Guest viewing is limited

THR Surgery went well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joanne & all!! :flwrysmile:

I was on the 7th floor. I also looked for you. I'm glad everything went well. I got home on Wednesday. I had PT and the nurse hear on Thursday. I fell better when I get up and move around. So stiff otherwise. Trying to stay on my meds - they have me on Tramadol every 6 hours and roxi every 3. I've been holding off on the roxi though. Getting up every hour to move around.

I'm so relieved that this part is behind me!!!

Hope all who had their hips done this week are doing well. I wish you all a speedy recovery.

Mary Jean
 
@mjmrphry55
Hi Mary Jean
Did you had your surgery at HSS? İf yes, who was your OS?
 
My surgeon was Michael Alexiades..I think he's the only one doing anterior at HSS. You can see a video of him on thedoctorstv.com - search alexiades or hip and my procedure comes up. I found this after I had scheduled my surgery!!!
 
Good luck with your recovery
All the best
Selin
 
Glad to hear your surgery is done. Hope you feel better every day and enjoy your pain free hip!
 
Hi Murphy

You appear to be doing just fine, remember ice and enjoy the rest before trying to get out into the big world.
Take care Murphy

Billy
 
Hi all,

Haven't been on in awhile. I am doing well. I have been on a cane for a week - often not using it around the kitchen and bathroom. I had a minor set back last week. I took a mistep during PT and strained my groin. This kept me on my walker a few extra days while I nursed it. I also had a little issue with the dreaded constipation so I continue to take my "softener" faithfully!!

Icing has been my best friend. When I over do it I sit and ice and that always seems to relieve the pain. I stopped taking my pain med (roxycotin) within days of coming home and continued taking Tramadol occasionally. Two weeks out I have just been taking Extra strength Tylenol if needed.

I got out for the first time last Friday with my PT walking up and down the block. I went for an hour ride on Sunday (two weeks post op). It was my mother-in-law's 93rd birthday so I wanted to celebrate!!! It was great to get out. I also did a 4 hour round trip college visit with my son on Wednesday. It was tough to do the entire tour on foot so they got me a wheelchair for my son to push me around!!! I have been working from home on my PC and hope to go back to work part-time next week at 3 weeks post-op.

My incision is still mostly covered by those white strips. I can peak in and see the incision - looks ok I think (no draining). They had taken the bandage off the day I left the hospital. I am going up and down stairs with no problem now. It was slow going the first week. I had to have my hubby walk with me!

Overall I am please with my progress. My only concern is that my OS had to lengthen my leg slightly to even things out. I did have a pronounced limp prior to my surgery. I am concerned that my right leg is actually too long - ugh. My pt said that I would have to wait until all my swelling is gone to really guage if it is longer. My first appointment with my OS is at 4-6 weeks - so sometime in mid-March. I will ask him then.

My home PT is done - I had 5 visits the past two weeks and one from the nurse. I am waiting to see if my OS wants me to continue with additional PT outside my home.

I hope all the February Hippies are doing well. Talk to you all soon!
 
MJM, it does seem like the LLD evens out within a few months for most people, so don't worry about that one unless it turns out that you have to. You're doing great!

Sharon
 
MJ - Sharon is right on - please don't worry about any LLD for now. It is very normal to feel like things aren't quite right. Wait 3-4 months and see if there is a difference. You had a limp pre-op. Now you are carrying your weight totally different. Things will settle.
 
Hi Mj!
I saw that you were from NJ and I am too...and we had our surgery on the same day! I also had the anterior approach and luckily had no restrictions. I seem to be in about the same place as you with recovery.I am going to outside PT and it has helped alot. My inhome PT was not as good..and I had no occupational therapy to show me how to get dressed, put on socks..etc. I love my outpatient therapist because he pushes me. I am a bit sore at night afterwards but I am taking the weakest pain meds they gave me and they seem to work. I'm glad I found you on here..its nice to know I'm up to par with my recovery. Good luck on your journey..
 
Hi Acbelmar,

It's is great too find you as well. I have tried to be in touch with those who had their surgery around my date. It's helpful to know where I am in my recovery compared to others. It's especially reassuring to know I am moving along. Have you driven yet? I am dying to drive (just to know I can if I needed to). I have a call into my surgeon for a few follow-up questions like this.

Did you have your surgery in NJ? If so was it hard to find a OS who did the anterior approach?

Good luck on your journey as well.

MJ
 
Hi MJ!
Thanks for writing back! I started driving on Friday. I just went to PT and back, but I've driven a couple of times since then. Since I had my left hip done its easier than if it was my right..I know that the Dr puts restrictions on RHR with driving. I live in Wall NJ and just happened to go to an Ortho group down the street from me. I had been limping since Sept but continued to work..finally the limping caused my SI joint to go out and that hurt BAD! Thats when I had the MRI and went to the ortho. He said I needed replacement and that he does anterior approach. I knew about it because my sister just had it done last year in Morristown..believe it or not she had no pain and took no pain meds after her surgery. I had high expectations from her experience ..not realistic! I liked him so I went with it. I know the HSS in NY is the best, but my friend from work had hers done there and believe it or not collapsed because the surgeon used the wrong device in her leg! Mistakes can happen anywhere I guess. I had mine done at Jersey Shore and was very satisfied..except for the food and the lack of sleep! This has been an experience and it shows you how strong you are. I've learned patience is important. My pain levels have definitely decreased but I still get tired easily and have achiness through my whole left leg. I was hoping to go back to work in the middle of March, but realistically that's not happening. My job entails lifting and pushing a heavy cart, not to mention turbulance which is my biggest fear! Just what I need..being thrown to the ceiling and bouncing back on the floor! YIKES!!!
Keep me updated on your progress..if you want to compare our progress just ask! I feel I'm ahead of the game but still need to take it slow at times. Have a great day! :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Surgery went well
And to say Acbelmar that your recovery is coming along very nicely. You've got a positive attitude about the process and recognize that patience is needed. And your decision about work shows your maturity and acceptance of what's needed to be really recovered. In other words----YOU'RE DOING GRRRRRREAT!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Surgery went well
 
acbelmar,

Jersey Shore is a great hospital. I hadn't planned on going to HSS. I was going with a surgeon up north Jersey who operates out of Hackensack Hospital. A friend of mine who works for a pharmaceutical company put a request out for me to their many doctors asking for a referrel for me at HSS. He came back with 2 doctors and I went with the one who did the anterior approach.

Everything just came together. I friend who had had the same doctor and surgery told me to expect ot wait 5 weeks for an appointment and 5 months for a surgery date - ugh. I was able to get a cancellation for my appointment on a Thursday His nurse told me he was scheduling in June. I asked to keep me in mind for a cancellation and that following Monday I got the surgery date for the next Monday. I was meant to have it done then --- certainly it wasn't me pushing this along (since I am a baby). :angel:

Hope you continue to do well
 
Hi all,

I felt like I had a great day and wanted to share. Took my dog for a walk. I brought the cane with me but didn't have to use it. I walked for about 15-20 minutes (which is long for me!)

I also drove for the first time. I had been wanting to for the last week. That went great and I was happy to take that next step.

The next step for me is outpatient PT next week. I will keep you all posted.

Thank you all for your continued support and well wishes.

MJ
 
Fantastic MJ you are doing very well. Isn't it great when we see improvements each day. I am pleased for you and look forward to your next update:)
 
Yeah! I'm glad you got to drive. I might try that this weekend. Hope your PT goes great.
Gretchen
 
Pt today will let you all know how it goes. Back to work - 6 hours yesterday. Can't believe 4 weeks have passed since my surgery!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom