THR Tan’s Anterior THR recovery

I am sorry for the anxiety and uncertainty you're feeling. It is certainly understandable. Please know we're here for support always. Prayers for favorable test results and peace of mind. :prayer:
@Tan
 
Thanks Layla, before this hip problem and neurological issues I had no anxiety and now it is a lot and my neurological issues get worse when I worry so it is a cascading program. I really admire the positive people on this forum with life issues on top of the hip surgery or are having hard recoveries. Their positive attitude is heartwarming.

My husband and I went for a walk around the ravine by my house, first time since before surgery it has two short steep hills which I managed to walk up with out limping which I was really pleased about. The walk is about a kilometre on uneven ground. I had the cane with me as a barrier when my dogs get too excited and start running at me and for when playing dogs get too close.

The pain I was experiencing down the back of my thigh from tight glutes is pretty much gone which was the reason why I joined the forum. This form is so helpful to ease my mind about things like the ongoing muscle tightness and discomfort in the front of my thigh being normal, one less thing to worry about :yes!:

monty-quincy-tanja-oct-16-2022.jpg
 
Last edited:
Beautiful fall colours @Tan . Love your dogs too! Well done on the walk. Uneven ground can be challenging for a new hip.
 
What a beautiful photo of you, your furry friends, the sky and Autumn colors. Love! Thanks for sharing.
I hope you found it calming and felt relaxed afterward. Remember, we're here for you always.
Wishing you a peaceful week!
@Tan
 
I love seeing people's photographs. A beautiful autumnal day...My favourite season.
Good luck with your recovery Tan .
 
It’s been 9 weeks since anterior hip replacement.

I saw the surgeon on Monday at 8 weeks which was officially the 6 week follow up and he said it was ok for me to drive now and to go to the pool for exercise.

I forgot to ask him when I can have a bath and when I can sit on the ground or kneel on the ground, he said there was no restrictions other than to be careful with the 90 degrees and if it hurts don't push it. How many weeks did you feel comfortable to take a bath or get on the ground?

I asked him about putting my own sock on, he said if it was comfortable to, but I still haven't done that yet as it stings a bit when I lean forward and it feels like it catches a bit in the hip when I straighten.

When were you putting on your sock without a sock aid? my husband is my sock aid. I call him my nurse buddy, at the beginning he was really gentle - scared to hurt me. Now he is my rough buddy all business, like the nurses at the hospital lol

I am walking without the cane, no pain, no limping. I'm still having the weakness issues with walking and I'm stiff and jerky, does anyone else have this?

I’m taking the dogs for a walk outside now on my own, I feel safer walking with them in the park even though there is snow on the ground. I take ski poles to steady myself specially through uneven snow, it feels safer than walking down the street on the pavement which is not always cleared of snow and has slippery spots where it melts.
 
Another question I have is has anyone used a recumbent stationary exercise bike? I am thinking of getting one to build muscles up in my legs as my legs are thin. I also need the aerobic exercise as I can't make it into the park every day to walk the dogs, depending on the weather and if I'm tired from the previous day.
 
has anyone used a recumbent stationary exercise bike
Yes, many have / do.
Type recumbent bike into the SEARCH top right of the page and all of the threads will pop up where it's been mentioned. Please get a nod from your OS, his care team, or physio before beginning your exercise program.
Best Wishes as you continue the journey!
 
I'm sorry..I forgot to weigh in on some other questions you had.
How many weeks did you feel comfortable to take a bath or get on the ground?
My surgeon was strict about not baths, hot tubs, lakes (any body of water) until I was three months post op. Most were released to do so earlier. I'm sure some others will weigh in.

I didn't try to get on the ground for several months as I had no reason to. When I did, getting up felt awkward and not very graceful, but it became easier in time.

I never used a sock aid because I had my THR in the Summer and I despise socks any time of year. What I did though was sit on a bed, sofa, bench and put my THR leg on the object I was sitting, outside of thigh flat against the object I was sitting on, giving me easier access to my foot. I still prefer this method either for ease, or out of habit.
I am walking without the cane, no pain, no limping. I'm still having the weakness issues with walking and I'm stiff and jerky, does anyone else have this?
Hopefully time resolves this, it's still early days in the entire scheme of things.

I feel safer walking with them in the park even though there is snow on the ground. I take ski poles to steady myself specially through uneven snow, it feels safer than walking down the street on the pavement which is not always cleared of snow and has slippery spots where it melts.
Have you tried the rubber non slip grips for shoes or boots? There are many different brands. You can try Amazon to check out the many varieties and either purchase there if interested, or elsewhere if that's your preference.

Have a great day and week!

For all reading here, please keep in mind the following -
Shop smile.Amazon.com and donations will go to BoneSmart
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/charity/homepage.html?tag=ate362da-20
 
Thank you Layla for taking the time to answer my questions and sorry that I did not let you know sooner I have had a rough week.

I still get tired very quickly and my leg is often stiff and sore. My glutes have been hurting and the tension stretches down to my toes which I would like to rub but I can't reach of course. Resting doesn't seem to help.

I don't think I have been over doing the walking. I did the deep water running on Wednesday which felt good when I was doing it. I don't get the glute pain when I'm deep water running and it lifted my spirits.
 
Another question I have is has anyone used a recumbent stationary exercise bike? I am thinking of getting one to build muscles up in my legs as my legs are thin. I also need the aerobic exercise as I can't make it into the park every day to walk the dogs, depending on the weather and if I'm tired from the previous day.
I had never been on a recumbent bike until recently and I could see how that would be good. I have had a couple of stationary bikes, top end models one came right out of a spin calss. I didn't like the spin class one and I have a Schwinn Airdyne now that's a lot better but the recumbent is nice. I'd see if I could try one first to see how you like it.
I found it was real easy to overdo it in the pool, real easy to slip a little too and place strain on the joint. Touching my toes took longer with my right than my left. It's more of a sneaking up on them thing, a little bit at a time to stretch things out.
 
I did the deep water running on Wednesday which felt good when I was doing it. I don't get the glute pain when I'm deep water running
Do you get the glute pain afterward? As, Eman85, mentioned above, it is easy to overdo it in the water. If you think that's a possibility you can either give the deep water running a break, or slow it down and see if you notice a difference in your discomfort level. Energy Drain is common and you're still early into recovery in the whole scheme of things. You will continue to gain strength and stamina with each passing month. Hang in there, it's going to get better. A great week to you!
 
Thank you eman85 and Layla, I do think the deep water running may have contributed to the glute pain, this Wednesday I will take it a bit easier and float more.

The last week I was also putting together needlework supplies orders for my business to send which involves a lot of rotating on my feet and sitting at the computer. I think it physically and mentally drained me, I ended up crying from the stress of it as it really impacts my walking - shuffling my feet.

I ended up on Saturday lying around all day recovering and crying by the end of the day as I still did not feel recovered. It Is hard to know how many orders I should do without draining my energy.

If I'm not doing the orders, I feel like I'm sitting around a lot and I know sitting is also not good, I need to find that fine balance.

I did get my sock on today though!!!! Too chilly to not wear socks here :snow:Have a good week.
 
The last week I was also putting together needlework supplies orders for my business to send which involves a lot of rotating on my feet and sitting at the computer. I think it physically and mentally drained me
Sounds like it did drain you. Listen to your body, I believe it was telling you too much, too soon.

I ended up on Saturday lying around all day recovering and crying by the end of the day as I still did not feel recovered. It Is hard to know how many orders I should do without draining my energy.
I'm sorry, this is sad. If a day of rest didn't help you feel better, then you need more rest. Energy Drain is real at this point and you're not alone in experiencing it.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does the best healing while we're sleeping.

If I'm not doing the orders, I feel like I'm sitting around a lot and I know sitting is also not good, I need to find that fine balance.
We normally recommend a Phased Return To Work beginning at twelve weeks, but understand not everyone is able to take that time away from work. I'd suggest that you start slow and do only half of what you did the last time you worked (unless it was extremely excessive) then slowly build from there. See how that works.

Yay for getting socks on. :yay: Have a great week!
 
:hi: Hi Tan,
How are you doing these days? I hope better than last time you posted.
Please let us know as time allows.
Happy Three Month Anniversary! Have a nice weekend.
@Tan
 
Hi Layla

Thank you for thinking of me. I'm more active now but I'm still having difficulties with leg and arm weakness, I see the neurologist on Monday.

I think it could be anxiety causing or contributing to the problem as when I am anxious and have not slept well the weakness in my body and walking is much worse, so I am trying to not overdo it and listen to my body. When my body feels tired or anxious, I stop and listen to a podcast or watch TV and I'm making a conscious effort not to dwell on anxious thoughts.

I have started an online class for strength training for my older dog which is taking my mind off things. I am feeling more hopeful.

Tanja
 
Hi there, Tan, nice hearing from you!
Hopefully your appointment with the neurologist went well on Monday and you were able to get a diagnosis for the weakness in your arms and legs. I'm sorry you're struggling with anxiety. Thankfully you've found some coping mechanisms to help with the worry and restlessness. Taking the online course will benefit you and your furry friend. It's all good! I hope you have a nice Christmas if you celebrate. :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
@Tan
 
Hi @Layla

My neurological appointment got cancelled because the specialist was sick but I saw him on Thursday, he has put me on a medication which is supposed to help with the rigidity in my arms and legs and weakness so time will tell if it works or if it’s just my recovery that is slower or stress. The neurologist didn’t have a name for what I have as he is not sure, he can see the rigidity, so this is the first step to see if the medication will help.

I am dealing with some Glute pain at the moment, I wake up with my leg very stiff and sore and with glute pain so I do some stretches, the Glute hurts on the walk with my dogs, in the back of my buttock, as well as it feels like at the back/outside towards the bottom of the hip as it is as if something is going over the hip joint when I take a big stride.
I have no groin pain. My Physio wants me to walk with a straight leg as it is slightly bent and it’s causing the glute to be tight.

Tan
 
Hi Tan,
I hope the medication helps with the rigidity and I am sorry you're dealing with the glute pain also. Possibly icing after your walk will help with the glute discomfort? If you continue to have the pain, consider bringing it up with your surgeon at your next visit. You still have quite a bit of time for healing to happen so I hope you continue to see improvement.
A great weekend to you!
@Tan
 
Hi Tan,
I hope you're doing well as we flip the calendar and you're now four months post op to date. Happy Four Month Anniversary and a very happy, healthy new year too.
@Tan
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom