Guest viewing is limited

TKR Swollen 9 months post op<

Well now I am over the 8 week mark and still finding that I can't stand or shop comfortably for more than 20 minutes at a time. I have found a class called 'aqua wellbeing' I reckon it is aqua fit for the aged and infirm! Is gives me the opportunity to exercise without discomfort but I am quite sore for 24 hours afterwards. I am just SO grateful for Bonesmart and in particular the encouragement to trust my body to know when to stop and when it is ready to move on. I am currently trying to get my fitness up as my surgeon hopes to operate on my opposite hip THR when my mobility sufficiently good.
If I want to prepare for Hip Surgery, do I need to post in another forum? how would I go about it
 
You’re doing great for your stage of recovery! Being able to stand for longer periods comes a bit later than, say, walking for the same amount of time. So that will come along by and by. So will the fitness as you keep up the exercise. You are trusting your body, and it’s the one voice that must be obeyed.

Yep, if you want the real scoop on hip replacement, you should pop over to the Hip Replacement areas. The people there are really nice and welcoming and, best of all, they know all the ins, outs, and details of hip replacement! Go to the experts, right? :wink:
 
Is there anyone who can help? I have persistent sore feet when standing or walking for the first few minutes each time I get up. It is really sore when I weight bear - it does wear off but each time I get up it is much more bothersome than my knee!
Any suggestions as why and what I can do?
 
I had that years ago and went to a foot doctor. He recommended that I freeze a 12oz soft drink bottle. Once frozen, I would roll each foot up and down the frozen bottle on the floor. This helped me a lot. Eventually, I bought rocker bottom shoes, which helped me more that anything. I do not recommend them to any new knee people. They can throw you off balance until you learn to walk in them. I hope the frozen bottles will help you.
 
Are you wearing old shoes? We recommend people buy new shoes for after TKR, because the new knee can alter your gait and wear patterns. If you’re wearing old shoes, the old wear pattern could be making your feet unhappy. Just a thought.

The frozen water bottle idea is one I’ve heard before. Hope it can help!
 
Frozen water bottles sounds like it would be good to try. I’ll give that a go.
At the moment, I notice the pain most when I’m in bare feet or slippers. Most of the outside walking is in recently bought comfortable ankle boots and I don’t notice much pain.

Thank you both for your advice
 
It sounds like you might be needing to keep some shoes on with good arch supports.
 
Hi I am now 5 months from surgery and was doing brilliantly- almost forgot I had a knee until about 3 weeks ago . Now it is swollen and painful. Is this common? Do I need to go back to ice & elevation?
NB I was under the title “Blues at day 15” but can’t find my way back to that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I iced well after I went back to work and that was 5 months


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @cannygirl
I've found your earlier thread and merged your new thread with it

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we (and you) have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Hi I am now 5 months from surgery and was doing brilliantly- almost forgot I had a knee until about 3 weeks ago . Now it is swollen and painful. Is this common? Do I need to go back to ice & elevation?
I'm sorry your knee seems to have regressed a bit. I hope it soon settles down again.
Yes, I think going back to icing and elevating will help. Your knee is still not quite half way through this year-long recovery, so you have plenty of time to improve again.

I'm wondering if anything has happened that might have caused this setback.
Have you increased your activity, done anything out of the ordinary that could have contributed to it?

It's possible that your knee felt so good that you unconsciously did too much for it. As well as Icing and elevating, try to ease back on your activities for a few weeks, to give your knee a chance to improve again.
If none of that helps, do go and see your surgeon again.
 
Thank you for the advice, I think I overdid the heavy uphill cycling but everything had been working so well and I had already done quite a bit of cycling, aqua-wellness classes and the gym, so I stepped up and I think I might have twisted as I came to a sudden stop on the bike. I will try to go back to resting and icing again
Re title - I couldn’t find my posts anywhere and I felt desperate for some advice! I am sorry to have messed up the system


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I iced well after I went back to work and that was 5 months


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you Lennie, what bothered me was that I had almost a month with a ‘normal’ knee and feel I am going backwards.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You’re not going backwards. You just did something different that your knee didn’t like. You are not even halfway healed yet and our knees can be such drama queens at times, mine certainly is!

It’s frustrating when this happens, but just rest it for a while. Recovery is temporary and eventually you’ll be able to do the things you want.

Just remember, if you push the knee, the knee will push back, and the knee will always win.
 
I am sorry to have messed up the system

@cannygirl: You didn't mess up the system. It's a minor glitch, and its really easy to find your thread if you know how to do it. Read the article that Celle posted in her response and its all explained in there. This forum is fabulous and such a blessing. However navigating the site is not easy for a beginner, especially one who is not comfortable in technology. Throw in the fact that most of us are in pain and scared when we first come here, and its no wonder we mess-up sometimes. I think the best advice I have seen is to bookmark your thread. That way you are only a click away from getting back to it. Welcome to you, and I hope you keep coming back to the site. You will always find support here. :)
 
Thank you for the advice, I think I overdid the heavy uphill cycling but everything had been working so well and I had already done quite a bit of cycling, aqua-wellness classes and the gym, so I stepped up and I think I might have twisted as I came to a sudden stop on the bike. I will try to go back to resting and icing again
That could well be the culprit. I found my knee was sensitive to minor tweaks for months. And I wasn't even doing the level of activity you were.
 
You’re not going backwards. You just did something different that your knee didn’t like. You are not even halfway healed yet and our knees can be such drama queens at times, mine certainly is!

It’s frustrating when this happens, but just rest it for a while. Recovery is temporary and eventually you’ll be able to do the things you want.

Just remember, if you push the knee, the knee will push back, and the knee will always win.

Oh Bother[emoji30]. I was so happy to have a knee that worked without ‘talking back’ that I guess I just got on with normal life It is SO reassuring and helpful to have these responses. Those without this experience just think I’m making a fuss when I should now be 100% better


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
That could well be the culprit. I found my knee was sensitive to minor tweaks for months. And I wasn't even doing the level of activity you were.

Mmm - I’ve always acted like I could do anything - being a delicate flower! If a thing needs doing, I’ll do it. Maybe I need to be more cautious for a while


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@cannygirl: You didn't mess up the system. It's a minor glitch, and its really easy to find your thread if you know how to do it. Read the article that Celle posted in her response and its all explained in there. This forum is fabulous and such a blessing. However navigating the site is not easy for a beginner, especially one who is not comfortable in technology. Throw in the fact that most of us are in pain and scared when we first come here, and its no wonder we mess-up sometimes. I think the best advice I have seen is to bookmark your thread. That way you are only a click away from getting back to it. Welcome to you, and I hope you keep coming back to the site. You will always find support here. :)

Hi there, the issue is that you can’t bookmark in an app only on The web itself - that I’ve now done.
I do find navigation difficult on this site and I am pretty technologically savvy.

I SO appreciate it though, I’d go though treacle for this help for my sanity![emoji847]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I have never used an app for Bonesmart, I just come on the internet via my phone.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom