Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Enjoy that new baby and beautiful Northeast Ohio!

Seven Months: No Icing, No Elevation, and a Wonderful Time

I've returned from Chagrin Falls, OH. It was my first visit. My oldest son bought a house in that area and Mr. Shoes and I went to visit him and my third grandson. It's a really nice community and a wonderful place for walking around, of which I did a lot. The downtown area is quaint, with waterfalls, a post box just for Santa, and lots of interesting shops. The ice cream shop is spectacular and as close as I got to icing my knees the whole trip.

The knees were troopers. It was a six hour drive each way on the Pennsylvania/Ohio Turnpikes, which resulted in only a little stiffness on getting out of the car. I didn't ice or elevate the whole trip, other than sleeping on a bed at night. No complaints from the knee department. I still had the residual effects of my Wisconsin Crud, though, so my lungs weren't quite full health. Nonetheless, I got out and about quite a lot, lots of shopping, and played with the little one.

Speaking of the little one, he was born three years ago VERY prematurely. Twenty five weeks and not quite one and a half pounds. Tiny, tiny boy. The Cleveland Clinic NICU did amazing work to pull him through, though it was touch and go and he stayed in the hospital for three months. As a result of being so premature, he had a slow start, but he's caught up to his age level! It's so good to see him doing well! Pictures of him, and of him with Grandma and Grandpa Shoes walking him out from physical therapy, which he still goes to. Like TKR patients, he needs to work on his quads for stair-climbing and jumping. :happydance: Can I just say his exercises looked like lots more fun? None of that "repeat this repetitive movement 20 times" stuff. Nope. His looked like play. It was play.

Which just goes to show play is the best medicine! :yes!: I knew it. So I did lots of playing: down on the floor (I can get up, it just isn't pretty), snuggled and reading, going to the playground for climbing and slides. I did a little climbing on ladders and other things, but no slides. It was nothing to do with the knees. That slide was made for littler butts. But I felt like a million being able to play like that again.

So yes, my knees got a little sore (Lefty more than Righty) at the end of the day, but nothing much. One night after a really busy day, I felt a bit of tightness in the knees of my jeans, which means there was some swelling. But it went away overnight. And that was it. All other things --low toilets, low seating here and there, lots of walking and standing, and not elevating or icing-- were taken in stride. :egypdance:
Hope everyone is having a good run-up to the holidays! :santa sleigh:

Oops! Forgot pictures. :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 293
  • FullSizeRender.JPG
    FullSizeRender.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 323
Your trip sounds like it was just what the doctor ordered! Great job, Lefty and Righty! Your insights about play being the best "medicine" for our knees is resonating with me, too.

Great pictures! I’ve been to Chagrin Falls and to that ice cream place. Yes, a cute, quaint town it is. I love all the metro parks in that area! It’s one of the things I miss from when we lived in that area.

what a little doll your grandson is. he must have been so thrilled to have grandma and grandpa shoes to play with him. glad everything turned out well on your trip. you're looking terrific.:kittychris:

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome back. :) I’m feeling downright seasonal. That could be due to all the packages I found on my front porch yesterday and today. I am discovering that grandchildren are expensive.

Today was one of those days when having new knees just hit me in a good way. I had a doctor appointment (to see if I could banish my lingering bronchitis) and so drove to the hospital. I parked in the free lot (yay!) and that meant a goodly walk to the doctor’s office, including a couple flights of stairs to just get into the hospital, then walk through it to her office. Anyway, I realized I was just walking along quickly, a good pace, very naturally... and no pain. None. I felt NOTHING other than that I was walking. And I felt nothing as I walked up the steps, not holding the handrail, just going up the middle of the steps, as naturally as can be. It was the same on the walk back from the office to my car. Down the stairs without holding the handrail. Walking quickly because it was frosty breath cold and I wanted to get into my car and out of the wind.

Yes, my knees were both a little bit sore after my long driving trip last week. They’ve recovered completely, though. They did so over the weekend. Now the only thing I feel, some of the time, is a little tightness along the incision itself. I massage it with that cocoa butter cream I still have some of. That takes care of it.

Anyway, for everyone wondering if recovery ever gets to a good place... it does. The knees become natural and silent, and happy. :loveshwr:

Go Susie Go!! That is remarkable much like yourself! Sorry to hear you are sick, hope you are feeling better now or soon. [emoji16]

My doorbell is getting quite the work put too lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As usual, another star-recovery report! I would love to hug that cute grandson of yours. What a blessing he is!

What a great report and a cute grandson too. You look wonderful in the picture. I hope you are able to kick this bronchitis crud before Christmas gets here, I have it too, it's some nasty stuff!

Seven Months: Holiday Cheers

At this time last year, I had made the decision to have my knees replaced and made an appointment with my first choice of surgeons (for February). The holiday was happy enough but I was severely crippled with arthritis, so things like seeing Mannheim Steamroller in Hershey, PA meant lots of pain when walking to the restaurant and then to the venue. The bathroom for the beautiful old theater was in the basement down long, though lovely, stairs. I told people to pass me on the stairs, up and down, I was that slow. Still, I had dressed myself up with red boots and holiday garb and had a good time.

This year everything is different. Mr. Shoes and I are driving to Harrisburg this weekend for a concert and I'm not afraid of how far from the venue we will have to park. I'm baking cookies and putting up outdoor decorations. I no longer have to wrap presents while sitting on a chair at the table. I can squat down to put them under the tree. I'm pretty sure I can shovel snow --Wisconsin girls are practically born holding snow shovels-- but Mr. Shoes is terrified I will fall and damage my new knees. So far I have agreed to stay in the house while he shovels. In the last snowfall, however, I did put on my excellent snow boots and, while Mr. Shoes watched in horror, walked up and down the sidewalk.
The day will come when someone is at work and I will get my chance to tackle the driveway. :snow dig:

My knees don't hurt except once in while if I sleep in a way one or the other of them doesn't like. Minor pain/stiffness appears but is relieved immediately by straightening the leg, or just moving it, and there is no pain or stiffness on getting onto my feet. I can bend both knees quite a lot and Mr. Shoes helped me measure my flexion at 130. I'm not sure if that's completely accurate, but it hardly matters at this point. They bend a lot and are completely straight. I can walk and swim and stand and bike, and that's all good.

This year I have added my surgeon to my gift list. :gifts: This morning I got emotional while writing a note to go with the gift. I have so much to thank him for --his superb work, his decision to give me bilateral implants, and his patience with answering my thousand questions before and after surgery. He should know how grateful I am for getting my life back. What he has done for me is truly life-changing. Most people who go into medicine do so because they want to help. I'm letting him know he helped me. :santaclap:

And to all the people here on BoneSmart who have helped me since I signed on over a year ago, thank you!

:reindeerlights:

I can relate to your joy this Christmas! I was 6 months out last year and not healed so had to be very careful with what I did. This year knee is doing great! What a difference! I love my new knee!

You give me hope and something to strive for, and its not shoveling snow! I am imagining myself squatting down - I am three months out this week and not there yet. But I noticed I can walk better this week, and you have encouraged me so much by your posts relating all the walking you did in your recovery. Thanks so much for all of it Susie, and keep the posts coming, please. :)

Start with a light snow and see how it goes. My first winter I did ok with the shovel and :snow plough: but heavy snows felt a bit strenuous for the knee.
I became a lot less fearful of falling because my knee was stable and not so unreliable. But I still "walk like a penguin" in the winter. :heehee:

If I'm not under time pressure--late for work-- or if it's not a huge snow, I sometimes find shoveling sort of contemplative in a weird way. :snows:

I shoveled last winter when my knee was only 6-8 months old. I did fine. But, I did it in little bursts. I shovel for about 30 minutes, then rest for at least that much or more. It took longer to do it, but it got done without my knee screaming at me afterwards!

It snowed last night! Mr. Shoes forbade me to help him shovel this morning before he went to work, but... he did not shovel the little sidewalk around the side of the house. :heehee: So I did that. Two inches. All it needed was a bit of pushing with the shovel. But I am happy to say I did it. :curtsey: My Wisconsin snow-guilt (shovel now or regret later) is satisfied.

I totally agree that shoveling out from a blizzard Nor'easter is beyond me at this point. My knees still complain at carrying heavy grocery bags up the front steps (all two of them). So heavy shovelfuls would be ill-advised. :no-fin:

Snow! We had a little of that here, just enough to be pretty. It was vone the next day.

:merry christmas:

I went to PT today, she's gentle, and there was a skiff, ~0.1", of snow on the side walk. I have to say that it did give me pause. :old:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom