• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Swelling<

Bionic

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi @orange
I think I was able to get my leg off the bed on my own before you have but I don't think you are unusual. Mine just 'happened' one day and then I didn't look back.
As for the lower back ache I think thats pretty normal because you aren't yet walking properly. If you are anything like me using one crutch can make your back worse because I tended to lean over to the side of the crutch. I'm not suggesting that you do away with the crutch but just try to walk as tall and up straight as you can.

SarahBee

graduate
Country
United States United States
@orange , I was told was once the swelling went down, strength would return. And it did.

My lower back ached because of sleeping on my back. I put a pillow under my knees and that did help as well.

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
Hi @orange
I think I was able to get my leg off the bed on my own before you have but I don't think you are unusual. Mine just 'happened' one day and then I didn't look back.
As for the lower back ache I think thats pretty normal because you aren't yet walking properly. If you are anything like me using one crutch can make your back worse because I tended to lean over to the side of the crutch. I'm not suggesting that you do away with the crutch but just try to walk as tall and up straight as you can.
Thanks bionic, after I posted that message I tried to get my leg off the bed unaided and .........I did it . Yes I am leaning on the one crutch quite a lot so that makes sense, tried a step without support but operated leg is not strong enough yet. I'll keep practising the walk.

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
@orange , I was told was once the swelling went down, strength would return. And it did.

My lower back ached because of sleeping on my back. I put a pillow under my knees and that did help as well.
Thanks Sarahbee. Still slight swelling in leg, but after I posted this message I tried again and I managed to get leg off bed unaided

SarahBee

graduate
Country
Yay! Nothing like the sweet smell of success! I hope it just gets better from here!

SE Florida

post-grad
Country
Hi everyone, 22 days post op now, doing much better, I'm down to one crutch most of the time, still got no power in my leg to get it off the bed unaided, Is this normal? And I have lower back ache
I'm trying to remember which posting I read about this @orange , it may have been @Carriemay60 or @Fairydell ?? There have been posts here about what people have used like a scarf or belt to put under their leg to lift it off of the bed. I think the term used is "log leg" because it's hard to lift.

mollymum

Country
Thanks Sarahbee. Still slight swelling in leg, but after I posted this message I tried again and I managed to get leg off bed unaided
Hi @orange, I have rather over - done it during the Easter weekend so I'm feeling the effects with back pain /and some groin pain so am resting / icing and taking regular paracetamol but keeping up with short walks around the garden, it's so nice to be outside, although we are forecast thunderstorms her on the East Coast later . I think I've been lucky not to have log leg longer than 3-4 days post op, but still have pain so guess we all have something that we worry about! I know I'm always better when I don't join the ODIC ️ and my mood and temper is better, as well.!

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
Hi @orange, I have rather over - done it during the Easter weekend so I'm feeling the effects with back pain /and some groin pain so am resting / icing and taking regular paracetamol but keeping up with short walks around the garden, it's so nice to be outside, although we are forecast thunderstorms her on the East Coast later . I think I've been lucky not to have log leg longer than 3-4 days post op, but still have pain so guess we all have something that we worry about! I know I'm always better when I don't join the ODIC ️ and my mood and temper is better, as well.!
Hi mollymum, I see we both had the op on the same day , I think we are all guilty of the ODIC occasionally, I hope you feel better soon, I find the Icing sooooo helpful. I'm on the Isle of Wight and it's been quite damp today but still nice to get a bit of fresh air

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
I'm trying to remember which posting I read about this @orange , it may have been @Carriemay60 or @Fairydell ?? There have been posts here about what people have used like a scarf or belt to put under their leg to lift it off of the bed. I think the term used is "log leg" because it's hard to lift.
Hiya, yes I have been using a scarf to help lift my leg out of bed but today did manage it without,

Missysgram

Country
Same here. Surgery Monday for RTHR still swollen. Ended up staying two nights in the hospital. Walk, Ice, pain medication, elevate, ankle pumps has become my routine. Glad I did it though. Different pain than before and this will improve each day.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hey orange :wave:
You're doing great for three and a half weeks post op.
I hope your day is going well so far.
Wishing you all the best as you continue on your healing journey. :walking:
Happy Weekend! :SUNsmile:
@orange

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
Hi lovelies, I was told I couldn't shower or wash my hair for at least 6 weeks because of 90% bend and shower being over bath so couldn't get in. This has been driving me nuts, I have a strip wash every day but my hair ....well let's just say you could fry chips in it, so today enough was enough, filled the hand basin with water put towels on the floor and just threw water over my head Shampoo, conditioner and then another load of water..... Blisssssssssss. Very wet floor but hey ho, at least my hair is clean and I feel so much better for doing it.

OP
OP
orange

orange

Country
Glad that felt good!

Have you looked at a transfer bench to facilitate a shower in the tub?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Hinjennylynne, no I haven't heard of a transfer bench? What is it?

JennyLynne

post-grad
Country
Google “tub transfer bench” - one set of legs is out of tub, one in tub. You sit down and slide over. Allows for fairly easy tub showers. Even if you don’t have a hand held shower head, you can probably get in the shower stream just fine. I used at my former home, after foot surgery once, when I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Carriemay60

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
Hi @orange This is exactly what I use. I slide myself onto to the bench as much as I can and then use my housecoat cord to lift the leg over. (you have to make sure the curtain is tucked in really well) Once soaped up I stand to rinse and wash my hair. The side that is in the tub has a arm or handle that is high enough to use as support if needed. I sit down to get out. I never feel at risk of a fall at all. Worth every single penny!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Wilson
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom