Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

I am with you all with regards to the swelling and stiffness. I am OVER It already! Tedium has set in.
I wonder at what point we no longer have to think about icing and elevating every day?
I am working really hard on getting back to normal but is this a part of the new normal for the foreseeable future?
Thank goodness someone on BS provides inspiration for me every day!
 
We're pretty much knee twins, so must be in the same place.The knees don't hurt. Yay! But the stiffness is omnipresent. And yet... today I went grocery shopping and my knees didn't feel stiff at all. Only when I first got up this morning. When I get out of the car, just a little. But when walking, no stiffness at all. So I foresee a day, maybe soon, when the stiffness has faded away and we wake up one morning and realize that, hey, it's gone. And it will stay gone.
 
karrib, susishoes, and canada35 - I could not agree with each of you more. I am often asked why I am still icing or why I am still elevating - not to worry, I do it anyway. Whenever I am not diligent or life gets in the way, I always feel better after elevating and icing.

Some days, I start walking and feel, "wow, these lads are ready to go, today." Other days? LOL , not so much.

Ahhhh, the journey.........
 
Hah, what a bunch of *stiffs*! Self included, of course. But...not so much lately; puzzling but true. I seemed to have kicked the morning stiffness to the curb, but like clockwork, it will come back to bite me if I've walked just 5 minutes extra or done anything at all a tad over the mysterious, ever moving line. As such, of course, I feel it most at night, but it's nothing a good icing/elevation session can't cure; phew! Sometimes, in fact often, I'll feel the onset of swelling, almost like a water balloon filling up, but don't necessarily experience the stiffness; weird, eh? I'm not even going to pretend to understand this because it defies all logic. Other times, I'll feel stiff, but not have that swelling, water balloon sensation. This whole recovery is just bizarre and I decided a long while back, it's our role to just *go with the flow* of oddball sensations. One day, they'll be gone, like dust in the wind.:SUNsmile:

At my visit to the surgeon's office yesterday, though the PA pronounced me to be on a "Fast-Track" to recovery (yes, I'm still laughing about that and very skeptical) he did emphatically state that the swelling will most likely remain a factor until at least 6 months, possibly up to 9 months, and this is, are you ready? *Normal.* So, there it is, we're all normal, lol, no matter who disputes such.:happydance:
 
..........lol.........new definitions or "normal" and "fast track".........
.....and, more to be thankful for............
.....as, I wash bedding and remove air conditioners today.....

For sure, I shall be King of Elevation and Icing later this afternoon..... :ice:
 
I just helped Mistah remove our now defunct, rather heavy trash-masher, from the kitchen to the back deck despite my weirdo pins and needles sensations today. I will be The *Queen of Ice and Elevation," for the remainder of the day. :ice: Now, there's this hole in the kitchen cabinetry which will make me crazy if I look at it, so I shall avert my gaze. Obviously, $$$ are needed to replace, $$ I don't wish to spend on a house that will be sold within a year, but...c'est la vie. Pffft!
 
Four Months: Lefty the Magnificent

Lefty's been lagging, but something odd happened this past week, and I'm not quite sure what or how, but Lefty came into his own. A few days ago, I woke up and stretched and kind of planted my left foot so I could leverage myself to roll over in bed. It was a perfectly ordinary movement, but Lefty bent a little (as knees will do) and I felt this sharp ripping pain. It happened, of course, in Lefty's troublesome "spot" that never quite went away.

My first thought was "Oh :censored:!" The last thing any TKR needs is to have inadvertently injured a healing knee.

But no. I placed left leg carefully flat on the bed, and... hardly any pain at all. I massaged the knee a bit, rubbing at the sore spot, which felt no different from before. But as I swung my legs out of bed, I noticed something new: Lefty bent BETTER than Righty. Easily. Righty bends very well, so that was a surprise. And I had no pain, none at all, when I stood and walked, just the usual stiffness, but even that felt less than before.

I don't know what happened inside Lefty. Tore loose an adhesion, maybe? Finally stretched out a stubborn muscle? I'll never know. But since then Lefty has been one happy camper of a knee. Both knees surrender their stiffness within three steps after rising from a chair or bed, or getting out of a car. And once that stiffness abates... they feel almost completely natural. Walking feels easy and carefree. I walk up and down steps and curbs without a second thought. Also, this is the week going up stairs became easy, and going down stairs is even easier. [I don't know why, but going down, rather than up, stairs has been easier for me from the beginning. Might have something to do with Lefty's pre-surgical deformity that made going upstairs nigh impossible but still functional going down. Whatever... I take whatever the gods of knee replacements will give me!]

I knelt on Lefty this morning. He didn't like it much and grumbled his displeasure - but I can tell he's going to be up to it in the future. Righty kneels without much complaint, just feels quite strange, but not painful. We'll get there.

So far, four months is proving a very interesting phase of recovery indeed. It's still in consolidation, all the little ups and downs of topping off the healing going on beneath the skin and all around the new joint. It's working, because there are lots of times now I forget my knees are anything but original issue. I bound off the sofa to go get something I want. I playfully swing a leg onto Mr. Shoes lap. I cross my legs. I climb stepladders. I roll over in bed (Lefty can do this without pain now). I haven't tried jogging yet. So far I only have two gears: walking, and faster walking. That's right, I zip around the grocery store.

Go, Lefty, go! :upright:
 
Last edited:
Susie, great update! I'm glad lefty is stepping it up. Years ago my dad's OS told him he didn't give him a running, jogging, jumping knee. He gave him a walking knee, so my dad walks...a lot!
 
Way to go SusieShoes! Pretty soon we will have to change your name to GoodySusieTwoShoes!
An inspiration as always! I pray for that day that my knee just decides it will bend like everyone else's!
Time will tell!
 
Just goes to show that not all pain means something bad has happened. This is the kind of thing that occurs when we forget to "guard" a laggard knee. I forgot I ought not move Lefty that way, because it might hurt. Lefty had been not hurting for a few days, which led me to take him for granted. There was someone else on BS recently who had a knee make a ripping pain/sound while getting out of or into a car, I think. I remembered her story when Lefty did his thing and I didn't feel any after effects except the better bending.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom