THR Tendinitis after THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@calikat...My cup is "52" mm. My OS says he has rarely placed a smaller one. I'm willing to bet he will consider a smaller one in the future;) I have noticed that this tendinitis seems to be an issue for younger patients. We tend to be more active and the problem is more likely to present itself (no offense to our older sisters and brothers). My CT scan tells the tale...the tendon is scraping on the cup. I am luck that the pain is very isolated for me, inner groin. It does not radiate. My symptoms seem mild compared to others...but the basics are the same...stairs, hip flexion as when getting into car, straight leg lifts etc...pain, weakness...some movements are simply impossible. At the end of the day I can barely lift my leg with my hip flexed beyond 60 degrees.
 
Mine is 46 mm...the smallest size this manufacturer made. I keep telling my OS that something is wrong. I saw him again today. I told him it feels like something is catching in my hip when I try to lift and rotate out. When I do this...like getting int the car the pain is sharp and then hurts all the way down to my knee calf and ankle. Even my PT said that my ROM just stops abruptly. It is not normal. When I try to stretch things out it makes it worse. My OS says it is from inflammation. I should just insist on more imaging. I do feel like there is inflammation...caused by what is still to be determined.

I hope you get relief from your PT. I have been having deep tissue work for the past 2 weeks. I am not sure if it is helping, but it does not seem to be hurting.
 
Plus...I'm not a small woman, I'm sure that he couldn't imagine a smaller implant for me. I'm 5'9" tall...but...my acetabulum is congenitally shallow, and I have a relatively small frame for my height. One size does not "fit all."
 
I am relatively small...5' 3 1/2" and pretty narrow. My OS could not use the original implant he wanted because of my hip size apparently. I have also been having strange rashes which may or may not be related to the hip. Every time I try to ice my hip I have been breaking out in welts. I am trying to figure it all out. My night pain is the worst. Any little twist or turn causes sharp pain in my hip that wakes me up. I have hip dysplasia so I have been told my acetabulum is shallow also. Now the left hip is starting to deteriorate. It's never ending. But I am happy that I can now walk with minimal pain. Now if I could only bend, turn, sit etc. ;)
 
.he is very sorry. It's so tricky, I work with this guy, have even assisted him in the OR for a wound debridement. It's not like I can throw a huge fit...ha!

I can see how that would be awkward.
 
@Josephine...Ha! That's what my husband said Josephine! We could have purchased a top-of-the-line Porche (sp?) automobile for that! Anyway, I did start an aggressive PT program today. Ron, my PT pointed out that my Iliopsoas is very hypertrophic (much larger on my right operative side than on the left) and I felt it myself. I did better than I thought...he mixed things up, hard to explain but he had me do some exercise to take the focus away from that one flexor. For example, he had me lift my leg barely off the mat and "draw the alphabet as if I had a pencil sticking out of my heel." At first my leg would not move, but I ended up being able to do it. Lot's of other difficult to explain stuff too. I thought I'd be hobbling severely this evening, but actually my ROM is improved and I don't have increased pain. We'll see what tomorrow brings, (perhaps a delayed pain response). @Calicat...I also get a bit of an itchy rash in my right groin at times....Interesting....certain positions at night are also painful for me. Frankly I feel too loose. My PT today confirmed what my husband has always said...my tendons and muscles are not tight. My OS suggested aggressive strengthening and also aggressive stretching, but I don't need the stretch... I've always been very flexible...I was one of those kids who could wrap my legs around my head, do the splits etc. Emphasis on "kids"...those abilities did not follow me into middle age. Time will tell, I remain hopeful! I wonder though if I could be having an allergic response to the plastic component...new science.
 
Hi Tiona,

Just reading thru your thread and wanted to tag @rider1960 to see if she'd comment on some of what she experienced with her IP release after having both hips done. Her situation was a bit different than yours, but some similarities too. Her latest thread on the release is here and she has a couple of others on the first and then second surgeries.

Many of us with CDH/dysplasia types of syndromes have lax ligaments and the childhood flexibility that you describe. I'm sorry that you were restricted to using your specific hospital, was your OS a specialist in THR or was he an OS that does various procedures on different body parts?

I hope that your new PT helps.
Take care,
Cardie
 
@C Mac...thanks. Maybe I'm just in denial...I welcome all ideas, especially personal experiences. Yes, my OS is generalized. He is young and mostly does joint replacements. All of the ortho guys at my hospital are generalized ...:sad:
 
Hi Tiona,

Well, denial is ok it serves to buffer and protect you when you cannot deal with something at the moment. There is nothing wrong with trying some different things first to see how they affect your hip, you are only 6 months out from your replacement. I would suggest while you are working on your PT, acupuncture, myofascial release etc., that you find an OS that is a specialist in THR and have a second opinion on your MRI. As you have described you have acetabulum issues and now are having THR results that you are not satisfied with, so… regardless of the cost involved, it would probably be best not to have the colleague try a second time.

Sometimes, with the congenital issues our anatomy is different from the traditional THR patient that is structurally normal with just a worn out joint. For example, I have no lesser trochanter so my IP muscle attaches someplace on the femur a bit differently -- thus I have a lot of tightness in this muscle group and I also have rotoscolliosis in my spine. The changes that came about from the THR have made adjustment a bit different for me due to these other anomalies. I have some impingement as well, not quite as severe as what you describe and according to my OS my cup is not "proud" -- sticking out and catching the tendon.

Take care,
Cardie
 
according to my OS my cup is not "proud" -- sticking out and catching the tendon.

I like that way of describing it.

@Poppet I have...on more than one occasion. I saw him twice in January. I am going to now try and see someone else. He currently wants me to have an epidural in my spine to see if that is where the pain is coming from.
 
@tiona Hi, I got your message and have taken a quick look at all the posts. My situation was different from yours in that I didn't have any impingement; I had actual tendon damage from working too hard in physical therapy after the THR.

I had pain and decreased ability to do things with my leg from the first PT session at the hospital. I was pretty snowed by the meds, so I didn't put 2 and 2 together until the 3rd day I was there (discharge day) and I had already participated in twice daily PT sessions. I rested when I got home and backed off on the exercises a lot. Things did improve, but they never got truly better and were chronically problematic.

When I saw my OS for the 6 week f/u, he assured me that some people just take longer to recuperate from THR and that things should quiet down. I don't think he believed there was anything really wrong at that point. He wanted to see me back in another month and expected I'd be much better by then. When I still had significant pain at that point, he became concerned because it was clearly not the norm. He thought it might be a psoas problem, because that's the most common tendon problem he sees after a THR (although it's still not that common, but I can understand why your hip in particular has done this). He injected the psoas (under fluoroscopic guidance) and when the marcane/lidocaine settled in I only had a bit of relief of the pain and the steroid didn't really do much of anything. I asked my surgeon about the chance of rupture and he said it VERY rarely happened and that was more of a problem with other tendons that work super hard, such as Achilles tendon. He's pretty experienced with injections into the psoas, so it wasn't difficult for him to do it. It was much like what I experienced when I had hip joint injections before the THR. Mine was done primarily as a diagnostic tool to try to narrow down the source of my pain.

It became apparent over more time that it was primarily my adductor longus tendon, although I had some problems with the flexors too. At the 6 month point he started talking about doing an adductor longus tendon release. And, he also wanted to do an arthroscopy to have a look at the joint and the other tendons around the hip. I did both. Surgery was done at 11 months post op THR. He found some damage and excessive scar tissue on the psoas and to a lesser degree on the rectus femoris tendons. He released the adductor longus completely and released some of the psoas and rectus femoris. I developed a hematoma from the adductor longus surgery site (that was a direct cut and not part of the arthroscopic procedure needed for the other two), but that shouldn't happen to you if you are having just the psoas released. So don't let my experience influence your decision whether to have the psoas released--my situation was unique.

I'm pretty sure the psoas release will need to be done arthroscopically, so you will need to find someone experienced with hip arthroscopy. There aren't a lot of orthos around me who do arthroscopies. They are trickier than a more accessible joint, so they tend to be done by hip specialists. My OS happened to be a hip specialist and does a lot of arthroscopies, so I felt very comfortable having him do it rather than seek out a different surgeon.

Looking at what you have for test results and the length of time since your THR, I don't see how you are going to get any relief unless you do have the psoas release. You have actual impingement--it's not going to just go away and stop being impinged. The tendon callus idea makes sense to me, but if it hasn't calloused by now how likely is it to do so?

You said your surgeon doesn't do the procedure. That means you have to find another surgeon anyway. You'll get a second opinion when you do that. It is true that you will get many opinions depending on who you ask. You are a nurse (I am, as well, although I no longer practice and have a desk type job now doing disability reviews) and you also have your husband the PT--you have good foundation of knowledge and experience to draw on in making your decision. If you do decide to explore this further, look into OS that do hip replacements AND arthroscopies. That way they can check out the joint while they are in there. The reason I say that is that there is a sports medicine OS in the same practice where my OS is who doesn't do joint replacement but does do hip arthroscopies for other things. I think it's better to have an OS who also does hip replacements looking in there. The psoas release is maybe not a common procedure, but it is the most common tendon release done to the hip, I think, so hopefully you can find an OS in network. My insurance is the same way as yours. I was lucky that my surgeon was in network.

As far as recovery and any residual impairment, I had more done than just the psoas, so again my situation is different than yours. But, I think you will have some weakness for quite a while after surgery until your other muscles over-strengthen to pick up the slack. Luckily the psoas is not the only hip flexor. I still have weakness in my leg (surgery done May 2013). It's really hard for me to do a straight leg raise compared to the other side. But it doesn't bother me with normal walking. It's a little tougher to do stairs foot over foot but I don't feel much weakness if I'm climbing a small hill. It's certainly nothing that stops me from doing moderate hiking, biking, or horseback riding, which are my primary recreational activities. My surgeon told me that since I had quite a bit of tendon release work done, it will likely take a year or even up to 18 months to get my strength back--the other muscles really do have to hypertrophy to pick up the slack. But, again, you shouldn't have as much difficulty with just the psoas done. I also had a very tight IT band after the arthroscopy. That is just kind of working it's way back to normal.

You have to make the decision for yourself. From everything I was told by 3 orthos that I saw while trying to decide whether to have my surgery done and what my OS told me, the psoas release isn't really that difficult to do or recover from if you have an experienced surgeon. I guess you just have to decide what you can live with and what you can't. I don't regret having my tendon surgery done. I do wish I wouldn't have had the hematoma, of course, but there is risk with anything and living without the tendon pain now is so much nicer than when I had the pain.

Best of luck and do tag me when you decide and let me know how things go if you do have the surgery done. I'm not here a lot, so make sure to tag me so it shows up on my email.

Dorothy
 
@rider1960 Hi Dorothy Thank you so much for posting the story of your tendon release and I just want to say how pleased I am that you are well on your way to getting your active life back including being able to ride your horse once again.You have been through so much but your fortitude and patience has paid off.

It is over ten months since my THR and I have recently had an ultrasound which diagnosed psoas tendinitis without impingement ( according to the ultrasound and the X-rays at least) I am doing very gentle stretches with my physio and waiting for a cortisone injection.At about 7 weeks I twisted my hip awkwardly and strained the tendon.It did improve after about three months but came back whenever I increased activity.The pain is worse when climbing stairs or getting out of the cat and has really effected my ROMs which did improve a few months after surgery only to gradually get worse again.I am trying to learn the art of patience which has never been my strong point as I know this is going to take some time to get sorted.Hoping that you continue to improve.

@tiona Glad to hear that you have found a PT to deliver the exercise programme.Let me know how it works out.
 
@rider1960...Thank you SO much for describing your situation in detail in one post, I know it took time for you to do this. I don't feel as if I have a "real" expert to assist me ...yet. I will likely end up coughing up the cash to find a more knowledgeable OS. Our guys are good, but they deal with pretty basic stuff at our small community hospital. My OS said he would inject me but using landmarks not fluoroscopy as he said that tendons are not visualized with fluoroscopy....I'm sure it would be quite painful...was the injection painful for you? I'm pretty tough, but I was hoping for a little sedation;)
 
Hi everyone. I'm glad I checked this thread again because it didn't pop up on my email like it usually does when someone tags me in a post. Sorry it's taken me a while.

About the injection, I don't remember it being very painful at all--a little bit, but not that big of a deal. It doesn't take long--about as long as a hip joint injection. It was less painful than when I had hip joint injections. My surgeon didn't explain why he was using fluoroscopy, but I'm sure it helped him in some way or he wouldn't have used it because of the radiation. I do remember him half jokingly saying that he hoped he "hit the right place" because there were some significant blood vessels in the area that he could hit while getting in there. The psoas is buried pretty deep. I think I would get a second opinion from someone more experienced with the psoas issue before having the injection done using just landmarks. My surgeon is a hip specialist and that's pretty much all he does--hip resurfacing, replacement, and arthroscopies. My guess is that if you meet with a surgeon more experienced with psoas issues and who does arthroscopies, you will have fewer fears about having the release done.

Hope this helps.

Dorothy
 
Hi @Kim22, @Vetgirl,
Week two of intense PT. I don't seem to have increased pain in my operative hip (right), but my left hip is protesting. Yesterday I managed about 5 straight leg raises on my operative side, but not without significant pain. I'm anxious to hear how your cortisone injection goes Kim! That would be my next step before a second opinion. My PT asked me to sit on a stool with my feet on the floor, 90 degree angle and raise my knee. It wouldn't budge. My muscle did not even TRY to engage...now THAT is a strange feeling! Back at it in the morning....
T
 
Hi @tiona Glad to hear that your PT has not increased the pain in your op side. I am finding that my left side is protesting after doing my exercises.In fact most of my thigh muscles are aching on both sides as a result of the few exercises I have been given.I saw my PT last Wednesday and she added another stretch for internal rotation on top of the other three.I only manage about 5 reps.My next appointment is on 5th March.

Regrettably I won't be able to let you if the injection works as I have just learnt that there is a three to four month wait for a cortisone injection.The Trust is probably short of money and they are waiting until the beginning of the financial year before sending appointments or maybe the demand for them is just really high.So you will get your injection before me if you decide to go ahead.I also learnt today that mine will be done under ultrasound.

I tried the stool exercise you described and I was able to raise my knee but it caused pain in my groin but my other side was just as sore.I find doing straight leg raises very painful so I don't even try them now.I hope you see some improvement very soon from the PT but I think it is worth trying the injection as well.I was told that a third of patients get complete relief, another third get partial relief after more than one and the last third see no improvement.Have you any plans to go walking this weekend ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom