Guest viewing is limited

TKR Teniralc's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH boy did I get lectured by the nurses. Completely understandable, of course. I set off the alarm this morning just by sitting up -- no WAY will I try to walk on my own - and five nurses were there within seconds. They're pretty great. Nerve block - yes he did give me that, and said the numbness is normal, it should begin to wear off today, which is day 3.

How did they get me up? The braced a chair against the wall and lifted me up with me using my good leg to assist.


Beverly (teniralc)
LTKR 11/19/15 - Conformis
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Patience is good advise. When I was in the hospital I did not even think about getting up on my own. In the rehab they would only let me go from the bed to the commode which was right next to the bed. I was grateful because when I gotta go I gotta go! They would not allow walkers to stay in the room. You could use the wheelchair solo if you wanted to move about or go outside
 
Hi Beverley,
I'm sure you'll be going home soon. I stayed in hospital for 5 days and I'm glad I did. by t time I went home, i was able to do everything by myself, except for lifting my operated leg onto the bed.

I see that you've put your surgery details at the bottom of your post. So that they appear every time and you don't have to keep writing them, please will you create a signature? That way, we can easily see what you had done, and when. It would be helpful if you wrote "November", rather than using numbers, because different countries have different ways of writing the day and the month. Here's how to create a signature:
How to create a signature
Thank you. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @teniralc and welcome to the reality of the other side. It is a bit rough at first but all of it is so worth it!!
So thankful you were not hurt when you fell, but that definitely is one way of getting your nurse's attention. :heehee:
Glad you found this forum because the education and support is very much needed and this is a great group.
Rest and take your pain meds!!
 
Hi Beverley,
I'm sure you'll be going home soon. I stayed in hospital for 5 days and I'm glad I did. by t time I went home, i was able to do everything by myself, except for lifting my operated leg onto the bed.

I see that you've put your surgery details at the bottom of your post. So that they appear every time and you don't have to keep writing them, please will you create a signature? That way, we can easily see what you had done, and when. It would be helpful if you wrote "November", rather than using numbers, because different countries have different ways of writing the day and the month. Here's how to create a signature:
How to create a signature
Thank you. :flwrysmile:
@Celle, hmmmm I don't see the options you mentioned perhaps because I'm using an iPad. I've removed it for now until I sort it out.
 
I've asked if one of the Moderators will create the signature for you.
 
Beverley, I use an iPad also. If you click on your name in the upper right gray area, you will get a drop down box and there you will see the word "signature". Click on that and you can type what you wish for your signature.
 
Thanks for posting that information, @Timetolive .
I didn't know how to create a signature on an IPad, so I learned something new today!
 
I created a signature for you in your profile. You can change it at any time or let us know what you want and we'll help.
 
Great, thanks! Waiting for PT round 2, after pain meds. I'm suppose send to be discharged tomorrow, I guess depending on how PT goes. Will let you know.
 
I'm glad you weren't hurt with your fall. I got up with the nurses aid the first time I usd the bathroom. It was the day after surgery and I did fine. I got up the rest of the time by myself. The day after surgery they set up my bathroom with everything I needed for a shower. I surprised everyone when I showered and got changed by myself and was walking out of the bathroom. They assumed I was waiting for help with the shower after I used the 'ladies room' .
 
Hi Beverly,
Welcome to the other side! I also had a Conformis knee installed last January and will be getting my second this January.
At 10 months post LTKR, I'm doing great and ready to do it again. I just hope the next one goes as well!
The recovery process is a slow one with ups and downs. Just follow the advice you get here and you'll be fine.
I was so grateful to have the support of all the Bonesmarties during my recovery!
Will you be going home soon?
Best wishes,
Karen
 
I bet you'll do well with PT and you will be on your way home! Home and your own bed will never look as good as it does tomorrow.
Hope you have a restful night.
 
PT round 2 I was able to walk with the assistance of a walker. After about a dozen steps I started to hurt, so not exactly a marathon but LOTS better than yesterday. I'm keeping ahead of the pain so I'm feeling good. My foot is still numb so putting weight on it feels weird.

Just have to remember "baby steps".
 
You are doing great! I am 13 days and still use my walker at night for trips to the bathroom. Slow and steady wins the race. I hope your day is peacefilled.
 
All the time leading up to this I was insistent about wanting to go home as soon as possible but now I'm not so confident. When do you "know" you're ready?
 
Can you get yourself back and forth to the bathroom safely? Can you stand briefly at the sink (with the walker) to wash your face and hands, etc? Have you demonstrated to PT the ability to navigate a few steps? Can you lift your leg in and out of bed on your own or with a strap? Will you have a little help at home? If "yes" to all, you're probably ready. If "no" to any, there's still time for PT to give you some pointers. Since it's the night stay that counts, you can probably drag out your departure until late afternoon so you can get a nap and a good dose of pain meds before you go. Since this is Sunday, make sure there's time to pick up all your meds, if you don't already have them, before the pharmacies close. Discuss any concerns with your nurse!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@teniralc , I totally agree with everything Diana put in her post. It IS scary to come home and know that it is up to you. You need to be able to get to the bathroom, climb those few steps to get in the house, be able to stand a few minutes to do hand washing, etc. Being able to do these things will make you much more comfortable and confident when you get home. I went home the day after surgery, but it was 4:30 in the afternoon. I could lift my leg by myself, use the toilet by myself, walk with the walker, and get up the 5 steps into my home. When we did arrive home after a 40 minute drive, and the knee had swollen more, those 5 steps looked like a mountain and my husband and daughter really had to help me get up them. I hope you have a day filled with rest and you gain some strenght and confidence.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom