• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Swelling<

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all, well yesterday I think I my have over done it, I had to marzipan and ice a three tier wedding cake, I did have a friend to help but I was stood for about 3 hours and went up and down the stairs 4 times during the course of the day, I felt ok apart from a very bad back ache, but today I'm tired and my legs are throbbing and the area by my scar is aching too, I'm icing and resting today but do you think I overdid it yesterday?

SarahBee

graduate
Country
United States United States
Seems to me you might have, @orange! :heehee: And here I was wondering if wiping down my bathroom and washing towels might have been a bit much for my back. :snork:
Rest! You've earned it!

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One month hipversary, @orange
:flwrysmile:
Celebrating by trying to revoke your membership into the ODIC (OverDid It Club) are you?
I understand you must have had obligations for a wedding cake, but you now must really just Do You!
Hope all eases soon and the only "icing" going on is that hip.:ice:

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
Hi, me again , when will I know I'm ready to walk unaided?

SarahBee

graduate
Country
@orange, My PT told me to continue using my cane until my limp was gone. Okay to glide around the kitchen counters or sofa but not to give up the cane too soon. Her concern is a permanent limp. Others may have had different instructions

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
This often varies from person to person. I would say it might be at least a few more weeks depending on how long you are walking for and what kind of terrain. I think I could mostly get around the house unaided after 5 or 6 weeks with bilateral, but it could really cause me groin pain, buttock pain, and muscle issues if I had to walk for longer distances unaided especially on uneven terrain like inclines...declines.
What Ive heard said most on the forum is- it is best to use the cane until you can walk without limping.

Still very early days my friend. Let your body let you know if its ready and dont push it. Still alot of healing happening.

Hope you feel better after your great cake escapade yesterday.

Carriemay60

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
Oh gosh, you are early days. I am just starting to use a cane instead of the walker a bit more. Monday I was pretty good on the cane but then a PT setback has left me more unsure of it. Hoping to try it more tomorrow. I still hobble if I try to counter cruise so I know I'm way too early for nothing. I also want a really good gait and stride before ditching the cane because I believe it leaves you in much better shape for a really good long term recovery. Technically, I think if you find yourself walking away without your crutches or cane, you can try giving them up but please don't if you are still limping. When you first wake up in the morning I go to just get up and walk to the bathroom but within seconds, reality hits, usually before my feet even hit the ground thankfully!

Hoppy Nanny

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
It’s very different for everyone... on my first THR I used one cane
for 9 months as I could not walk without limping... after that it was fine...
My 2nd THR (6 weeks ago) and I’m already walking indoors mostly without one... outside though I will use one until I feel completely confident.
It will happen ... just time & patience ... I know..that’s the hard bit [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
This often varies from person to person. I would say it might be at least a few more weeks depending on how long you are walking for and what kind of terrain. I think I could mostly get around the house unaided after 5 or 6 weeks with bilateral, but it could really cause me groin pain, buttock pain, and muscle issues if I had to walk for longer distances unaided especially on uneven terrain like inclines...declines.
What Ive heard said most on the forum is- it is best to use the cane until you can walk without limping.

Still very early days my friend. Let your body let you know if its ready and dont push it. Still alot of healing happening.

Hope you feel better after your great cake escapade yesterday.
Thanks mojo, I had a feeling my body would let me know when it's ready but thought I'd check. Yes I'm feeling a lot better than yesterday thank you, learnt the hard way not to over do it.

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
Oh gosh, you are early days. I am just starting to use a cane instead of the walker a bit more. Monday I was pretty good on the cane but then a PT setback has left me more unsure of it. Hoping to try it more tomorrow. I still hobble if I try to counter cruise so I know I'm way too early for nothing. I also want a really good gait and stride before ditching the cane because I believe it leaves you in much better shape for a really good long term recovery. Technically, I think if you find yourself walking away without your crutches or cane, you can try giving them up but please don't if you are still limping. When you first wake up in the morning I go to just get up and walk to the bathroom but within seconds, reality hits, usually before my feet even hit the ground thankfully!
Thanks Carriemay. I'm on one crutch now and sometimes use a cane instead but yes I think I'll leave it a while before I go without either, hope you are doing ok.

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
It’s very different for everyone... on my first THR I used one cane
for 9 months as I could not walk without limping... after that it was fine...
My 2nd THR (6 weeks ago) and I’m already walking indoors mostly without one... outside though I will use one until I feel completely confident.
It will happen ... just time & patience ... I know..that’s the hard bit [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks hoppy nanny, yes patience is the hard part, everyone seems to be different , some are walking and back at work after just a few weeks!! Don't know how they do it

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
Hi everyone, had to go to my friends wedding yesterday ( the one I iced the cakes for ) was hoping to stay for the ceremony and the sit down meal but only managed the ceremony, I didn't want to suffer too much so decided to leave after a couple of hours. My leg did swell slightly but the worst was my back ache, it's fine when I'm sitting but walking around hurts it more and more. But so glad I got to see her get married :cheers2:. I'm resting today with a movie and choccies. :loveshwr:Have a good day everyone

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hope your Sunday is relaxing and chilled out:ice:

Carriemay60

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
I'm glad to got to the wedding ceremony at least. It must have been hard to leave before the reception but I am sure you did the right thing. Enjoy your movies and sweets today!

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
I went to plant sale today, mainly for a bit of exercise, didn't buy anything, but when I got home I managed about 10 steps with no crutch or cane :yes!:. I'm so proud of myself, my partner was in front of me just in case and even he was choked that I did it:wowspring:

JennyLynne

post-grad
Country
That’s awesome! [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member