Guest viewing is limited

THR SuziGirl's Recovery Thread - Fell on 4y.o. THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Suzi

I would think that you have over stretched this tissue, the new tissue is sensitive. I have done exactly the same thing, even at 7+ months I find myself moving a chair or an object with my operated leg and think... Whoopsey! shouldn't have done that, and I will pay for it for a few days and even feel that weird sensation and say to SO... What have I done to the prosthetic etc!

My suggestion would be to rest, go back to the mantra rest, elevate, ice/ heat and take the meds that are working for you. I find that sometimes these little hippcups (sorry for the pun :) take anything up to a week to settle.. But if you are at all concerned I would suggest you contact your OS office and check..

Take care!... No yelling from me, just cyber hugs coming from OZ!
 
hey Suzi,
I think that you simply overdid it. But if you are in severe or unusual pain, see the meds.

Rest everything, maybe some ice if you can identify a particular aea of soreness. Back to the beginning, elevate. 11 weeks is not very long. Allow yourself to rest and heal.
 
Hi Suzi, I answered your other thread.. Don't worry too much... Other members will come chat also! xx
 
Thanks Eliza & Sandy, I'll do my best to rest. Problem is that I was doing all this major housework at thethe cottage in anticipation of Hubby's family coming to visit for a week. If I remember correctly though no one is arriving until tomorrow or Sunday afternoon. So perhaps I CAN rest a bit. Now to 'fess up to Hubby!
 
I guess my main question is this: is it possible that I created a stress fracture in the femur or did something to the socket? The pain feels like bone pain vs muscle or tissue pain. I'm nervous but don't want to make unnecessary phone calls or appointments.
 
Suzi, I will tag Jamie and Jo, but I think it unlikely however let's get a second opinion here Jamie; Josephine;
 
Suzi,

Several times during my recovery I over did things and always thought the worst. (yes, once was from moving furniture!) Luckily it was always soft tissue, muscle, nerve stuff that resolved after rest, ice, meds, etc. I always called my OS because it always seemed it was a Friday and I would be nervous about the weekend. He always had me come right in, x-rayed the hip and assured me it there was no issue with my new implant.

Perhaps, for your own piece of mind, you might want to at least call. Can't hurt. I would think if you had done something serious you would be in a lot more pain. All the best as you get this sorted out. Please let us know how things go and no moving furniture for a while!:blush:
 
Suzi, is your hip cemented or uncemented?
 
Suzi you just overdid things. If you had done anything to the implant or fracture you would be in agony. Sounds like to strained things around the new implant. No yelling but I guess you know you should not be moving furniture with a new hip. Especially putting sudden pressure through the joint as you did.

Ice and elevate if you can. Continue those meds very regularly for a few days. If things don't settle make the call. But I'm guessing things will settle (she says as I did the same silly thing early out as well :heehee:).

Keep us updated!
 
SuziGirl;

Hi Suzi, was just wondering how you are going? Did you 'fess' up to hubby? Xx
 
But I'm still worried that I've done something to either the implant or the bone.
Them's tough little suckers, Suzi. Take more than nudging a settee over to dislodge it!
Once I get OTC pain medication in me then I'm finest. What should I do?
Keep taking the pills! Preferable at the rate of 1,000mg 3-4 times a day and no more nudging settees!
 
Hi all, sorry I haven't replied but family swooped in the day after I posted. I did 'fess up to hubby in a roundabout way and I'm doing ok as long as I keep up with the cocktail for the pain.
Jamie & Josephine, my hip is uncemented, in fact both are.
Family left earlier today and we came home for the night to check on the house. Tomorrow we go back up with 2 of our daughter's good friends for the weekend. I think I may finally get some rest, we'll see. If nothing else I'll pace myself. These girls are pretty self sufficient at age 14 so I think I'll be ok.
Have a great weekend all!
 
Glad things are settling Suzi! You have a great weekend as well!
 
Be careful. If its not better in a couple of days maybe a phone call to the doctor? I think for me I forget that I have had something very major done and it needs to be treated very gently for a while. Ice, Elevation, and medication helps too. Take care:puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Nah! She's nigh on 12 weeks out - she'll be fine.
 
[Bonesmart.org] SuziGirl's Recovery Thread - Fell on 4y.o. THR
 
Hi folks! Just thought I'd give you a progress report. Tomorrow will be 4 months since my surgery and I'm doing pretty well! However I'm thinking that in spite of walking around 2 miles/day that my abductors and piriformis are still weak. I've been walking with a slight limp by evening at times and I'm feeling a "twinge" of pain in the inner buttock when I straighten up (tying my shoes, picking something up off the floor, etc), each twinge getting more painful. I made an appointment with the surgeon's office and I can't get in until the 21st so in the meantime I'm trying to use the "golfer's" way of bending over, tying my walking shoes in a different position and this morning I re-started my physical therapy exercises. I plan to do them daily and then we'll see how I'm doing by the 21st.
Any input from you wonderful folks is appreciated. Now I plan to poke around on here and see how I can be of support to others! Blessings to all,
SuziGirl
 
I would continue with the exercises until you feel your muscle strength is good and no more limp. I have the hip flexor tear with the most recent hip (caused by aggressive PT, so don't work on it TOO hard), but I found recovery from the first hip went very fast and strength returned quickly because I was so diligent about the exercises, especially side lying abduction. After I started to be able to do them, my muscle strength increased a lot and my limp went away, and that was at only around the 5 week point.

Dorothy
 
Just did a self myofascial release on my piriformis using a rubber ball about 4 inches in diameter and it did wonders for me after a long day. My gluteus medius and piriformis still get tight since I hadn't been doing my exercises and they are still weak. I followed the instructions from the article/photos on self myofascial release that I found via the library. The link is here: broken link removed: https://www.elitesoccerconditioning.com/Stretching-Flexibility/selfmyofasicalrelease.htm. Hopefully it can help others too!
 
I would continue with the exercises until you feel your muscle strength is good and no more limp. I have the hip flexor tear with the most recent hip (caused by aggressive PT, so don't work on it TOO hard), but I found recovery from the first hip went very fast and strength returned quickly because I was so diligent about the exercises, especially side lying abduction. After I started to be able to do them, my muscle strength increased a lot and my limp went away, and that was at only around the 5 week point.

Dorothy
Dorothy,
I hadn't been doing my exercises almost since I was released from PT and that was several weeks ago. I'm sure that most of my "twinges" of discomfort are coming from weakness in that area so today I started my exercises again. I'll try them until my appointment at the surgeon's office on the 21st and see what happens. The worst thing that can happen is there is no improvement, which I doubt. Thanks for the support!
Suzi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom