Guest viewing is limited

THR Teri's Recovery-Hip #2

Hi there Teri! I was hoping that you were getting comfy at home and sleeping a lot, so glad to hear from you on here... all in all you are sounding good! That is interesting about your need for the walker- i used the walker a lot longer than 2 days with my first hip and agree with @Layla that 2 days isn't the usual time frame. And if sitting or resting in bed is comfortable, well that is super! I'm curious, are you able to watch t.v. or read? I just remembered how hard it was to concentrate on things the first time around. It's funny how the memories pop up.. Please take care and love hearing your updates. :loveshwr:
 
Hi Teri,
I’m so glad to hear that you are at home now and that you are pain free whilst resting. I remember how difficult it was getting the pain meds just right in those early days. Tramadol gave me hallucinations and kept me awake so I had to stop them so relied on codeine and paracetamol.They worked well but I certainly needed a high fibre diet and lots of water.
Thinking of you.
 
Glad your first few days are going well for hip 2...once you e stretched those muscles out that tightness will get much easier...take care & keep taking those meds on time .. xxx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Good Morning and Happy Thursday to you :wave:
I hope your pain is easing and each day feels brighter than the last. :SUNsmile:
Wishing you comfort and a warm cozy nap today :yawn: :sleep:
@Bfam85
 
Hello wonderful friends! @Layla, Yes I am feeling a bit better than yesterday. After taking a shower, which was amazing, (thank you dear husband), all my muscles and everything in there felt more softer and easier to walk with, which I thought was interesting. PT could not be in the near future, because I really cannot move my leg any more than a few inches in any direction. @Kim22 , I had the weirdest, scariest dreams last night! I'm sure to attribute that to the cocktail of drugs I have been shoving down my gullet! Thank you ALL for your thoughts and encouragement.
@CricketHip, reading is not happening right now! TV and logging on to Bonesmart is just about all the activity I can manage :loll:
 
Day 5 update: I am doing well! Sleep is pretty good, nausea is gone, swelling and bruising not worse but getting better. I had one very bad bruise on my inside thigh! :shocked: The only problem I am experiencing is that my op leg is about one inch longer than my right leg, which was replaced in December of 2014. When I asked my OS when he checked in on me the morning I was discharged, he said that I shouldn't be concerned because it will align itself with time. I sure wish he had told me about this beforehand. Not that it would have made me cancel surgery, but that I could prepare for it mentally. When there's that much of a discrepancy, it's difficult to walk with a steady gait. I feel lopsided and hindered a bit in my recovery. I have read the article here on LLD, but was wondering if anyone can give me some encouragement. With my first replacement, I could understand there would be a discrepancy because that first hip was awful. I thought with the second replacement, everything would become level, not the opposite....
 
I came out of surgery with a one inch LLD as well and could feel it then. I think it was the hospital PT that it was also the reason my muscles were burning so bad in my thigh as they were being stretched. I don't notice it anymore at four weeks but not certain when that changed.
 
Hi Teri
There is a "hip#2" in my future --just had #1 done. Congrats on now having 2 brand new bionic hips. May you recovery go smoothly!
 
I have read the article here on LLD, but was wondering if anyone can give me some encouragement.
Fear not! Nearly every new hippie feels as if they have LLD. In most cases the feeling just fades as Carriemay describes. Muscles and tendons also atrophy pre-op so need to strengthen a bit. Walking will help all this ease.
 
@ahipgma I was just traveling over to your thread to congratulate you on your shiny new hip!!!:yes!: Since we are so close in our surgeries, we can encourage each other along the way. Have a happy, healing weekend!
 
@Jaycey Thanks so much! You know you have traveled into that dark place when fear just starts to take over and your mental state goes haywire!!! Bless you! Am I right to remember you had an LLD on one or both or your surgeries?
 
Am I right to remember you had an LLD on one or both or your surgeries?
Wow - you have a great memory. Yes I had LLD post LTHR. It wasn't massive but enough to be annoying. I wore a lift in my right shoe for years. I remember just before going into surgery for my RTHR the surgeon mentioned the LLD and said he would fix it. I think the pain from just that slight bit of stretching was worse than my hip. But it did the trick!

Wait about 3-4 months before doing anything about your LLD. If it hasn't eased see a good physio or podiatrist to get an exact measurement of the LLD. You can also ask your surgeon about this at your post op follow up appointment.
 
Well, phooey, I'm sorry you are worried about this LLD. We can't help but worry. I remember feeling uneven after the first hip surgery and like others have mentioned, I was told to walk as much as I could and somewhere along the first couple of months of healing it all leveled out. In fact I don't even think that it took more than around 4-6 weeks. I wish the same for you. :friends:
 
@CricketHip Thank you friend :thankyou: Yep it's okay, I will enjoy the weekend and give my OS a call on Monday....it would have been nice to be given a heads up. The first time he told me there would be a half inch lengthening so I was prepared for it....and sure enough it did settle down...My advice to you is that right before you are sent to La La Land and your OS asks you if you have any questions, you ask him is there anything he thinks You should know....that might make more sense! :heehee:
 
Happy Saturday!
It's great to read you're doing well. Going by a couple accounts above, given the reassurance offered, it sounds like your LLD will take care of itself, hopefully in short order too. Lots of positives in your update, you're sleeping well, no more nausea, swelling and bruising dissipating. You're moving in the right direction :yes!:
Thanks for posting. It was nice to hear from you. I hope your day is a peaceful one. :)
@Bfam85
 
@Bfam85- good advice! I am noticing that with the 2cnd hip so far, that the Dr and his staff are much more casual about explaining things. I guess they are assuming I remember! Plus, to be fair, I didn't go in to see him to schedule. I had talked to him in January so all I had to do was call and schedule. So I feel like Im missing some of that reassuring chatter.
I'm glad you are calling him on Monday. :SUNsmile:
 
I had LLD (or so they said) with my first THR... the podiatrist measured it and advised me to wait to see if it would even out... and it did!
Hoping yours sorts itself out... in time! Where have you heard that before... ?? hurry up & wait [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom