Guest viewing is limited

THR SuziGirl's Recovery Thread - Fell on 4y.o. THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI !
I had my LTHR about two weeks before you. This evening I was just talking to my hubby about the residual discomfort I am feeling. All my aches and pains seem to mirror yours...it's almost uncanny. I treat with flexeril and motrin too! I just don't think I am quite myself yet!
About a month ago, I had started to experience thigh pain. I called my OS who wanted to see me immediately...long story short, the xrays showed a beautiful, stable uncemented hip. (I was so worried because I had seen people who were put on crutches for 2 mos due to thigh pain...) The point I wanted to get to is how my OS reacted. He asked me if it was possible I was doing a little too much? (I'm a caterer and I love to golf...so this is our busy time!) Then he and my OT pointed out that I had just had Major Surgery 12 weeks before. (I forgot to say I am also a non-working RN...so I know better). Anyway, I dialed myself back just a bit and that has made a world of difference!
This afternoon, I ran into a woman who I really respect and we got to talking about hip replacements. Her question for me was Are you still doing your rehab exercises faithfully? (Obviously, I'm not) :-( So I have made the same commitment to myself to spend the next month religiously doing them. I will anxiously watch for your updates, so keep us posted on your progress! Good Luck!

Kathy
upstate NY
LTHR anterior, 3/26/12
 
Hey Suzi

Just dropped by to say hello, and to see how you are doing :)

Slow and steady wins the race :)
 
Hi folks, long time no see! Hope everyone is doing at least okay around here :)
Just an update on my progess: my THR of my left hip is completely healed at this point, 6.5 months later. Couldn't ask for more.
The issue now is this: about 1.5 weeks ago I fell while walking my dog and presmably pulled my hip flexor and adductors on the right hip which was done almost 5 yrs ago now. I had to go to ER where I had xrays done and was told I should feel better in a week since the pics revealed nothing.
My pain started subsiding so I started using a cane instead of the walker last Sat. I was sailing along fine (I thought)when the pain returned in just the adductors. Went to the dr who said it's just gonna take time. Well I woke up this morning and the pain no longer feels like a muscle issue, it feels like maybe there is a bone issue. When I walk I don't feel a pull in the muscle anymore, I feel pain kind of shooting down my buttock area.
My husband is out of town and I haven't been doing much of anything except relaxing and maybe too much sitting. If anyone has ideas as to what I should do please let me know.
 
Not many ideas, but you may have irritated a nerve. The shooting pain can often be nerve symptom (such as sciatica). I hope it feels better soon! I'm sure others will drop in with their thoughts as well.

-nerdgrrl
 
I do hope things get better. It really upsetting to have been doing so good and have this set back. If it was me I would go back to the one who did the hip and get it checked. I will try to tag Josephine . She will have something to say. Please take care. Tashia
 
Suzi, you looked familiar, so I checked your posting history, and you have quite a few threads going. I've asked the mods to consolidate them so all your history is in one place.

I'm wondering why you think your healing is complete? Full healing continues for over a year; up to two years. This isn't important to your question about your fall...but it did make me take notice. For practical purposes, we are usually back to mostly complete functioning by six months, but there is still lots of healing activity going on under the surface that we can't see.

As to the fall, I know we all worry about that. I would certainly continue with the resting for the remainder of the weekend. Have you done any icing? Can't hurt....might help. Jo will weigh in soon. I know everyone who reads this thread will be keeping fingers crossed that your pain is just part of the temporary healing from the fall. Shooting down the buttock area does suggest sciatic nerve impingement...if this were the case, again rest, ice...or heat...which sounds better to you?...., very gentle stretching...use your common sense. If something hurts, don't do it.

Sharon
 
Sharon, Suzi has TWO hip replacements and this injury is to the one that was done back in 2008. So the new joint is healed by now. It's a good thing that the xrays show no damage to the hip joint. But....that doesn't mean that a fall won't pull and irritate a whole lot of soft tissue in the area around the hip joint. It will likely take more than a couple of weeks for things to resolve. The advice you have received to rest, ice and maybe even start on the BoneSmart cocktail for a while. You may also want to work on some simple and gentle stretches for your leg muscles. Try not to worry. I do think this is just going to take some time to resolve itself.

By the way, I did consolidate your four recovery threads into this latest one. We like to keep each member's updates, questions and concerns in a single recovery thread so that we can more easily go back for reference more easily. Also, it tells a better story of your recovery for those who come along afterwards to read about your experience. I modified the thread title slightly. But if at any time you prefer something else, just post it here and we'll get it changed.
 
Suzi, I am posting this image so you can tell me exactly where the pain is. This is at the front. of course, but if it's at the back, just say the appropriate number followed by 'back'.

[Bonesmart.org] SuziGirl's Recovery Thread - Fell on 4y.o. THR
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom