Guest viewing is limited

THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

Oh isn't she just gorgeous!! I'm sitting here all choked up!
Thank you so much for sharing those with us, I feel as proud as - well, as a mum, I suppose!
 
@jasminesmom Thanks so much for your lovely update! So happy Jasmine is finally getting on with real life!
 
She's a very beautiful girl and her story is just amazing! So happy for her! Great job mum (or mom as we say here in The States)! :loveshwr:
 
What spectacular photos!!! I am so thrilled for you both. And, I'm in awe that you created that gorgeous dress plus all the accessories. That fact will always make this day (and these photos) special for Jasmine. She is one beautiful young woman. Thanks so much for sharing the photos. Jo's right....we're all like proud mommas here with all you both have accomplished.
 
jazzy B update.
My amazing daughter smashed her exams and passed 9 GCSE's. I'm so proud of her. She's not in the top bands in school and has never found her school work easy. She's worked her socks off this year and has achieved such fantastic high marks.
I fought so hard (with help from you wonderful lot) for her to have her hip replaced so she could be in school pain free, be able to concentrate on her work.
I've raised a wonderful young lady who has now been pain free for over a year and she makes me proud every day xxx
 
:wowspring: :yahoo: :tada: That's fantastic! Please give her our congratulations and tell how how delighted we all are!
 
Hello Jasmine's Mum

It was wonderful to find your post and to read you and your daughter's story so far, and that you have a great outcome, and for your son also, thank goodness you knew the symptoms and he was referred before the damage was done..

My son is 13 (nearly 14) and had an acute on chronic SUFE 3 year's ago today. He is still on crutches/wheelchair, and we are contemplating further surgery or a hip replacement when he stops growing at 17/18.

I just wondered if they had given your daughter any indication on the life span of the replacement hip? - I appreciate that this varies depending on how it is used, and the weight of the person etc.

Like yourself it has been an emotional roller coaster. For my son, it was also a late diagnosis and he had Avascular Necrosis.

Harrison had the hip completely removed and re-aligned, with the top of the femur fused to the femoral head (6 hour operation), followed by bisphosphonate treament. It enables the old bone to act as a scaffold, whilst the new bone calcifies. He then had an external fixator, screwed to his pelvis and thigh, in a bid to take the weight off the hip whilst healing, this was on for 4 months, and was pure misery. I had to change the open pin site dressings daily, he screamed at the pain, and we called it 'Bob'. All of this helped to 'save' his femoral head, however, he does have a saddle shaped deformity in his femoral head now, with part of the bone blocking full movement of his hip. He has one leg shorter than the other (about 3 cm) and has a shoe build up. Fortunately being a boy he is not too worried about the shoe build up, and most people do not notice.

We are now seeking a second opinion on the next course of action at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, and had the referral from our GP without any trouble at all, and don't have to wait for funding authorisation.

He is too young for a THR as he has not stopped growing, and we are looking at femoral head re-shaping and triple pelvic osteotomy, all very very big surgery, and not sure what to do yet, whether to just wait for the hip replacement or have further invasive surgery, it is very hard one to call, as although he cannot walk, he is not in too much pain.

Best wishes
Ruth
 
@Harrysmum Welcome to BoneSmart! Another difficult and perhaps long journey. Can I suggest that you start your own thread so that you will get more input from our members. We are here to help you through your son's journey!
 
Hi @jasminesmom . I am new to this website and my daughter's story is very similar to Jasmine's. Please can you let me know how she is doing now, whether you are glad you opted for the hip replacement and whether you were given alternative options (femoral reconstruction). What were the considerations given to agreeing to the hip operation (my consultant doesn't seem keen to go along this route)? Would you make the same decision and how long has it taken to get her life back? Thanks. Fiona
 
@FiFiTrixy

whether you were given alternative options (femoral reconstruction).

We certainly were given options... 'conservatively wait' which was bull... a hip fusion, which sounded Victorian. From what I remembered it was a form of torture that would've severely limited the movement of her hips. I covered jasmines ears and asked if she would ever be able to have 'normal' sex if her hips were fused.... a lot of hmmmsss and they finally answered that it would be limited. No way, I answered!

It came down to the simple fact that she needed a replacement and her doctors couldn't decide when best to do this and wanted to wait as long as they could. so I took her elsewhere to a doctor who listened to Jaz, operated and gave Jasmine her life back.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE

Happy jaz x
 
I'm sorry she went through this. I am 40 and had bilateral scfe at the age of 10. They didn't pin back then, they only did grafting. I set the pace for the east coast and was written about and studied for a long time. The doctors kept up with me for years after to monitor my progress. I am now getting my second hip. Had left in 2013 and right is coming up in March. I sure hope things get better. It's hard to deal with at such a young age


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@jasminesmom Thanks so much for the latest photo of our poster girl Jaz. Such a lovely young lady with a bright future ahead thanks to all your efforts and a great surgeon.
 
Amen, Jaycey! Gorgeous girl!

I am 40 and had bilateral scfe at the age of 10. They didn't pin back then, they only did grafting.
@bionicmedic this might seem a tad trivial but that's not actually the case. It depends upon how displaced the epiphysis is as to whether pins or grafting are used. There are actually several procedures documented for fixation of SCFE (slipped capital (or upper) femoral epiphysis).
 
Well yes it actually was the case. I was the only documented female to have bilateral scfe at that time in the region. They didn't pin anyone with a scfe it was only bone grafting. Your experience may have been different but 30+ years ago it was as I described.
 
Gosh, we did no end of these cases in the late 1970s and 1980s. About one or two a month as I recall. I actually wrote section on the various procedures in a book on Orthopaedic Procedures for Theatre Staff around then. I was an Operating Theatre Manager at the time.

Most were pinned, some were treated with an open procedure called a Dunn's Operation which involved relocating the femoral head after trimming the femoral neck and then pinning it.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom