BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] SuzyQ58 in recovery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by SuzyQ58, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

United States United States
    Elad1002, I think I will be going from heat to ice today as well.It’s snowing here today so I’m staying out and resting. My surgeon said to be patient. It could take up to a year for the swelling and stiffness to go away. Hang in there. So glad we can all encourage each other:)

2. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@SuzyQ58
    Thanks for the reminder. I am impatient I do admit. I'm icing today, went for a 10 minute walk outdoors just to get some sun. New pain in my kneecap, hopefully that wont last. Have no idea how I will work in 10 days.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

Elad1002, I hope your pain in your knee has subsided. I too have a new pain in mine. I’m doing the exercise bike now 30-45 min. a day at minimal speed. My knee I had replaced 9 months ago feels terrific but the 3 month old knee not so much. Hopefully it will start feeling better as well. Do you have a sitting down job or lots of walking and standing?

4. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@SuzyQ58
    I have a job that requires me to both sit and stand. I work as Dir. Of Therapeutic Recreation in long term healthcare and have to push wheelchairs everyday as well. I'm not sure if that is good for my knee, some of these people are very heavy.

5. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

@Elad1002 I volunteer at. Nursing home a couple days a week and also have been pushing wheelchairs. Sometimes I have more swelling so I ice and elevate when I come home. Do you ever have any clicking in your knee? My new one clicks all the time. Again my 9 month old knee does not .

6. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

Just curious everyone. I have increased my exercises this week quite a bit. I’m doing the stationary bike 45 min a day now at minimal speed. Is clicking normal in the knee? Anybody experience this? No pain just clicking or popping from my knee.

7. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

I have clicking from time to time. My OS said it's totally normal.

8. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

• Like Like x 1
  9. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

My husband and I are down in Florida now. It’s the first time I’ve walked in the sand since my surgery. My knee doesn’t hurt but the swelling has now moved to my ankle and foot. Not severe swelling but enough that it’s noticeable.

Today I went for a massage. My masseuse was a physical therapist before hand and was very knowledgeable. She massaged and stretched my leg and also applied some CBD oil. It felt great!

Does anybody on here use it? I also have gone off my Celebrex. I’m now trying Turmeric 2 times a day. I can’t tell any difference since I’ve been on it. I may go back to PT. I just feel like I’m not making much progress. I know I’m only 3 months out but feeling discouraged .

10. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    The massage sounds like a good idea.

Your new knee isn't quite 4 months old yet, so it's less than a third of the way through this year-long recovery. At this stage, progress does take place slowly, so you won't notice any big leaps in improvement, but your knee is still working at healing. It's still a work in progress, not the finished article.

Walking on sand is pretty hard work for a new knee, so that may be what's caused the swelling. Gravity, as it does, has moved the swelling downhill, to your ankles.
    Have you tried spending additional time resting and elevating your leg? That may help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

I think that’s just what I need to do. I’m going to try and rest it more today and elevate. Also the masseuse suggested taking a bath with epsom salt She said that takes away some of the swelling as well.

12. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Turmeric seems to work mainly for inflammation of soft tissue. It did nothing for my arthritic knees, but is brilliant for my tendonopathy. It seems to work for some and not others, but maybe it depends on the underlying cause of the pain? Don't be discouraged at this stage. This isn't a linear recovery, it takes many a step back just to thwart us. If you're walking on sand with no pain that's great!

• Like Like x 1
  13. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

@Lindylee thanks. I agree it doesn’t hurt walking in the sand but I have swelled up this week. I started back on my Celebrex yesterday so we shall see what happens. If swelling continues I’ll contact my surgeon when I get back home from Florida :)

14. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

How often are you walking on the sand? It may be taking more of a toll than you realize. I am still not very comfortable on uneven surfaces, and sand shifts beneath your feet when you step on it, causing us to kind of trudge through it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Did going off the celebrex coincide with the increased activity and swelling?
    As others have pointed out, even at 3-4 months you're still recovering so it's pretty easy to make the knee angry still.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

I started back on my Celebrex a few days ago. It feels better when I’m on it. Swelling is still there though. Yesterday I walked in a heated pool. It felt amazing! Hopefully my knee will settle down soon :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

I just spent a couple weeks in Florida again. I had no issues walking in the sand this time but when I tried to ride my bike my knee didn’t want to cooperate. My right knee that I had replaced a year ago feels amazing when I bike but my left knee is so stiff , especially while riding my bike. Has anyone else had this problem while biking? What can I do to limber it up more? Do you think I need physical therapy. My TKR was 5 months ago. I’m feeling discouraged

18. Jockette

5 months is still early in this 12 month, on average, recovery. Every knee is different, even on the same person. Your surgeon may have had to do something different with this knee than he did the other one.

Try to be patient and give it time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

Thanks Jockette, is there anything I should be doing to get it to bend more when I’m on the bike ? When I walk it’s good just feels really stiff while I’m riding. Is that pretty common?

20. Jockette

I think just time is the best remedy for bend. It’s still stiff because it’s still healing. My bend continued to improve in my second year post op, as my whole leg continued to relax.

Where you are now is not where you will end up.

I think it’s great that you could walk comfortably in the sand at this point. That’s a huge accomplishment.

• Like Like x 1