Guest viewing is limited

TKR The adventure begins

I tried tylenol pm and melatonin last night and I slept until 12:30 and then had a rough rest of the night. Not worth the trouble.
 
Okay, another attempt to sleep begins. I try something different every night. Today two tylenol pm,no melatonin, no wine. I lay on couch watching Netflix until I got sleepy approx 1/2 hour after taking tylenol pm. Going to bed now with ice. Hoping for the elusive good nights sleep. If this does little good, tomorrow will be a big glass of wine and melatonin.
 
Sleep well @Jajakio. I also don't sleep well and just in the past week or so can tolerate side sleeping but usually just minutes at a time. What part of TN are you from?
 
Beticu, I live south of Clarksville, heading toward Nashville.
 
I did it , I did it I did it ! I finally got a decent nights sleep. I went to bed at 11 with 2 tylenol pm (I tried 1 last night and it did absolutely nothing) and slept until 3:30. I went to the bathroom, re iced, no more pain meds and went right back to bed and slept until after 7. In my own bed all night. Yay me! I feel pretty chipper this morning. My first report since going back to work is due this afternoon. I'm most of the way done. Just need to clean up a few things. Maybe another hour, two at most on computer and all day to accomplish it. Now mind you, I normally turn out 5 appraisal reports a week not one but I'm going to stick to one a week for the next two weeks and see where I go from there. I could never go back to work on a normal job yet. With the exception of 2 hours oUT for inspection on Tuesday, I've done this all in the home office on my time of an hour or two on the computer followed by at least as long icing and elevating.
 
Yay on the sleep! A good night's sleep makes everything much better. And I know what you mean about getting back to work, even if work is just on a computer. I'm a writer, and I can work from home, so don't have to commute. You'd think it was easy to get back up to speed, right? Especially with a laptop I can prop on my lap just about anywhere. But it doesn't quite work that way.

There's a mental/energy level recovery going on right alongside the physical one. For the longest time, I couldn't concentrate at the level I needed to do serious writing. It took two months before I started to be up to doing my work again.
 
I agree, Susie. That was another reason for a slow comeback. After an hour or so on the computer, my brain got tired too. Slowly the fog is lifting. Getting off the oxy helped some but I think our brains still get as tired as our bodies. Still, it felt good to be productive.
 
Yeah for good sleep! Sleeping better really helps in the mental energy department. And it sounds like you have a good plan for easing back into work.
 
It took two months before I started to be up to doing my work again.
This is a helpful perspective (I'm a writer/editor). I don't think we take into account the cognitive/psychological part of recovery (or at least I don't).
 
A good night's sleep is such a blessing!
 
I'm a couple of days past the 5 week mark. I'm still sleeping pitifully. Last night was typical. 2 tylenol pm half an hour before bed. 3 hours sleep, then up to couch, awake a long while, 2 more hours sleep, back to bed maybe another horrible hour and a half before giving up and getting up. I've experimented with tylenol pm, melatonin, a glass of wine before bed, rubbing biofreeze everywhere but right on the scar. The pain is not awful, it's more like hardcore insomnia.

On the plus side, scar is entirely healed and I've been able to get back in my hot tub the last few days. It was good overall. Great for general aches and pains but it seems to be neither positive nor negative for the new knee. I know some people mentioned swelling issues,so I kept it down to 10 minutes and 101 temperature. We cleaned and freshly filled it before I got in and chemicals are properly balanced. I been using it for 3 days and feel fine. No swelling, just no great pain relief for knee. Maybe the same, maybe slightly better. My back and non operated knee appreciate it though.
 
Have you tried just Benedryl for sleeping? You know, Tyleol pm is Tylenol plus Benedry! I find that helps me.
Also, deep breathing when I get in the bed and if I wake at night. Elusive sleep makes for a frustrating day ( and night!) Hope you get a good nap today!
 
Helen, thanks for the Benadryl sugggestion. Another friend suggested the same thing today. I thought I had some and just before bed I tried to find it and I looks like we are out, so maybe I will pick up some tomorrow.

This has been a pretty decent day. Pain is definitely less than a couple of weeks ago. I can go out and about for an hour or two with minimal pain. I can drive. I'm pushing a cart through the grocery store now, not using the ridey cart. This evening I made chicken on the grill, steamed some green beans from the gatden, and made scalloped potatoes. I even made a fresh fruit dessert. I completed my first appraisal job last week and got the report in on time and approved. I have another inspection to do tomorrow and a week to complete the report. Baby steps. I am not sorry I had the surgery nor have I ever been. I was in a lot of pain before and I am in some ways at least as functional as before I had the surgery. If I can just get back to sleeping well, I will be happy. I'm a few days past the five week mark and overall I'm pleased with where I am.
 
Glory Be! Another decent night. Two tylenol pm and a glass of wine before bed just before 11. I woke up about 12:30, couldn't get comfortable, rolled around like the proverbial rotisserie chicken and briefly tried laying on sides with pillow. Nothing I could do for more than a couple of minutes but I tired myself out enough to go back to sleep on my back. Slept until 5, went to the bathroom, re iced and slept again until 8. I feel almost human this morning.

I am sitting here drinking coffee and eating blueberries. I have my first solo appraisal inspection this morning. I did my first job last week but my son came along. This is a tiny 1000 sf home with no extras on a flat lot. It's a half hour drive (which I proved to myself last week I can accomplish) and maybe 45 minutes at the house. I will bring my cane and I anticipate I will be fine. Again a repossessed property with a lockbox. Nobody home so I can take my time and rest if need be. Honestly, I'm glad to be back to work even if I'm moving at a quarter of my usual speed. I have all week to finish this report and two hours a day at most on the computer should do it.
 
It sounds like you're doing very well! It's so nice to get back to normal things.
 
Well I skipped my appraisal inspection because it was raining hard yesterday so I postponed until today. It was a vacant house so no one cares when I go as long as report is done on time. I did okay considering this was my first solo job since surgery. I got tired and sat down for 10 minutes and made notes but managed to finish and had enough energy to stop at the grocery for a few minutes on the way home. Husband was home and kind enough to unload groceries and put away. We had a quick sandwich for lunch and he headed out to do some afternoon inspections and I took an hour nap with ice. I just got up and I think I'll go sit in the hot tub and then maybe go down to the computer and put in 2 hours on the report. I have a few days until it is due but need to space it out as it still gets uncomfortable to sit for more than a couple of hours. My plan had been to go back full time by September, but not sure than will happen or not. Just taking it one week at a time and deciding how much I can do next week.
 
You sound like you have a very smart plan going. And it's great that you can postpone full time work! Let your body be your guide.
 
6 weeks out today. I'm slowly easing back into normal. Ran errands from 9 until 11. Came home and made brunch with homemade waffles. Rested and iced for about 90 minutes. Then went to funeral an hour drive there and hour back. Came home iced for an hour, then went to dinner and now home and feeling good.
 
Wow! That's a lot of actvity for 6 weeks! It does feel good to get back to normal!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom