Guest viewing is limited

THR SuziGirl's Recovery Thread - Fell on 4y.o. THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Full day; do excersises anyway?

Hiya

Like you I also have in recent days done a lot of walking , however the exercises I have been given are to stretch certain muscles in my groin and back which have been shortened due to a stoop , doing my normal activities do not tax these muscles enough.

So I would say if you have a specific problem and the PT has given you an exercise to try and improve it , be it your back, groin or calves keep doing them until told otherwise.
 
Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpful. My exercises are to strengthen my muscles particularly the abductors since my surgery had a posterior approach.
I ended up talking to my physical therapist who said to take a couple of days off to rest as much as possible and to use heat when those muscles deep in the buttock are sore. So far do good, I'll know more on Wednesday when it's actually been a couple of days :)
 
Suzi
I would listen to the advice of your PT / Surgeon who knows your medical situation , whilst us on here can give you our OPINIONS be them educated or not , we don't know your circumstances or PT needs , everyone is different :thumb:

I have been told by both my consultant and two PT's that if I don't do the stretches my muscles will cause me grief as have shortened which is pretty obvious due to my previous posture
 
Hi Suzi,

While we are on the topic of shoes.... it's often suggested here that after your surgery you purchase new shoes. Many of us have found that shoes we wore before surgery have a particular wear pattern that doesn't work well with the changes that happen in our gait with the new hip.

So, just suggesting that you think of this option as well as part of your post-op plan. Hope that your abductors are feeling a bit better each day.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hey Suzi,
I always come in for a bit of flak when I report my exercise regime and getting back to a 'normal' life ASAP. I don't wear heels but if I did I'd want to be back in them too! I got back on a bike 3 weeks post op and now coming up to 5 weeks post op I can cycle 5 miles and love every minute.
I too get the restless leg thing but that was the same before the op and I really dont think its as a result of exercise or the shoes I wear!
I had a 'full' day out on Monday and at the end of it was pretty tired having been on my feet pretty much all day. I was simply too tired to do the routine exercises so just grabbed an early night and did them the next day.
My point is Suzi, everyones different, listen to your body and do what works for you.
Good luck with your recovery!
Will.
 
Hi Suzigirl, I found Magnesium very good for restless leg!
 
My point is Suzi, everyones different, listen to your body and do what works for you.
Good luck with your recovery!
Will.


Spot on from wills640 - i was about to say exactly the same, listen to the surgeon / PT but more importantly listen to your body. Best wishes Paul
 
Hello again Smarties!
I have good news & bad news. The good news is that I went the whole day yesterday without my cane! I even briefly sat cross-legged for the first time in over 10 years! I also took a 1mile walk with Hubby in the evening, I held his hand pretty tight starting around the half mile point since I didn't use my cane.
The bad news is, now that I did all that yesterday I am VERY sore this morning. It feels like it's the glutens medius and the fascia muscles but I could be wrong. So...now I'm in bed with a heating pad and some flexeril along with ibuprofen.
Any other recommendations besides take it easy today? By the way my surgery was on 4/9 so I'm 9 weeks post-op.
Thanks as always for your support!
 
Besides agreeing with the listening to your body advice, (and your practitioners) my PT says if I've done a lot of activity and want to skip my excercises, to still do my stretches, which makes sense to me.

Sounds like, besides the restless leg, you are doing great in your recovery. Good for you, cathy
 
Sounds like you knew exactly what to do. Just your body letting you know it was a very big day :) , cathy
 
Well done on walking without the cane Suzi I'm thinking a whole mile could be a bit too ambitious. Perhaps you could carry a folding cane out with you on your walks for a while just in case.

Hope the soreness eases up soon

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Suzi........ I have been told I should never again wear high heels, or even low ones for that matter:cry4:
It was explained, very carefully, that the danger of going over on one and doing damage to the hip was quite high....... so I listened.
I usually wear flat shoes/pumps/trainers but, like you, want a pair of heels for special occasions.......

So I spent an hour sorting out all my high heels/low heels and boxed them up and took them to a local cancer charity shop where they were delighted to have them.

I have spent some time in town today buying a couple of pairs of 'pretty' flat shoes which are going to be comfortable.... but it has boosted my mood after the above.
Now just have to find another special pair for a family wedding in July:wink1:

Re the exercise, excellent advice........ even if I have had a busy day, I still fit in my 3 exercise periods and my two lying flat times as well...... I amfollowing all of the advice to the letter. Everyone is different though....
 
Rest, ice and pain meds if you need them. As you said - you over did it! Rest and recover and try again. Slow but sure!
 
I started doing my walks without a cane about 1 1/2 weeks ago. And my walks got slower and shorter. I'm amazed at how much more work it is to walk without the cane. So I went back to the cane yesterday for a walk - I was able to walk with a better stride for a longer distance and felt I was exercising the muscles in a "more proper" way. I still go without the cane in and around the house.

My hubby was worried that this is a step backwards. I don't think so. . . . . Anyone else stick with a cane for longish walks at about 9 weeks??

Sally
 
Not at all a backwards step Sally. You are doing exactly what you should. It is hard work walking unaided. And you don't want to get into the habit of limping. Stick with the cane until you are feeling very confident and not getting tired. Long walks - take the cane. Soon you will just leave it behind.
 
I agree - pain isn't a disaster, it's a yardstick by which we measure our previous activities and whether they have been:

"okay, got away with that"
":skeptical: not quite okay, better be careful next time"
":cry: wish I hadn't done that" or
":tantrum2: that was a very bad choice"!
 
Hi, SuziGirl. I also wondered about having done too much. I agree with the others that the mile walk might have been too much. I like to stop when I can tell that I am no longer walking "properly"....like starting to limp, etc. But when I ended up a little sore the day after my first trip to outpatient PT, I didn't want to "wimp out" so I did my recommended exercises at home in spite of the soreness. I was suprised at how the exercises loosened up my muscles and relieved the soreness. I then realized I hadn't done too much but just needed to keep doing as I was told. It's a fine line but we just need to keep doing the best we can....as long as we keep doing something!
 
Hi suzigirl well done so far on your recovery and on your walk without your cane maybe too much I think sometimes we forget that we are overdoing things because it just feels so good to get on and o it grat idea of anniepops about the folding cane as you are always going to have it if needed take care.
Frankie I agree about the exercises loosening you up Ive found that sometimes when my hip muscles etc feel tight shortly after doing some exercises the difference is great
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom