Guest viewing is limited

TKR Swollen 9 months post op<

I’m OK - just sorry for myself and feeling foolish but I’ll get over it. You have given good advice which I will take and hope that my knee settles down soon
 
I bet if you give it lots of rest that your knee will settle right down.
 
Does compression help? Is it OK/good to do some walking - not over the top but 20-30 minutes at a time? I am feeling so lazy but I am icing and elevating 3-4 times a day
 
Compression might help,along with elevation and icing.

As for the walking, try starting with just 10 minutes. No increase in swelling? OK. Add a couple more minutes.
If your swelling increases, you'll know that even 10 minutes was too much.

The idea is to let the swelling go down and then gradually increase your activity.
 
Will do - currently reclining as a lady of leisure with leg elevated (yes properly!) with ice-pack.
 
No change really - but it is a bit soon to judge, I think.
Thanks for asking. I’ve been really feeling alone with this until now.
 
Is it OK/good to do some walking - not over the top but 20-30 minutes at a time?
I'd concur with Celle. She knows y'know!
I am feeling so lazy but I am icing and elevating 3-4 times a day
Don't think of it as being lazy. You're actually working quite hard right now - working hard letting your body and your knee recover and heal!
I’ve been really feeling alone with this until now.
I'm so delighted that you now feel supported. But don't forget that this turn around may take a few weeks to really change, so don't get dispirited when you feel like it's taking forever.
 
No change really - but it is a bit soon to judge, I think.
You are exactly right. It will take a couple of weeks or so, I imagine, before you see any difference.
 
I need to use this time well as go to Rome in 3 weeks time (husband at Conference). and will have to walk around. I’m thinking of buying something that I can put ice in to use when I manage to rest up! Last time abroad in May at (4 months post op), I was ‘gung-ho’ and cycled madly all over the place every day. I guess in your terms, I have spent 5-6 months abusing my knee and soft tissues before expecting recovery in a few days!
 
I’m thinking of buying something that I can put ice in to use when I manage to rest up!
Have a look on amazon.co.uk . They have quite a large selection of refillable ice bags, at a reasonable cost. They should deliver in time for your trip to Rome.
 
A wee update: yesterday for the first time my knee felt almost cool to touch (like other knee), I went to bed thinking, ‘just maybe...’. Today I had visitors to prepare for, a trip to our Church fair, walking down a cobbled Street, standing while talking to parishioners and my knee is now crying. It is really difficult to avoid ‘life’ which I have largely done this week in my intensive knee care. I am now ice ice and elevating before the family arrive.
How will I know when it is OK to do normal things let alone my fitness stuff? Is it really just trial and error? I also decided to take anti-inflammatory medication that I stopped because of its effect on my stomach.
 
Try things a little at a time. Your knee seems to be quite upset. You probably should have just prepared for your visitors and skipped the church fair, all you did there, with an upset knee, set you right back.

You shouldn’t have to drop out of life totally, but for a few weeks you should consider cutting back a lot of activities, or your knee will continue to rebel.

I just reread that you are going to Rome in 3 weeks. If I were you I’d do as little as possible between now and then to give your knee a chance to relax. If you don’t you might not enjoy your trip if your knee is still this upset.
 
Hi Jockette, the problem is that I don’t think ahead. It doesn’t occur to me that I’m doing too much until I’ve done it. I am really going to need to pace myself now. I thought that cutting out the exercise and weights etc would have made the difference but I am learning very slowly ...!
 
:console2: We all learn the hard way!
 
Life is enough exercise! I’m nearly 11 months and I still plan to have easy day either before or after a life event.
If your planning on doing lots of siteseeing in Rome plan on lots of pit stops and rest your knee whenever possible. Queing round the Vatican, I believe can be a long time. Take your stick with you and see if you can do disabled viewing - just a thought.
Also book disabled access on the plane there and back. I never have, flying to Spain, but should have done the first couple of trips. At the very least take your stick to give you confidence. It’s not the waiting or sitting or walking to the gate (at Gatwick gates can be a short walk away) its getting up and down the steps to the plane. I have very little bend and can be very slow.
Also try and find a place to get ice or take gel pads and find somewhere to freeze them or travel ice pad, which are a clever concept but take up quite a bit of space in luggage - good for trips in Britain, I’ve used them twice. Icing and elevating at the end or middle of the day while away feels soooooo good!

Have a lovely time.
 
Book tickets online for the Vatican and other places. The day I went to the Sistine Chapel the queue was 600m long. I got on my phone booked an online ticket - only had to wait an hour and a half so I went to a cafe and had lunch then walked up to the door. Much better use of time that waiting in lines!
 
If your planning on doing lots of siteseeing in Rome plan on lots of pit stops and rest your knee whenever possible. Queing round the Vatican, I believe can be a long time. Take your stick with you and see if you can do disabled viewing - just a thought.
Also book disabled access on the plane there and back
All good advice!
Yes, book to have wheelchair assistance at the airports. It will save you a lo fo walking in those long airport corridors.
Also, plan to arrive early at airports, because your new knee will probably sound the alarm at security.
We have a thread about that:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/have-you-set-off-the-alarms-at-airports.2270/

Here are some tips for flying after a joint replacement:
Flying soon after surgery
 
Book tickets online for the Vatican and other places.”
Great idea, I’ll do that!
All good advice!
Yes, book to have wheelchair assistance at the airports. It will save you a lo fo walking in those long airport corridors.
Also, plan to arrive early at airports, because your new knee will probably sound the alarm at security.
Thank you. But it seems cheating to get a wheelchair when I really can walk!

I Will arrive early and thank you for the advice about travelling and knee surgery. Gatwick Airport is a problem because it has long corridors - so I may ask for assistance there.
 
Back
Top Bottom