Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

I completely agree with SusieShoes. Just going with the flow of our knees, and not letting anyone worry us about those ROM numbers takes the stress away. That's half the battle won!
 
I love reading your updates. We made today a family day. Went up to Boston for a few pre-op tests. Daughter, her hubby and 3 babies all came. They dropped me off at hospital and took little ones to lunch. When they picked me up my precious 4 year old granddaughter asked "can you sit on floor yet Grandma?". That is her whole goal for my new knees. Mine too !!
 
Wow! I just finished reading your journey to new knees! I love this...so much information and all the realities of recovery. You go girl! You’re rocking those metal hotties! :yes!: I’m inspired for what my future holds... especially with my own grandchildren.
By the way....your grandkids are absolutely adorable!!
:flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
Hi Susie Shoes. Thank you so much for the recovery information. It is so helpful. I have a question about your UTI after surgery. Did the antibiotic you were on take care of it or did you have to take an additional one? I'm very susceptible to UTIs especially when catherized. The last 3 I've had I had no symptoms & could not tell I had one until they got very bad. I noticed cloudy urine. I'm worried I will get a UTI after surgery & infection will travel to knees. I'm having bilateral total knees June 18,2018.
 
@Cwick, the antibiotic took care of the UTI and I never needed more antibiotics. It’s not uncommon to get a UTI after TKR, I’ve found, at least not for we women. It may not happen at all, but if it does, it’s handled matter-of-factly. And don’t worry about a UTI infecting the knee. That’s very unlikely.

Getting two new knees is an adventure. The surgery has a high rate of success and the results are well worth it! I hope you consider joining the Pre-Op Area here. People who’ve had the surgery are happy to answer questions.
 
Welcome to Bonesmart! I got my very first UTI after my tkr. The one treatment of antibiotics knocked it right out!
 
@Cwick I too had the UTI post op. I am going in for my 6 week visit today at 9 weeks, the surgeon seems to be busy. I had no Foley catheter while I was conscious and I'm going to ask if one was used at all. I had a course of cipro that knocked it out. I have found a Knudsen unsweetened cranberry juice and have a small glass in the morning. It perks me up :dubious:
 
Last edited:
Eight and Half Months: Funerals and Gratitude

My father-in-law passed away at the nursing home yesterday afternoon. Though he was 94 and suffered from severe dementia to the point he had forgotten how to walk or swallow, and no longer knew anyone by name, his passing was unexpected. I will be scarce for a few days as the family gathers and grieves.

My most recent post was about how I returned to being more of myself after having BTKR. In the long scheme of things, most of our problems turn out to be temporary. His weren't. When I think of the amazing surgery that gave me a pair of working, functional and pain-free knees, I think also about FIL and how there was nothing medicine could do to keep him from being lost to himself and us.

Often, when FIL would see me walking on my new knees, he would express hope that someone would "fix" him also. I pray someday there will be a "fix" for dementia. Until then, though, I will be happy that joint replacement exists and is such a great help to so many.
 
I’m so sorry for your loss. :console2:
It’s so hard to lose those we love.
 
Oh, SusieShoes, I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I know you had quite a struggle with him while trying to heal from your surgery. But, to lose him to dementia first, then to death is like two deaths. How is your husband doing? I'll be praying for you and your family.
 
Oh I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. When my mother developed dementia and didn’t know who we were, our greatest fear was that her body would keep functioning long after her mind was done. Our prayers/wishes to the fates were answered and she was gone within a month. It took a couple of years before we were able to look past her illness and start remembering the good times
 
So sorry for your loss. It is so hard to watch a loved one disappear a little at a time with dementia. I take comfort knowing that heaven gives them their health back.
 
Oh Susie - I’m so sorry. We lost my Mom 3 weeks ago to dementia. I have had the same thoughts of why we can replace parts of our body but not find a fix for this disease. Mom’s journey was 10 years start to finish and it was so unfair to see such a vibrant woman reduced to where she was at the end.

My family sends love and support to your family as you go through the next stages. Remember to take care of yourself and remember the good times. I continue to tell myself that Mom would want us to keep living and live well.
 
awww i am so sorry @SusieShoes. you were a wonderful, caring daughter-in-law and made him feel loved and acknowledged. sending hugs to both you and mr. shoes.:console2:
 
Thank you for caring and sharing. Cherish the memories of the good times.
 
Last edited:
Goes without saying that I think Susie is a lovely person and another of the fantastic assets this site has plus I hope she can just keep all the happy memories of how her father -in-Law was,prior to his illness..
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom