Guest viewing is limited

Surgery on Feb 14! Terrified

I have to be there Wednesday at 5am and my surgery is supposed to start at 6:30am.
Wow - aren't you the lucky one. You don't have to wait around all day and will be tucking into a nice lunch soon after you leave recovery.

All the best tomorrow!
 
A plethora of information, advice, comfort, and cheers waiting for you on the Healing Side!
We will be cheering for you.
First days can be a struggle, then all uphill.
Payoff is :yay:HUGE.
Yay for getting this done.
 
Try not to worry too much, I am pretty lucky I didn`t have time to think about the operation, I fell off my push bike after slipping on the ice returning from work. broke the neck of my femur near the hip joint. Initially was in terrible pain. surgeon decided to give a full left hip replacement as this appeared to be the best way to get back into my active lifestyle. I lay in a hospital bed on morphine for 3 days with my broken femur until there was a space for me on the operating list. { people kept arriving in hospital that were in a more serious condition than me and needed surgery} I didn`t mind as i was in cuckoo land with my morphine. I eventually had my operation on 22nd of January. It is now 13th of February, I was in hospital a total of 6 days 3 days waiting for an operating space and 3 days post op. I was asked to stand up and walk 3 hours after op with walking frame. the next day I was given crutches, on my second day i was shown by the physios how to walk up and down stairs. this i achieved on the morning before they allowed me home which was 3 days after op. When I left the hospital they gave me a supply of Paracetamol, Codeine and a bottle of liquid morphine.

It is now day 21 post op. I can walk unaided for 100 metres and walk a mile with the aid of one crutch or a walking stick. I have not had to use any pain relief for the last 7 days and hope for a gradual return to work after another 3 weeks. So what i am trying to tell you Nettie is not to be afraid, yes you will feel nervous and in some discomfort after your op. but you will soon be smiling and back to full health. good luck Bairn.
 
In@Nettie1975 what a great valentine's present to yourself!! We were all petrified of the surgery but seriously you will be fine! This will be life changing for you so bring it on! You may not be in excruciating pain but you are in pain and this will just get worse and worse!! Listen to everybody's advice on here, nobody has a bad word to say about the operation or recovery but they all hated OA pain. The op is fine, the nurses are all lovely to you and the spinal goes in and you don't feel a thing. I was having a laugh with them all! You get wheeled in and the next thing you know you're in recovery, just like that! Then you get fussed over by family and you get to watch all the TV you want and no housework!!! It's a bit of a holiday really so bring it on and we will all be thinking of you and wishing you well and looking forward to your post op stories of how easy it was!
:wave:
 
Good luck tomorrow @Nettie1975. Soon the understandable fears will be in the past and recovery begins.
 
Thinking about you @Nettie1975 tomorrow around this time you'll be out of surgery and all that worrying will be over. It will be such a relief. Then the recovery begins--that you can handle! You'll be joining an elite group of hipsters your new life begins. Very exciting! I remember crying just before my surgery over losing a part of my body. I have to tell you that from this new perspective I'm glad it's gone. It served its purpose and a 90 yr old hip does not belong in a 44 yr old body--or a 42yr old body in your case. This new one is much better--it actually moves :dancy:. Looking forward to hearing from you on the recovery side and we're around if you need us (one of the nicest parts of recovery is that you'll have time to relax and actually catch up and those things that were hard to fit in a busy schedule--for me, it's trying to organize the 10,000 digital photos on my computer. Want to bet there are duplicates. lol. Stay calm, you've got this!
 
Are you feeling a LITTLE better today knowing you have so many standing PAIN FREE right with you?
 
You're almost there and the worst will be over! I felt the pre-op anxiety
was worse than recovery. Tomorrow will move really quickly and you'll soon
be joining us on the bright side of the road.
I'm excited for you.....you're going to do great!
Sending love and a big warm hug your way! :loveshwr: :friends:
@Nettie1975
 
You're going to be fine.
All the best for tomorrow:angel:
 
Happy Valentines Day! :loveshwr: You're getting a new hip....you're going to do great!
See you on the recovery side.
Prayers for comfort and peace!
@Nettie1975
 
@Nettie1975 Today will be filled with activities, and when you finally catch your breath..... check in with us! Ask questions or compare experiences. We are here for you. Sometime soon that bum hip will be history. :loveshwr:
 
:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr: Love is taking care of yourself....bye bye hip pain.
Thinking of you today...:curtsey:
 
Sending love as you move into recovery. :loveshwr:
We're here, post when you're able.
Hope you're resting comfortably.
@Nettie1975
 
@Netties1975 how are you feeling? Pain? Icing? It’s your day! Happy valentine/hip day.
 
So happy for you! Really looking forward to reading about how you're doing.. especially since you've been through a c-section before. Super curious how you compare the recovery/pain to that of a THR. Rest up, and congrats on the beginning of your new lease on life!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom