Guest viewing is limited

TKR The adventure begins

Okay, now I did it! Out on an appraisal job yesterday, just walking through the grass in the front yard of an empty house. I tripped in a slight hole and hit the ground hard. Cut my lip, bruised up, twisted one ankle and more importantly twisted my 16 month old new knee. I've fallen before but nothing bad. This was rough. I sat on the ground for 10 minutes before I could get up. Scooted to the steps and scootched up backwards onto the first step and sat there another 5 minutes before I could stand up. One ankle and the other knee swollen and a fair amount of pain. I was capable of driving home. But have been doing a lot of resting and icing since.

I wouldn't even think of going to the doctor if I didn't have the new knee. I've googled everything I can think of and it all says I'm very unlikely to have damaged the implant, especially 16 months out. I felt the knee twist as I went down and i think it is just sprained. At least i hope so. It doesnt hurt as much as yesterday but im still limping hard. Almost no pain when I'm down resting. I can stand up and put my weight on it with very little pain and it feels sturdy. Hurts to bend it but not horribly. Aleeve yesterday, no meds today. I was 0 extension immediately after surgery and this doesnt feel quite like zero, but maybe its just swollen. Stairs are not fun. Reminds me of my presurgery days when I was rationing trips up and down the stairs. While it does make me realize how far I've come, I'm a little paranoid. Surely if I damaged the implant, it would hurt worse that this, wouldn't it? Its mildly swollen, no bruising or redness.

I hate going to the doctor. Im thinking I give it a few days and see if it improves on its own? With the stupid insurance ive got, I need a GP appointment first, then a referral to the ortho doc. I could go to urgent care, but a subtle difference in the implant might not be easy to spot if I get someone with little experience with implants. I used to type for a radiologist many years ago and I know it isn't as easy as it sounds to spot subtle issues on xrays. What does anyone else think? Supposedly damage to implant is pretty rare.
 
I also stepped in a hole, but broke my foot and ankle, and fell directly on my new knee that was 15 days from its first birthday. I have no kneecap, so didn't have that protection for the implant. It hurt very badly for a week or so, but the implant was fine. It was all soft tissue damage. Later more knee pain was caused because I couldn't walk on it for 6 weeks. That new knee did not like that one bit! I think your implant is fine. If I didn't break mine when falling directly on it with no kneecap, your knee is more than likely soft tissues angered also. Ice and elevate all those sore joints. I hope you feel better really soon.
 
Thank you @sistersinhim. That's what I was hoping. I hadn't iced in months before this but I've been icing several times today and yesterday. Ive been mostly at my desk ( much earier to sit with knee down than right after surgery) or leg propped up on the couch. It feels like early days post surgery. Not that much pain but the stiffness and the getting up to walk every couple of hours. I was even sorry I had lent my high toilet seat to a friend. We recently installed a comfort height toilet in the hall bath and while it is better than the average height one in the master bath, I think I'm still going to want my old toilet riser with arms back before the next knee surgery.
 
Oh yeah. I really like my riser with the arms. I found an actual porta potty at a yard sale. I took off the potty part and used the rails on my higher toilet in the master bath. For my den bath, I installed the riser seat with the arms. Those arms are the only way to 'go'! Pun intended!
 
Oh no, I’m so sorry you fell, you were doing so well! Hugs and prayers that it’s only soft tissue damage. :console2:

Josephine is away this week but she’ll be back next week if you need her.
 
Thanks, @Jockette. Im just going to wait it out and rest and ice. My ankle hurts too but I'm not stressed about that. If I'm not any better by the end of the week, I may go get the knee xrayed. Im hoping a few days of rest will be enough to show me im heading in the right direction. I truly hate going to the doctor. I can take a couple days off but I have 2 inspections I need done by Friday. I'll have to take my husband or son and hobble around like I did after surgery.
 
I’m with you on the going to the doctor thing!

Be really careful hobbling! Maybe take a cane?

I still feel off balance on grass, so if I know I’m going to be on it, I take my cane. (Not that a cane would help if one stepped in a hole.)
 
Tomorrow will be a week since I fell and things are much improved. I spent most of Tuesady, Wednesday and Thursday on the couch elevating and icing a good part of the day. My knee was swollen enough to affect both flexion and extension. Things got better fairly quickly and by Thursday I was up part of the day. By Friday evening I was still stiff but made a short grocery store run. Today I've got all my flexion and extension back and walking does not hurt. Still mild pain on stairs but coming along. I think I just did a mild sprain and new knee will fully recover.

It makes me realize how far I've come. I really chafed at being down for the last few days. It took me back to the way i felt before surgery. I was back to rationing trips up and down the stairs. That used to the the norm for me. I'd stand at the foot of the stairs and it would seem like Mount Everest. I hobbled down the stairs the day after i fell and was as awful and painful as presurgery. Im really grateful for all the help and encouragement Ive recieved on here since surgery. Sometimes early on it's hard to look ahead and envision yourself pain free and easily mobile again.

I've achieved that and it really is a world of difference. This small setback is nearly back to normal. Hang in there recent surgery people, it really will get better.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom