Guest viewing is limited

TKR Teniralc's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to stay one more day. Tomorrow the PT makes sure I'm mobile enough and then I get to go home. Today was better and I'm working very hard to not overdo. The OS called and said I'm to make an appointment for 10 days from now. Yikes, no showers till then? I haven't seen the OS since before the surgery but I'm supposing that's normal. He also said they were supposed to have removed the outer layer of gauze on Day 2. Guess the word didn't get through. No harm done and it's ever so much more comfortable now. Looking forward to the ride home, I'm getting stir crazy in here! My mantras today - "Stay positive" and "baby steps".
 
I decided to stay one more day.
Good choice! It's best to stay there until you're sure you can manage at home.

Do ask about showering before you leave hospital. Although I had a waterproof dressing, I strip-washed at the sink for a few days, until I felt strong enough to stand in the shower.
I have heard of people devising waterproof covering for their legs. Perhaps someone here has some experience of that?
 
There are a several waterproof dressing options that work great and allow you to shower, but clear this with your OS first. Unfortunately the supplies are expensive. My first knee had a two-week dressing called Aquacel ag (I think) that was applied in OR and stayed on until my first post op appointment. Then there's Tegaderm and/or Opsite waterproof barrier films. Both films function similarly, so it doesn't matter which you use. They should be available at larger pharmacies that stock wound care supplies, or from Amazon. Get the largest size. Also buy some Telfa 8" x 3" non-adherent sterile pads, or plan to shingle a few smaller ones. Lastly, buy a box of ChloraPrep Sponge Applicators, or sterile antiseptic swabs.

If you will have a Home Health RN, (s)he should have the above supplies, or something similar, to change your dressing for you, but I'm told they often arrive poorly equipped. I declined the Home RN and changed my own incision dressing every two or three days. My RN friend taught me what to do: 1) Wash hands thoroughly & air dry. 2) Squeeze the plastic wings on a ChloraPrep applicator to rupture the antiseptic vial, then squeeze the handle to moisten the sponge. 3) Gently dab/wipe the incision with the antiseptic-soaked sponge. 4) Air dry. 5) Apply sterile gauze to cover the incision. 6) Apply Tegaderm or Opsite barrier film. 7) Enjoy your shower!

Here is a video:

(it bugs me that she didn't wash her hands!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had the above dressing, too. It was completely waterproof and I showered everyday with it. It felt soooo good to get a shower, but it was a total energy drain! Be prepared to be ready for a rest afterward!
 
That looks like the dressing I have (mine is a bit gorier though, haha) but the OS was adamant about not getting it wet. Guess I'll put up with sink baths for a few days.
 
Yikes, no showers till then?
I also had an OS with a very strict protocol on showering---I can commiserate with you on this.

The sponge baths were getting quite old, and I was finally able to shower several weeks after my BTKR surgery.

My first shower after my BTKR, felt absolutely amazing!! I did use a shower seat and I would sit in the shower and luxuriate in it---and the hot water would loosen up my quads, too.
 
@referee54, that sounds heavenly. My 10-day post op checkup with the OS is actually 14 days, something about Thanksgiving interfering with his schedule, so I'll be really ready for that shower. I'm happy to say I got discharged this afternoon so now I'm home, sweet home! Yay!

Squeamish people, hit the escape key now: More good news, the poop fairy paid me a nice visit after arriving home. Ahh, it's the little things. Feeling pretty good. I had to navigate up 3 steps to get into my house, and I was anxious about that, but it was surprisingly easy. Having Travis, my six-foot-six son at my elbow helped considerably. The kid's a brick wall. Think I'll eat some fruit and take a nap.
 
Welcome home!! Congrats on the fairy visiting too!! O the little things we learn to appreciate!! My dressing was waterproof and I was able to shower the day after surgery while still in the hospital. The dressing was removed and staples taken out on the 14th day by home PT. I had a few steristrips but in place and could still shower. My only problem was I should have invested in a shower seat. I used baby wipes with aloe to help me get cleaned up when I didn't have enough energy to make it up to my bathroom. They are very moisturizing and great in between showers.
 
Things are looking up!!! We all love that poop fairy!

My OS was pretty strick about showering. Since I was in a rehab facility the CNAs would put a big plastic bag over the leg and tape it at the top. I used a hand held shower head so I could be care not to get too much water on the bag.

I agree about being surprise about the stairs I was sure it was going to be difficult but up I went.
 
Glad you are home - and also glad you have a six-foot-six, strong son! It's so handy to have someone like that around, and also so nice when our kids can take care of us, even a little bit. I am single, but my two sons (and one fiancée) were so attentive during my first few weeks. :loveshwr:

When I couldn't shower after my surgery, I used some special body wipes (got them at the local pharmacy), but washing my hair in the sink was what really made me feel clean! Maybe that will help.
 
There are also shampoo caps that have a leave in shampoo(wet) that you throw into the microwave and heat up. You then put the cap on your head and massage it in. I left them on as long as it stayed warm. The hospital I had worked in had them for the patients and it made them feel so much better when confined to the hospital.
 
Welcome home @teniralc it feels great doesn't it. Getting into my own bed was heavenly. I also got out on day 4 thought I was ready on day 3 until I had such a bought if nausea decided it was in my best interest to stay one more night. The nurse changed my dressing just before discharge with a waterproof one . I had a shower 2 days after I got home and just to make sure it stayed dry I wrapped some cling rap around my knee it worked like a charm. I am seeing os tomorrow to get the staples out yay.
Just take if easy I did over do it this passed Sunday was feeling great and boy I paid for it on Monday. Knee quite painful and swollen. Baby steps okay.:happydance::happydance::flwrysmile:
 
Congratulations on getting home!! When you do get to shower, it will be nice for sure. It isn't so bad doing the sponge baths - we do what we have to do! I second washing your hair in the sink if you can manage. Something about having your hair clean when you have company, just makes it easier. Before I could shower, I would have my husband and daughter just take a warm, wet washcoth and scrub my back. THAT was heavenly. I had special wipes I had to use on my leg and bandage each day before I could shower and then I had to wash it with soap and water every day after. I hope you have a restful day!
 
That moment when you open your eyes after a good nights sleep, give an experimental flex to the knee and wait for the inevitable jolt of pain, and....NO PAiN. I hit that milestone today, Day 6 post-op. I actually felt human!

Will I have pain today? Yes, of course as soon as soon as I do my first set of exercises but I'm grateful for that glimpse of an upcoming pain-free life .
 
Reporting in at the 6-week(ish) mark (LTKR was 19-Nov 2015). I've been keeping a daily journal to track my progress for when I'm feeling discouraged and also as future reference in case I need a TKR on my right knee which the doc says is a distinct possibility.

So, I've been getting discouraged about lack of progress with ROM in physical therapy. The past two weeks I've been stuck at 95 degrees flexed and hovering around -10 to -15 extension. I'm supposed to see the doc next week for a checkup and he had said he expects 110/0 by then. When I started post-op PT my stats were 80/-40 so there's been progress but lately it seems no matter what we try in PT there's no change. Trying not to focus on the numbers...

On a more positive note, recently, I forgot about pain meds all day. Not because I was super busy or distracted but because I wasn't having any pain. Another "yay!" moment - I'm on crutches now, and usually use just one around the house. The other day I walked to the kitchen crutch-free without thinking about it.

I really enjoy reading all of your stories, I feel I am not alone in this. Happy New Year to all!
 
Happy New Year to you too!
Excellent idea to keep a journal regarding your progress.
Try not to stress too much over your numbers, it will come. Are you overdoing? That will cause swelling and impede your flexion.
I no longer know what my numbers are and OS didn't even check on my 8 week final checkup. He went on my stating that I had no problems and could do stairs, drive, etc. He said full recovery would take up to a year.
I am at 9+ weeks and just do my exercises throughout the day and I have a recumbent bike.
Hang in there, it will happen!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom