it wasn't. I would eat a muffin or toast.

Hang in there!!!
 
@madinana, You will have days after surgery when you wonder why you had the TKR done. But I can't imagine you would regret having the surgery. It is so wonderful to walk without grinding pain. You will be happy you had it done!
 
:thankyou:@bottomshollow -Thank you for all the kind and supportive words. Patience is something I strive for every day of life no matter what I am facing. I have a mentality that this TKR is a second chance that was difficult for me to get. I do not want to disappoint myself or others by not giving 100% to this recovery process. My husband said that the look on my face when I got out of bed for the first time after surgery and walked was something he expects to see on the face of young children Christmas morning. I had pain but could of cared less. I treasured each and every step I took and cried because I was so appreciative for my new knee. When the blood clot was diagnosed the next day I felt like my entire world crumbled around me. I was banned to my bed for the next 72 hours and therapy was cancelled. I was allowed to get up and go the bathroom but other than that I was stuck. When I did get up to do therapy three days later I was acutely aware of the pain and the smile on my face was gone. I felt crushed. Now I am trying to rebuild my positive spirit and get back on the horse. I feel good and overall I am happy with where I am at in my recovery. I look to my fellow BoneSmart friends to push me along when I get stuck and remind me to take it one hour at a time. Thank you again for the supportive words. :dancy:
Hi and welcome to the other side! I'm always late in saying Hi. (How do you others know Someone has justcome on board anyway? ) I had BTKR 4/9 and just about recovered.
My 1st walk had the same feeling of euphoria, very little pain due to the epidural, helped by 2 nurses at midnight but my BP tanked and I almost passed out, due to the epidural still inserted. So, happy recovery. We'll be here the entire way!
 
@JustJeff -thank you for the well wishes. I usually look through the recovery threads section in the knee replacement area to see who has had their surgery. I have found a few people in the pre operative area that I really enjoy reading through their stories so I click on follow them and that way I can be updated whenever they post new content.
I am still enjoying that euphoria of walking on a pain free knee. It amazes me that even though I am having intense pain with the incision and muscles my actual knee feels wonderful. I find myself holding my breath just waiting for the crack or grinding of my old knee to return. I know that after I get through this recovery I will be unstoppable perhaps invincible!!!! Thank you again for the words of support.
 
Week #3 post op and still going through the ups and downs of recovery. I am still battling intense exhaustion trying to do the easiest of things-showering, making a snack, getting from point A to B, etc. My pain is declining but I still require my Percocet at regular intervals and after PT I end up taking a dose of meds provided for break through pain. My swelling has been minimal even right after surgery but I continue to ice and elevate because it does offer amazing relief. I am making steady progress in PT and reached a ROM of 90 today unaided. I feel my quad strength improving daily and walking feels great. I am amazed at how smooth my knee operates and how silent it is compared to all the cracking and popping of years past. I did experience a no brainer moment yesterday that I hope to never repeat-EVER. I was going down the stairs and for a split second I forgot the mantra of up with the good, down with the bad. I put my good foot down and of course muscle memory told my bad leg to just bend and go down the step. I'm not sure if I screamed first or heard the tear but both happened within a split second of each other. My husband came flying around the corner and I know he lost a handful of cardiac cells when he make face to face contact with me. I just sat right down on the stairs wailing in a totally primal way. The pain and burning was beyond anything I have ever experienced in my life. It took a few minutes for me to calm down and for the pain to subside. I was able to get up and make it down the stairs. I am pretty sure that I performed a manipulation on my own knee and it did not feel good. I learned a valuable lesson about remaining present in the moment and that I need to slow down especially when tackling things like stairs with a new knee. My knee is sore today but I was still able to make progress in PT so no damage has been done to me but I think my husband has some trauma! I am currently working on boosting my appetite since it has taken a long vacation. I have a difficult time dealing with no green veggies because of the Coumadin therapy so finding healthy substitutes that I like has been hard for me. I know my appetite will return once I am able to cut down on some of this medication. My husband has made it his mission to bring me anything and everything he thinks I might enjoy eating and I will admit I love the extra attention. Overall the past three weeks have been good and bad but not as bad as I had imagined prior to surgery. The number of good days are starting to outweigh the bad ones. Sometimes my progress seems so tiny that I don't notice it but then I step back and review say a week of my recovery I can see that I am making consistent strides. If you are struggling hang in there. It does get better-it really does.
 
Dana, it sounds like you are experiencing a very normal recovery. I don't see anything in what you did to worry about (except the stair thing :) )
It was tough not eating green veggies while on Coumadin, I know, but that will pass quickly when changed to an aspirin regimen. Just keep working on gentle flexing and the mantra and you'll be great!
 
@DanaDelight, You sound so positive! I am 2 days behind you and I have been having a pity party over meds and food not tasting good to me the last 2 days. This is my year of recovery and I am ready for this second TKR to be over. Wish I was as positive as you!
 
@Texan -I fall way short of being positive. Most days I feel like I am just making it through the day. I am not happy and not sad-just somewhere in between-kinda blah I guess. I have had several fall apart and cry moments and many just pull the covers up and sleep the day away. :sleeep: My husband is trying to get my out of the house even if it is to just drive around the neighborhood but I will admit that I am scared to leave my nest. I hate staring at these walls all day but I also hate the idea of getting away from the house and having something happen. I know that most likely nothing will happen but I worry. I like knowing I have ice at my finger tips and that my pain medications are in the drawer next to me if I need them. I worry about going out and having some big attack of pain. I worry that someone might get too close to me and bump my knee. I worry that I might fall while I am out. I need to quite worrying. :shocked: I tell myself that all these feelings are temporary. I have been through major knee surgery before and I went through all these feelings then and I survived but I am older now and obviously I worry more. My entries here on Bonesmart act as my therapy. I write what I know I should be doing but in reality I am full of anxiety and doubt just like a majority of people that are members of this site. I like to think I have a good sense of humor and can see the positive in just about anything or anybody but I have had days that my positive nature is nowhere to be found. I try to celebrate small victories like finding something to eat that tastes good or getting a few hours of sleep or finding a comfortable position for me knee. I try to look back on my small victories and tell myself that combining the small ones equals some big ones. I am thrilled to see my ROM improving when just a week ago I was so frustrated and convinced my knee would never bend again. I am going to force myself to leave my house tomorrow and take a short trip to my friend's house a few blocks away. I am thankful that my pain is under control for the most part. I am thankful that my husband is so supportive and helpful during my recovery. I am thankful that my friends call or text daily to check on me. I am thankful that I was given this new knee and in a few months time this pity party will be a thing of the past. Hang in there Texan. I am going through a lot of the same things you are. We will get through this-we have no other choice now do we? Have a good night. Let's make a deal. You read this and smile even if it is forced and I will smile right back.
 
Prayers for you, Dana! I think the anesthesia combined with the pain meds and the trauma of surgery have our emotions flying all over the place! I did the same thing as you, crying for reasons unknown, holing up in our spare bedroom, little appetite. I would drink the Glucerna shakes and skip the meal. It helps keep the glucose levels in the blood stable. Try to enjoy a few short outings. Take your meds with you and an easy to carry ice gel pack. I am glad your husband is helping you. : )


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
@DanaDelight, I hope your outing to see your friend went well today. I told my husband that I was looking forward to p/t today just so I could get out of the house. It takes so little to make me happy!
 
@Texan -my outing did go well. I managed to stay out for an hour and it was nice to have a change of scenery and catch up on the latest gossip with my girlfriend. I was relieved to see that I could get in and out of the front seat of my car with very little difficulty. It is all about the angles right now but it was fairly easy to get in and out. My leg was comfortable hanging over the seat so now I know that short trips will be okay which helps ease my mind. My leg is stiff today because of the added activity but nothing a little ice won't help. I am glad I took the leap and went out for the visit. I was going to have to do it sometime. It really helped my mental recovery and has motivated me to do it more often. Baby steps!
 
@DanaDelight, If you go on an outing a little further from home, take a big fat pillow to put under your leg. It makes it a little more comfortable and gives the knee some support when you extend the leg.
 
@DanaDelight, thinking of you and following your posts. You were one of the very few who responded to my very upbeat post about how great I was doing at 2 weeks. I appreciated your thoughtful reply. Seems like there is a lot more attention to moving through difficulties on these forums, which is very understandable.
I'm glad that you are getting out. For me, my first time out was like seeing in technicolor after living in a black and white noir movie.
I had a huge setback, that I think I'm coming out of with the help of some drugs. Pretty much stayed in bed for a week. Back to a walker after barely needing a cane. I've posted in my recovery thread so I won't go into it. But I guess there isn't any free ride with this surgery.
You and @Texan are sort of my trail buddies since we are so close in our surgery dates.
I go to outpatient PT, for the first time on Tuesday.
Anyway, just checking in and wishing you well.
 
@DanaDelight
Hello and welcome to the "bright side"! I have to keep telling myself that, because I know that time will prove to me that by having this surgery I did the right thing! I wanted to ease your fears a little. After following this forum and listening to all of the long time members, I have really not put a lot of emphasis on my ROM or extension numbers. Mostly, because my main objective is to get out of pain and to get some much needed sleep!
So my mantra has has been when I am home to rest, rest, rest and ice, elevate and never forget my meds! Now the med part has not been too hard too forget because every three hours the tendinitis I have on my knee starts this painful stabbing , so , I know it's time for meds!

I returned to work part time 3 weeks after, and this Monday, full time. Have not had time to do exercises, so I thought oh boy , I will never heal, well, @Josephine advises me if I had to go to work to forget about them and just concentrate on the mantra! Boy, was she ever right (again) as I went to my first outpatient PT and he did not mention any numbers until after my massage and stimulation. He just said , " while you have you knee up lets just measure". So I am at 6 a half weeks out and I am at 115 ROM. He said that was great,

So please go easy on yourself! You can't exercise if you are in pain. And the numbers will come as you heal. You've been through a lot, so rest, heal and know that everything will be alright!
Take care of yourself and I'll come back to chat to see how you are!
(From the one who said I would never,ever,ever have this surgery again!)

Happy Fourth!
JoAnne
 
Thanks for the plaudit, Quasi, but please don't make my name a tag when it's just being used in the course of conversation. I get plenty anyway and don't need unnecessary ones! :)
 
3 weeks and 5 days. Well ladies and gentlemen I am writing this update from my hospital bed. I will get to the hows and whys later. I had a yucky Wednesday-pain and stiffness probably brought on by an offshore storm. My physical therapist was able to work out a lot of the pain and stiffness and surprisingly my ROM stayed the same from the day before-85. Thursday I felt much better physically and mentally. I was able to eat a decent breakfast which was the first for me since surgery. I was up and about doing little things on Thursday so when physical therapy came I felt ready to get the job done. We breezed through exercises and my ROM was 93 unaided! I was thrilled because I had set a goal of 90 by Friday. The therapist left with me in an excellent mood. I get a day off from therapy and won't see her until Saturday rather than Friday. I planned on resting Friday and getting into my pool for the first time since surgery. Technically I had not been released by my doctor to go swimming but I knew I would be okay. I had a tegederm and I only had a few superficial scabs. I really wanted in the water to take some of the weight off of my poor back and butt and give my leg a chance to float and relax. Things never turn out how we plan. I woke up Friday with intense knee pain. The pain level reminded me of what I woke up to immediately after surgery. My doctor had just changed my meds to every six hours instead of 4. I tried so hard Friday to follow the six hour protocol but I couldn't. At the five hour mark I was shaking, my leg was shaking like Peg Bundy, I was rubbing the painful leg and going between walking, stretching, mild exercises, sitting while elevating leg, icing the leg, putting Lidoderm patches on, and then finally breaking down before the six hour mark and taking two Percocet. The Percocet would get my pain down from a 10 to a six for about an hour and a half-maybe two-and then the cycle would start all over again. I was losing control and started throwing up because I couldn't handle the discomfort. Something felt very wrong and I started racking my brain trying to figure out what could be causing this sudden jump in pain. Later on the in the evening I noticed a burning sensation in the bend of my knee and heat radiating off this area. Blood clot was all I could think of. I had one that was found the day after surgery because I pushed the nurses that something was really wrong with my leg. I ran through all the symptoms of that night and I got a terrible feeling deep in my gut that what I was experiencing was exactly the same thing. I knew this was not something I could wait and see if it would get better so I called my OS who ordered me to the ER stat. It was determined that indeed I have another DVT behind my knee in the exact place that I had been feeling the pain and burning. The doctors are stumped as to how I could develop a new DVT with all the Coumadin that I had been taken. My PT INR numbers tonight were 54.5 and 5.5. Anyone with medical knowledge knows that those are very high numbers and my blood is very thin at this point so developing a clot is unusually. The talk among the professionals leans towards the possibility that this clot was present wit the first one 2 days post op and was missed because of the location, swelling, and bleeding in the area. The original clot in the calf is shrinking so my body is doing its job which is great news. So I have decided to stay at this five star accommodation for at least a night for observation and pain control. I will have another Doppler study done tomorrow to check on the size and location of my newest trouble maker. They will consult internal medicine and try to get my PT INR levels under control. I have also developed a golf ball sized swelling on the very top of my knee that is extremely tender to the touch. I am pretty sure it is a pocket of bloody fluid and should probably be drained for comfort measures but also as a way to obtain samples that can be analyzed for signs of infection. My knee is not stiff and still bends well for me. Sometimes doing heel slides helps to alleviate some of the painful symptoms I have been experiencing. So I thought I would update those that were following me that I have hit one of those bumps/ditches in the road. I will get good pain relief tonight and a private room and all PT has been cancelled so there are a few positives. I will update as I know more.
 
@sf-slim it sounds like you are doing well.
Thanks for keeping up with my progress @msmechanic58 I'm still getting incredible intense shooting nerve pain when I make the slightest move toward rolling to the ball of my foot as in taking a step. I wonder what will resolve this. And why this would come on suddenly like this after sixteen days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom