Hip Infection Surviving THR Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point a little gait training in PT might be of benefit to you. Wait and see how you feel in a week or so. You can do it on your own, of course, like the surgeon says but some guidance can make things work a little easier. Even your GP can prescribe some therapy sessions if you feel it would be beneficial.
 
Great news! The UTI explains the labs. Enjoy your family, but I'm not ready to think about school yet!
 
@Sullivand such wonderful news! You have a lift of joy in your writing! I am sure once you get back to school outside PT will not be needed. You will have enough at school. I went to water class today and am quite sore tonight. I must have overdid it. Congratulations!
 
Thank you @Jamie for your suggestion regarding gait training. I find that after I get moving while walking with the cane~ I can stop using it. But as soon as I stop~ I need the cane to start moving again. It seems to be some sort of momentum and pain related thing. It's the same getting up from a sitting position and walking~ I need the cane to start walking. Does that make sense? It might be good to have PT look at my movement and get advice. One of my daughters best friends just received her doctorate in PT last month and took her boards today~ now that she is not studying I may go and pay her a visit! :curtsey:
 
Well dear hippies my daughters have all gone back to their grown up lives and our home is so quiet! We had a hilarious night last night as I asked them to go through a closet to sort and get rid of stuff that they have accumulated through the years. We got through photo albums, jewelry from old boyfriends, sorority mementos, high school junk and best of all old prom dresses! With three daughters there were many memories and the dresses were topics of much laughter! How fast the styles change and frankly the cost of those dresses can make me crazy now! Although it was a joyful night filled with blessings ~ the whole time I am leaning on my dumb cane and trying to manage the cleaning up with some type of organizing~ it made me exhausted and a nagging wondering how I will manage the organizing of my classroom! :thud:
The classroom has been painted and everything was moved to the hallway and who knows where and if all of my teaching stuff is even there?! But then I realize it is one project at a time at my own pace so I can do it~:doh: that is why I will start on Monday for a couple of hours each day next week. :spin:
 
I'm so with you on full happy house. One of first things we bought for this house was an eight seated dining table, and it has seated many more. I look at it and memories flow out from it.
Good luck re work two hours of considered activity.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Sullivand -I retired from teaching elementary school at 55 in 2001 so I know what you have ahead of you trying to organize a classroom that has been moved. :scare::scary::yikes:
When my daughter was young (12-13) I would get her and her girlfriend in to help (turned her off teaching haha but motivated her friend) and that helped. Maybe you could recruit some pre-teens or teens to help with the physical stuff and I know there will be lots of it. People have no idea how much work is involved in setting ups classroom. Get help as you will need to be rested for that first week back with kids.
I am SO glad I don't have to work anymore.:SUNsmile::happydance:
 
Won't your maintenance people at least put the room together? Ours empty the rooms every summer, wax, clean etc. then put it all back. Sometimes I have hard time finding things and yes, it still takes an unbelievable long time to prep a classroom for a school year. Wish I lived closer, I'd come in to help you. But perhaps some former students would want to help or colleague's children? I'm putting off going in until we have a rainy day.
 
@ KarriB and @Granny Di
Your suggestions and empathy are priceless! Thank you! We have one maintenance person and he is in quite high demand. I am hoping that I can make an "appointment" with him for just an hour and that will be helpful! Our cleaning crew has minimal skills and I will be happy just to have my "stuff" in my room! I used to do the same thing, Granny Di! I had teens in the room earning volunteer hours! I loved it. I just need to find a good contact to get some helpers this year as my supply have all gone off to college! KarriB I love your idea of putting off until a rainy day~ I feel the need to get in there sooner since I have not been in the room since December! I will keep you posted!
Thank you @Leggin for wishing me luck! I will need it for sure!
I can tell my girlfriends are whispering that they cant believe I am going back to school and how will do it?! Well motivation can move you for sure and I am SICK of thinking about my health by worrying about every little move, twinge and detail. I think I can still stay aware of my health and be busy doing what I love too.
Yes, @Liznwiz the students can definitely step up and take care of us like we take care of them. I am putting it God's hands!
 
You are right about digging into school work to take your mind off your hip. I think that's why I wanted to go back so early (just a month after the seeping stopped). I needed a purpose and a reason to get up and get moving. I'm praying for you!

We have several maintenance people in the summer, but just one lovely gentleman during the school year. He is wonderful to me! Put my handicap space up, salted the ramp to my classroom all through our horrible winter then when we had a carnival day last spring and wasn't allowed to park in our regular spots he found my car keys, moved my car to just outside my classroom because he "didn't see any reason you should have to walk a mile with all your school things". I'm blessed!
 
I .......... I am SICK of thinking about my health by worrying about every little move, twinge and detail. I think I can still stay aware of my health and be busy doing what I love too.
Hi @Sullivand I just loose track of you for a few days and look what happens! You are so positively planning your return to work. I remember the sentiment quoted above. After my hip at maybe 3-4 months I remember thinking "I am more than just my hip" I think this is a very clear sign of you being really ready to move on.

I think it is amazing to think how in the midst of your worse time, you said that your daughters thought they were going to loose you. Look at you now going back to work.

Your example reminds me to relate that to my self. For the past few weeks I have been nothing but my hip and my foot - of necessity. But you have reminded me that when the time is right we move on. Roll on that day!

(((Hugs to you))) from across the ocean.
 
@KarriB
I wish you could come and help me too! But you actually did help! After reading about your maintance man~ I emailed school and asked if he could spare some time next week to help me and it is approved! I am so grateful and he is such a sweet man. I can tick off one worry! Yay! Thank you for your support! :roseshwr:
@copsham I am so amazed at your positive support and I appreciate it beyond words. I can tell that you understand the severity of my situation back in December while doctors were trying to figure out what was wrong and that you are able to recognize how far I have come! It is so compassionate of you especially while you are dealing with your own setback. You will soon begin to be more than your hip and foot too! Keep healing dear friend and I appreciate your hugs across the ocean~ I return the hugs! :console2:
 
It takes a while sometimes, but it is better to ask for help or let others help. I have little valances for the windows in my classroom, but remove them every spring to wash/iron. Last summer I was looking for a ladder to hang the valances, a K teacher saw me with the ladder and said, "oh no you don't!" She hung all the valances for me! People are so kind and I've learned to allow those kindnesses. My TKR/infection was a true learning experience.
 
Hi Sullivand, fantastic that you have got through this nightmare of a complication, I too have had the infection that required complete removal of all components and I know the surgery is horrible and distressing. I still have the spacer in which has now been 3 years, mine was cemented lightly to try and make it last, being 27 there isnt much bone to play with for the revision so the surgeon is postponing the surgey to but the fresh hip in. All i can say is that the fatigue you are suffering from will go eventually, the body has been through a massive trauma and also the anaestetic stays in the system for a while.
hope you are feeling beeter soon, keep fighting because it all does come good eventually.

sending healing thoughts.

Jak
 
@Sullivand I am so pleased to read that you will soon be returning to work, this will be a massive step to reality. You are an inspiration to all hippies out there who have not had straightforward procedures and problems to overcome. Stay strong and continue to give yourself enough time to rehabilitate back to your former self. Wishing you luck and sending hugs x :flwrysmile::console2:
 
@jakhodge88
Thank you for your post! I have also responded in your thread ~ how amazing you have lived w the spacer for 3 years! Mine was a bit wobbly~ my leg would turn and the spacer would delay in the turn~ I can see how that might dislocate in your sleep. :holysheep:I get a bit nervous that this infection came before any surgery and was the reason for the hip replacement in the first place~and hope it doesn't reoccur since we don't know what the source was~ :shrug:
I appreciate your insight to the fatigue and response to anesthesia. We just expect to pop right back to normalcy. Don't we?! You are an amazing person and I have added you to my prayers.
 
@hayleybell63
Thank you for your encouragement! I will stay strong and rest~ a fine line to walk for sure! I will keep posting and checking in to see how everyone is doing. Maybe not as often once school starts but enough to catch up on everyone's progress! :console2:
@KarriB yes~ so true that this journey is life changing! I have learned asking for help seals friendships even more than giving help. I need to remember that in my work place too! I love your curtain story! Fire code won't let us put them up any more~ silly rules! :hairpulling:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom