THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

Whatever the decision, make sure it's not the new one! You NEVER want to use a new one in a very young person.

But I do think it's grossly unfair for a surgeon to put the burden of choice on you. It's a decision that requires specialist expertise and that's what you're paying him the big bucks for. I think you should tell him that since you don't have a medical degree, he should choose!
 
Allow me to correct myself. He is not asking us to make the decision. He simply stated that these were the types of implants he might be using and I was wondering if which would be best. We would certainly be in trouble if I were the one making the decision. LOL. Thanks Josephine.
 
Hello again Josephine. Any last minute words of wisdom? We are currently one week away from Maya's THR, and I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm having doubts as to whether this is the correct decision for Maya. She has already been through so much, that I shudder to think of the possibility of making the wrong choice.
Doctors have assured us that her affected growth plate has closed and that her unaffected side is very near closing so they are not too concerned about skeletal growth issues. Still, the thought of infection, complications or future revisions has raised my anxiety to an all time high.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
God Bless
 
Oh my dear chap - of course you are having second thoughts! It's perfectly normal and expected. But you've been through all this before with your surgeon and with me. You KNOW you've made the correct decision and she will thank you for it forever.

Did you know that there are around one million hips replacements done across the world every year? And that hip replacement is the most successful surgery in medical history? The chances of it going wrong are minuscule compared to the certainty of her living a life of misery in increasing pain and disability. How would you explain that to her - or indeed, to yourself - over the next few years.

One other thing that is certain - she has to have it done sometime. Of that there is no doubt. So why waste her precious young years now? She - and you - will never have this time again.
 
Thank you for being the voice of reason Josephine. I'm comforted in knowing that we have your stamp of approval.
God willing, all will go well and Maya will soon be back on her feet. Oh, I so look forward to the day when she can simply be a kid again.
Thank you
 
God willing indeed! Not long to go now ....

You and Maya will both be in my prayers.
 
Thank you kindly Josephine. I most certainly appreciate it. You have been so immensely helpful. I will post an update after the surgery. In the meantime, I'm a nervous wreck : /

Thank you
 
@Maya'sdad can I suggest you start your own thread so that you get the replies you need. This is Jamine's Mom"s thread and readers may not respond. If you need help please give a shout and we will create a thread for you.
 
I did but I thought it would be okay to chat in here for now as the title still fits!
But for the recovery, yes, a new thread please.
 
I have just finished reading both threads, @jasminesmom and @Maya'sdad and I'm having trouble getting my tears to dry up a bit so I can type this. It's one thing to have us adults go through the pain and agony of joint issues and all the suffering that goes with it, but to have our children endure this is immensely heartbreaking. I am so glad to see a happy ending for @jasminesmom! :yahoo: @Maya'sdad, I'll be watching for your happy ending as well. You are only a few days away so prayers and warm hugs are being sent to both you and Maya! :angel:
 
@keepmovin I know exactly what you mean. Last year I gave a short paper at the British Orthopaedic Association annual conference and I used Jasmine's story as my key-note, appealing for surgeons to be more sympathetic with the younger patient. Half way through I ended up in tears and couldn't go on! I was so embarrassed but I was told after that my emotion actually made the talk very powerful!
 
Oh my!!! I'm not receiving notifications for some reason and have missed so much!!!
@Maya'sdad I'm so sorry I missed your initial post. I've been meaning to sit down and post on this amazing forum. As ever, I see that Jo has hugely helped you through some tough times and I'm going to pop over to your thread to find out more. I hope maya is doing ok and my heart goes out to you for so many reasons. Life stands still for us when the children need us so much. All your energy is focuses on fighting for them, it can be exhausting and painful but something kicks in and you find the strength to do it, you find the right people to help you, you just keep going and eventually there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Wow! I'm so glad you found jasmines thread in here. It takes some frantic googling when you don't know where to turn, when you feel everything's out of your control., when you're at your wits end. You did the very best thing to post on here, the support, guidance and advice is worth a million diamonds! I don't mind in the slightest you hijacking jasmines thread! I hoped that jasmines story would be able to help others and I hope it helped you and your family, especially maya.
I'm truly gutted I missed your initial post to me -Jo, happy for you to prompt me via email if I miss anything as important as Maya's thread again!
So happy to read it all went well xxx






Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A two teenager update for you.

Jaz is doing so well, she's working hard for GCSEs and has three under her belt early - amazing really considering she's only had 60% attendance for the past three years! Gush gush gush, sniffing proud parent time.
She got into college for next September studying photography and media. She quite fancies being a photographer/camera woman/document production side -I'm old and don't know the correct terminology for any if it.
While chatting away to me in our kitchen she called me to look at her. Expecting some silly pouty face she likes to make to make me laugh, I turned around.
"What??"
"Look mum, look what I'm doing".
Well, she was sat in the chair with both her knees under up to her chin and was fiddling with her toes. Such a simple action, such a natural position for most teenagers to be in. She realised that it had been a very long time since she'd been able to sit like and touch her feet without pain or restrictions. She looked so pleased with herself. it's a little thing but a huge thing at the same time, made me smile.

Sam's doing well too. I get a phone call every week from school to come and pick him up because he's in pain with his hips. His progress seems slow for his stage compared to Jaz who was at the other end of the scale. I think he's been playing us all a bit. The support staff at school love him to bits and he goes to the support department regularly when he's in pain, can't manage the stairs etc. They supply him with toast and cups of tea and generally he has a blast in there and is fussed over to the max.
I'm not too worried about him, I HAVE to believe him when he says he's in pain (I didn't believe Jaz for soooo long and it was bad bad bad) so he's got a golden 'hip card' and can produce that card whenever he feels like it and I'll scurry up the road and bring him home. In my family the boys don't seem to quite know how to work situations to their advantage quite as well as the girls. He's used the 'golden hip card' to the maximum. Whenever he's told staff he feels a little unwell, hey presto - mum arrives and collects him! So, for the hundredth time I get a call from school, support/nurse staff seem concerned and sympathetic that Sam feels unwell and can I come and get him. Pharffffttttttt! I've kinda lost some of my sympathy by now. While still harbouring guilt for not believing Jaz i say, "Yes yes, I'm on my way".
I don't know about any of you but I seem to have that mother face, a certain shout and tone that I can pull out in extreme circumstances (my mother-in-law Tells me I scare her with it too when unleashed on the kids) when I've had
enough. Sam gets in my van and I just look at him and tell him I know he's skiving and is playing us all. He breaks instantly, it was easy! "Right boy, get back into school I'm not taking you home".. It's totally done the job. support staff have said he's going to more lessons and for the next few days he emptying the dishwasher without a whimper.

All in all life is peachy. we still can't go on a long walk but life is slowly returning to normal (what's that) and life is good, the little things are as important as the big things. Jaz still limps a little (particularly when tired) and has resigned herself to never wearing high heels again and Sams learnt a valuable lesson, that he's NOT smarter than me, ever.
Hope everyone's well and enjoying Spring X


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jasminesmom Your 2 youngsters are amazing. But I have to say you are one amazing and courageous Mum! So glad both Jasmine and Sam are on the mend. Well done for you sorting the issues with Sam playing up. Hey - give the guy credit for creativity!

You will get back to long walks! Time is on your side. Thanks for sharing your inspiring journey here!
 
Oh I agree with Jaycey! Do keep us posted. I love your updates - it almost seems like I'm growing alongside them both!
 
Posting a bit squiffy -
Thursday night is parents night!
its been a while since our last update.. Honestly, I'm trying to work and earn as much as I can before another family member develops a hip problem that I may have to give my life up for..

Jasmine had her prom night last night-eek!!!
I was taught how to sew by my mum at a very young age and when we were looking for a prom dress ( they all looked over priced and cheap) there were non that suited jasmines personality. Took me a while to convince her I was capable of making her dress (made my own wedding dress and all my 6 bridesmaids dresses which she doesn't remember or have a clue about ) so eventually she said, ok mum, emerald green
. Mission accepted, fabric bought within the hour, no going back now and we began.
So having months to deal with THE MOST DIFFICULT CLIENT Ever, I managed to complete her prom dress, make all her jewellery and at the very last minute make a flower corsage from our garden.
Grandparents came over, best friend drove her in his vintage Vw.
lots of photos later, off she went returning at 11 for a quick change into 'normal' clothes then onto 'after prom' party before mother picks her up at 4.30am, yes that's 4.30 AM!! She is 16 after all and a very sensible 16 year old at that.
Do you know why I'm so proud of her??? It's her strength, it's knowing how much effort it's taken for her to be able to stand up strong, to be comfortable, to be able to walk normally, to be able to dance and laugh like she had no worries in the world, like she's a teenager. I saw that yesterday, I saw the normal life she so craved for so long, was heart melting and I did have a tiny tear for her, for me, for us all.
Amazing amazing amazing! Get ready for photo!!

[Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE
[Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE
[Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE
[Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE
[Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom