Guest viewing is limited

TKR The adventure begins

Those long days trouble us for quite some time, I guess. Your overall progress sound great, though. Congrats on what seems to be a really good recovery. I love good news!
 
Unfortunately, the knee is boss for at least 6-9 months! It lets you know when it's unhappy with you and tells you to slow down. You are doing great for being 3 1/2 months out! Just remember to pace yourself, and you and your knee will be much happier!
 
I still have a bit of trouble sitting with my foot on the floor. As long as I can stretch my leg out in front of me a bit I am comfortable enough, but if it’s for an hour or two, like in a restaurant, it’s sore when I get up and a little difficult to walk.
 
I always took my cane with me to prop up on. That saved a lot of pain from sitting! You can set the handle of the cane on the seat and stretch it out and put your leg over it.
 
@Jockette, I've discovered propping my ankle on the cane helps for a short time in the car if the knee gets crabby. That down position can still be tough when it's for a long time. I've been known to "dance" while seated in the car too. Moving those tootsies to some good music helps at least somewhat.
 
I have very little space in front of me in my Matrix to be able to prop my foot up on my cane, but a friend who had knee replacement before me told me to put a small pillow on the floor of the car for my foot. I’m still using it because I like it! It gives me an extra cushion over bumps.
 
4 months

I'm sleeping pretty well at night and can sleep on either side without discomfort. I'm doing full days of walking and stairs. I did an appraisal of huge Mcmansion repossessed home this morning. Took me 3 hours to inspect and measure and hike way back to where the back of the acreage met the river. Hard work to measure it all and I did fine. Had enough energy to stop for groceries on the way home and work on the computer for a few hours in the afternoon. I can't help but think what a nightmare that job would have been in the last few months before surgery. I know i couldnt have done it without help and several rest breaks. Now i didnt even need a real break. I stopped a time or two for 5 minutes and sat down to make notes but got up as soon as i was done writing. Im still not totally pain free but is mild discomfort and 3 flights of stairs was no big deal. My energy levels are better than they were a month ago and i would guess ROM is equal on both knees, surgical and non surgical.

All in all I'm doing QUITE well. Final little things I could wish for is a little better form going down stairs foot over foot and a total absence of any kind of discomfort.

Still having the odd zinger. Quite a few last week, largely while sitting on the couch with the knee up. Maybe it's a good thing, my numbness seems to be only half numb and shrinking a little in size. And the odd little phantom sensation 4 inches over from where i would run my finger along my knee seems to have disappeared altogether. Those zingers feel like a static electricity shock out of the blue. Last week they were stronger or sharper than they were a month ago. This week they seem to be settling down again.
 
Great report, @Jajakio. It seems like your recovery is progressing at a good pace. Wow oh wow on being able to climb three flights of stairs, walk down to the river and stay on your feet for 3 hours - and then still have energy to stop for groceries! Knee-rah, cartwheels and other expressions of joy are in order! :wowspring::dancy::yahoo: I'm sure in no time you will be doing those stairs foot over foot without pain. Congratulations.
 
4 and a half months

Not much progress recently. I'm working full time and managing well. But then again I've got an easier job than most people with a mix of out of office and computer time and I'm totally in charge of my own schedule. As long as I get my appraisal jobs in on time no one cares if I knock off at 2pm and take an hour nap. Since I work at home I did that frequently in the beginning but not so much any more. One day last week I did a 5 hour run with 3 inspections and came home and parked myself on the couch for 2 hours of Netflix with my knee up. But that's kind of the exception any more. I usually do 8 or 10 hour days with the occasional day off when my schedule permits. And I do realize that's nothing to complain about. So so much better than presurgery.

But I seem to be making little or no noticeable progress lately though. I feel like I am still about where I was a month ago. Still mild pain or discomfort now and then. But not too bad. I usually take aspirin or Tylenol once a week or so and thats usually for my back not my knee. Still struggling with going up and down stairs with good foot over foot form. Stairs aren't painful, very mild twinges but I still go up and down one foot at a time unless I force myself to do foot over foot. I am grateful stairs arent a big deal and I go up and down stairs to my office several times a day without dreading it like I used to. I guess I've made the easy gains and it might be slower from here on out. Or maybe I've raised the bar and am expecting totally normal without even minor issues.

Or maybe I'm grumpy because the fibromyalgia is kicking in this week. I don't have it bad and can go weeks, sometimes months, between really bad episodes. In fact, I went almost 4 months after surgery without too much of an issue. But its nasty cold rainy November and this is one of my " feels like someone beat me up with a baseball bat " days. The knee is no worse than anything else. And it's depressing to have it reinforced that knee surgery isn't going to solve all my problems. I had much of this week off although I was cooking for the family, but I didn't think I overdid. Knee didnt swell but Friday afternoon I started aching all over and last night was rough as was today. I had planned to go the big flea market today and walk around for a couple of hours. Except for some brief treadmill and recumbent bike, I didn't do much of anything today and spent half the day on the couch. I hate that. Hopefully this will pass in day or two and I'll be more cheerful. I'm back on the low carb, no natural or artificial sugar diet that usually helps my fibro some as well as my arthritis. But generally takes a least a week, sometimes 2, to do any good. And it doesn't do miracles even if does help a little.
 
Last edited:
It seems my conversations still revolve around knees. I had two interesting knee related discussions yesterday. I met an older woman who was down visiting her daughter for the winter. She told me she had bilateral knee replacements 25 years ago and knees are still going strong. That was comforting to hear.

Then I had a longer discussion with a friend who is retired military. He's working toward having a knee replacent and keeps asking me about my progress. He's in process of planning surgery through the Veterans Administration and just learned he get 13 months of 100% disability pay following the surgery. 13 months of paid leave to recover! That's pretty amazing considering some of us are lucky to get 12 weeks. I asked him if he's going to do bilateral but he says his doctor will only do one at a time and he figures he might as well space them a year or so apart. Hes late 50s like me and is on military retirement pay plus runs a small business with two adult sons who work for him . I can't imagine taking that much time off. I was bored and wanting to get back to work after a month and was full time again by about 9 weeks. I guess I'm not ready to retire yet. My non operated knee remains decent with only occasional twinges and i have hopes of putting that surgery off for a year or more
 
But its nasty cold rainy November and this is one of my " feels like someone beat me up with a baseball bat " days. The knee is no worse than anything else. And it's depressing to have it reinforced that knee surgery isn't going to solve all my problems.

Like being beaten up with a baseball bat: That’s pretty much how I felt for at least two days after our family Thanksgiving celebration. I so wanted my TKR to fix everything; however, the knee can’t be blamed for the fact that my entire body was aching, even to the roots of my hair! I don’t have fibromyalgia, but other issues—old back injuries, thyroid ups and downs, etc.—need consideration and care. Probably the big takeaway is that even though we “didn’t think [we] overdid,” we DID!

Except for some brief treadmill and recumbent bike, I didn't do much of anything today and spent half the day on the couch. I hate that.

I’m also hating the necessity of being inactive after excessive activity. Having followed your thread, I know I’m not nearly as active as you are, so you must be chafing even more vehemently than I am at the “couch potato” routine! You say that you don’t see a lot of progress these days, but I bet your time as “couch potato” is significantly reduced from the earlier days when you overdid it.

Congratulations on being able to handle full work days like a champ! I think that’s a wonderful achievement. Sitting at a computer isn’t for wimps. I never knew until my TKR how hard sitting with legs down in a static position can be on the body. I think your attitude about stairs is sensible. I’m doing the same. Good foot-over-foot form will come. In the meantime, for expedience and comfort, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with going one foot at a time.
 
Thank you, @Polkadot . You always have a sensible take on things. You aren't much ahead of me, your MUA was only about a week before my surgery.

After 6 or 8 weeks of pretty awful back pain finally seems to be subsiding , only to be replaced by sore ankles and fibro issues. I just can't win. Someone told me it would be months until the rest of my body adjusting to the new knee and new gait. Like many of us, there was at least a few years of pain and limping before surgery and i guess it makes sense that it would take a while to get the rest of my body adjusted to more activity and a new gait. About 6 months after her knee replacement my sister complained to me that the only thing that wasn't hurting was her knee. That how I feel.

I'm less than a week short of 5 months and the knee is doing pretty well but no new progress to report. I'm hopeful I will come the rest of the way to good foot over foot stair climbing but I'm beginning to wonder if part of the problem isn't my non operated knee. I know it will need to be replaced eventually per my bone on bone x rays but there isn't much pain yet. Still, the other knee started off being a bit stiff and not quite as strong before it really began to deteriorate a few years later. It isn't perfect but I think I can wait a bit. I guess I need to concentrate on losing more weight to be ready for surgery if and when I need it. I had trouble losing it last time until I had no choice and was in enough pain I had constant motivation. I need to do this now!
 
Midway between 5-6 months

The knee is near normal but not quite. 98% of the time no pain. Just the occasional mild pain that usually stops if I shift my position a little or do a few heel pumps. Almost no stiffness even when I first get up in the morning. A month ago there was a slight kind of tingly stiffness in the morning. Now nothing. Just a nice normal solid knee. No swelling of any kind within the last month. Overall doing very well and glad I had the surgery.

Stamina is near norma most days. I can do 10 hour days and come home and cook. I can hike, bike, but decided to put off skiing until next year. Kids went ice skating on new outdoor rink downtown and I wanted to go badly but decided I might want to wait on that too. I may be a southerner now but I grew up near Chicago and skated a lot as a kid. Oh well, theres always next year.

On the other hand, the rest of me isn't fantastic. Fibromyalgia kicked in again in November as it does most years when it gets cold and rainy. I don't have it near as bad as some people do but it seems worse than usual this winter. Plus a bit of arthritis. The hot tub has been my best friend lately. I'm wondering if stress of surgery plus any effect on my immune system is making the fibro worse. Anybody who is a couple of years out from their surgery care to comment on rest of the body pain the first year as compared to later on? Im working on losing weight, eating better and generally trying to take care of myself. Im walking and riding the recumbent bike but havent done a gym type exercise program. January might be a good time to start. That will put me 6 months out from the surgery.
 
It sounds as if your knee is continuing to do well. It's passed all the usual big milestones, but it's still working on completing its recovery. I guess at this stage, there aren't any major new achievements to celebrate, but you can give your knee a gold star for continuing to improve unobtrusively.

I don't have fibromyalgia, but I should think that any major stress to your body (such as a knee replacement) could make it flare up. I'm sorry about that. My brother-in-law has fibromyalgia and he says it's a miserable thing.
 
It is so wonderful to get back to your old, enjoyable activities. I remember even enjoying been able to do housework again! Not so much now!
 
No, @sistersinhim, I can't say I'm enjoying housework. But that would be first for me if I did. My house is cleaner that it was 6 months ago though.

I'm enjoying cooking, taking as long as I need to shop and planning a spring vacation. I baked brioche today and relaxed the diet long enough to enjoy a couple of pieces of hot from the oven bread slathered in butter. I had a salad for dinner to try to make up for it. Its nice to be able to stand at the stove as long as i like without pain. It's also nice to be able to shop leisurely instead of the presurgery get in and hustle to get what was absolutely necessary before the knee gave out. Hang in there, new people. It will get better and you'll be glad you had it done. Eventually.
 
I'm not a cook! I either grill or microwave.

Being able to go to the stores and not being reminded constantly about knee pain is such a wonderful improvement. The early days of recovery are left behind and a new painfree knee is ahead!
 
Sorry to hear that your fibromyalgia is acting up. :sad: I don’t have that, but I did break out in mysterious hives a couple months ago. My dermatologist scratched his head (I am allergic only to gold, which I found out when I was tested for allergies prior to surgery) and said his best guess was my immune system was a “bit down” due to the surgery and that my symptoms would resolve naturally. They did. But I was surprised by that.

It’s great you’re back to doing everyday activities and finding joy in them again. I too love to cook and it’s such a pleasure to be able to plan, buy, prep, and cook a full meal for family again. Though recovery is still on-going, the major healing is all done. Pain-free knees are a blessing!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom