Guest viewing is limited

Thank goodness for Alexa

Status
Not open for further replies.
My OS sent me home with a folder full of information- what to do and when to do it. I am on information overload ! Starting @ 3 wks prior to surgery, I have meds to stop and meds to start. A few days before I have to wash with Hibiclens and use the ointment in my nose.
I was going to make a calendar and mark all the pertinent dates but I like the Alexa idea. I do not have alexa but have Suri on my phone and Cortana on my PC so perhaps I could do something similar with either of those two ( or both !)
 
@Jle57,@ UACats70 I am using the Rothman as well. My surgery is scheduled for Feb 20.
Thanks for reminding me that I need to log in to check that I have finished my questions.
 
UACats70 has had her surgery. Let's follow her progress in the Knee Replacement Recovery Area now.
 
Let us know exactly what you use Alexa for. Got one for Christmas but at the time it just seemed like a gimick and that my phone could do everything that Alexa could.
 
So far, I have Alexa reminding me every 4 hours to take meds. I will mess around with PT reminders tomorrow... well, today since its after midnight here.
 
So far, I have Alexa reminding me every 4 hours to take meds. I will mess around with PT reminders tomorrow... well, today since its after midnight here.

Fun, been watching old Knight rider reruns, kit the car computer was Alexa!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I just was reading through all my pre-op stuff. I have so much to do/remember before surgery. I put it all on my calendar and will ask Alexa what I am supposed to do each day... otherwise, I know I'd forget or get them mixed up.

Twice a day for 5 days before surgery, put Mupirocin ointment in each nostril
Twice a day for 3 days before surgery, wash body with Hibiclens
Take two 200mg Celebrex for 2 days before surgery
Take one 10mg extended release Oxycontin the morning of surgery

Anyone else have all this precautionary measures?

I had to do the Hibiclens shower and the ointment in my nostrils. I searched the ointment online and found a warning to not use inside the nostrils. I had to stop my Coumadin and not take any anti inflammatory meds. By and chance were your surgeons from UPMC?
 
Nope. Rothman Institute.


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with your upcoming surgery.


08/12/2016 THR
09/10/2016 REMOVAL of THR AND PLACEMENT OF ANTIBIOTIC SPACER
11/16/2016 REVISION THR
 
@UACats70, I got so tickled reading your blog about Alexa and seeing someone ask "Who's Alexa, your daughter?" I just got an echo dot for Christmas and have been figuring it out. A few weeks ago I would have asked you the same question.

I saw that you had surgery yesterday. I hope you are doing well today and that the surgery was successful. I don't really know the acronym PKR....what did you have done exactly?
 
PKR is Partial Knee Replacement.
TKR is Total Knee Replacement.
 
I got so tickled reading your blog about Alexa and seeing someone ask "Who's Alexa, your daughter?"
We don't have blogs on Bonesmart. We have threads. It's not like twitter or Facebook. Each thread has a topic and we like you to try and stick to that topic on the thread.

I was the one who hadn't heard of Alexa. I'm computer-literate, and I have a Samsung tablet and an IPad. Of all the thousands of apps available, I was not familiar with Alexa. There are also other apps that remind you of dates, times, appointments.
So many people here on BoneSmart have family members helping them - so I thought Alexa could well be a daughter. Reasonable, yes?
 
Amazon Echo is bigger, with decent speaker & voice activated automation, the dot is the the smaller one that looks like a hockey puck and does not have a decent speaker for music, the is also the Tap, which you must touch to activate instead of using your voice. They are all made by Amazon. Alexa is the standard wake word, but you can also change it to "echo" or "Amazon". The good thing is you don't have to have a phone or tablet in hand. You just need your voice. They're pretty nifty and there are tons of things that you can enable it to do with just your voice.
 
@Jle57 , sorry I am so late in responding. I live in South Jersey, laurel Springs to be exact. Your?
 
I'm in Philadelphia but will have my surgery at the Rothman speciality hospital. I'll be doing the online physical therapy too. Most of my family is concerned about not having a physical therapist coming to the house especially because I will be a bilateral. But looking at this site is think it has made me realize that I will be fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom