Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

I would totally use those names! :rofsign:

Just having the one recovery was the big selling point of bilateral replacements for this gal. Both knees were shot. Both knees needed replacement. Just one surgery, just one recovery... I was in! And now that I've done it, and am forging through this recovery, I'm really happy I don't have to do any of it again. (Looking for wood so I can knock on it.)
 
Hi Susie shoes, I just came looking for you. I'm used to seeing you on often and have missed you. I hope all is well!:roseshwr:
 
Susie is spending time with her family now. She'll be back soon.

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
 
Four Months: Marathon Days

Yes, it's true. I was juggling several things for the past several days, including a visit from one globe-trotting son, celebrating the birthday of another, hosting Family Saturday AND the 17th Annual League of Champions Fantasy Football Live Draft. Twelve fantasy team owners in house, trays of chicken wings, and lots of fun and games. And that was just Friday and Saturday.

Sunday was more relaxed and I enjoyed quality time with my youngest son. He's had knee surgery himself, a replaced ACL a few years ago, that involved a long recovery and PT, so we had lots of knee stories to share. He runs marathons and triathlons now. I can walk three miles at a crack and up and down a few flights of stairs. We're both doing good.

He went home today. After taking him to the airport, I went with Mr. Shoes and my SIL on a tour of a possible nursing home for FIL (a lot of walking around) and then we did some much needed shopping (more walking around) and some chores. On top of my 2 mile morning walk, that came out to just over 10,000 steps on my meter. First time ever!--at least since I've measured steps. Certainly since my BTKR.

So now my crazy week is over, my sons are safely back home, all of us have new fantasy football teams, and things will settle down again.

At four months after my knee replacements:

* I sleep all night on my side, with only occasional knee complaints
* Both knees are slightly stiff upon waking, or getting up after long inactivity
* Both knees are pain free when walking
* My left knee occasionally clicks when walking, but mostly doesn't
* I can go up stairs slowly but easily
* I go down stairs more easily, almost normally
* Very high steps are awkward but doable
* Have no trouble at all with most curbs and steps
* I can ride a bicycle
* I ice twice a day, but if I forget I don't really suffer
* I sit at my desk for up to three hours without a problem (haven't tried to do longer) before I get up to walk around or take a break
* I take only Tylenol for knee stiffness, and often not even that

Three months was good. Four is even better!
 
@SusieShoes, I'm glad to hear you were MIA only due to fun things; phew! What a busy, crazy couple of days you had and....THE KNEES ROCKED IT! :happydance:
 
Awesome weekend and four month report. I wish mine was as positive but I am celebrating my small victories!
Good for you Susie! You are on your way to normal life!
 
Susie, I too have a family fantasy league. Not sure how my team will do this year since I drafted under the influence. Every day, as I experience new mini-battles, I am in awe of those who had bilaterals. You are super heroes in my book.
 
One of the great things about talking with #3 son this weekend was hearing firsthand about his knee experience. Unlike his older, overweight mother, he's a runner and biker and swimmer (and a yoga instructor), so in excellent physical condition. He also lives in Atlanta and so I didn't see much of his ACL surgery and recovery, because he didn't really talk a lot about it. What interested me most was him remembering his frustration over how LONG :tantrum2: it took him to recover full knee function.

He thought, being an athlete, he would heal faster, but he didn't. His surgeon told him it would be a year to eighteen months for him to regain full function. And that was how long it took.

Oh, and the nursing home visit showed me something: I no longer have to sit down every ten minutes on my feet! I can walk across parking lots, stand and listen to someone for several minutes without feeling the need to sit, tour entire floors of a large facility with ease. Doing so made obvious how awesome my new knees are. They work perfectly. I still want to (but don't have to) sit after standing in one place for a half hour or so, but I can walk for long periods. No pain. Not even much stiffness. My knees are just a bit stiffer this morning, though, after all yesterday's activities, but we walked and they're behaving well.

Last year, I was on the terminal end of losing the ability to stand and walk. And now I'm at the beginning of getting those abilities back. :loveshwr:
 
You are doing amazing! I am envious! I'm glad you had fun family time and your knees behaved nicely!
 
I hope you find a good and caring facility for your FIL. As a family you can feel secure in his daily care and your visits can be pleasant and relaxed.
 
I no longer have to sit down every ten minutes on my feet! I can walk across parking lots, stand and listen to someone for several minutes without feeling the need to sit

I can't wait!!! It's been several years since I've been able to do this and I know I need to endure another TKR in order to have it all, but I can't wait. This is wonderful for you!
:egypdance:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom