BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Surgery on Feb 14! Terrified

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Nettie1975, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Nettie1975

Nettie1975 new member

Hi everyone. I’m 42 years old and about to have my first THR on my left side. I have suffered with this horrible pain for so many years and have zero range of motion. I am extremely overwhelmed with fear. I have had surgeries before like c-sections and an appendectomy but for some reason I am having major fear about this. I’m so anxious and scared I’m dreading the hours going by! So terrified about the spinal! Don’t want to feel that pain and terrified about hearing or seeing any part of my procedure! Worried about the pain upon waking!!

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Nettie1975 Welcome to BoneSmart! We were all in the same scared space when we got the diagnosis. It seems totally overwhelming I know. But if you have had c-sections and an appendectomy - you are already a pro!
    I was more worried about the spinal than the op before my first THR. It's a non-event. Just tell the anaesthetist you don't want to see or hear anything during the procedure. They will put you into a nice, comfy sleep and watch you through the whole procedure.
    Having a spinal means the first few hours post op are totally pain free. But they will administer pain meds via IV at first and then taper off to the medication you will go home with. Your priority is to work with staff to get your pain management cocktail just right. Let staff know if you need more pain relief. Everyone is different.

Have a read in our Hip Recovery area. Lots of happy new hippies who are now wondering why they waited so long to have their THR.

Can you tell me your surgery date? I'll pop it into your signature for you.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Nettie1975

Nettie1975 new member

Thank you so much!! My surgery is this Wednesday, Feb. 14,2018

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

A Valentines Day THR - great stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  5. MammaT

MammaT supremo

United States United States
    Welcome @Nettie1975. I had general with both of mine and it scared me! I was given a block presurgery and immediate post surgical pain was surprisingly minimal. Jaycey is right, they have some different cocktails they can use. We just have to be honest about our pain and how well it is being controlled. Different combinations work for different people. It really isn’t one size fits all.

Best of luck as you prepare.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

It's perfectly common for people to range between uncertainty and outright panic. This is a big deal and you will be handing yourself over into the care of total strangers that you will probably not even set eyes on and letting them do things you have no idea about and that is scary. Only crumb of comfort I can offer is that these strangers do this several times a day, every day of the week. Or to put it another way, for you this is a big, unknown and scary deal, for them it's just another day at the office. But you can trust them.

I used to be one of those unseen and unknown people in the OR and I took care of every individual that came into my care just as much as if they had been my own mother or father. They will too because they are professionals and know their job. So the only thing you really have to fear is the unknown and that we can help you with. Read around here and be educated. It will help you greatly.

Here's some articles to help you
    How do I know I will be safe during the operation?
    Pre-op interviews - what's involved?
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries
    Hips that have lasted 32, 40, 41 and 45 years
    67½ year old - the THRs, not the patient!

You can also help yourself by focussing on preparation
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.
    Recovery: dealing with your recovery time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I was pretty scared too...I think I used the phrase mortified.
    I was also so so weary of chronic pain and distraught at having to live so restricted by my hips.
    In short, life was no fun at all anymore.
    My surgery has given me back my life...try to temper your fear with a bit of excitement that you will soon be on the healing side and getting back to a happy hippy pain free life.
    Those that know here will be here to comfort you and cheer you on.
    Bonesmart was a tremendous tool for my recovery.
    You can do this!:yahoo:

• Like Like x 4
  8. Nettie1975

Nettie1975 new member

Thank you all so very much!!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:) You're allowed to be anxious...who wouldn't be?
    But I had both done, and I'm good to go. I can sleep all night, walk all day, and don't miss my old hips at all. Feels natural as my old ones.
    All I have is some battle scars.:egypdance:

• Like Like x 3
  10. newhip126

newhip126 member

@Nettie1975

I was so stunned I needed a new hip, I kind of went thru the motions of pre op, all the feelings and frights, the surgery. It finally hit me when I went to grocery store 1 week post op. I got stuck in the first aisle, exhausted, sweaty and in pain. That’s when I panicked. Going for my 2nd hip March 5 and feel so calm and ready. Totally know what to expect due to previous knowledge and this forum. Bonesmart has been a live saver. You’re in great hands here.

• Like Like x 5
  11. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    Hi @Nettie1975 and welcome. You're in the right place! Your surgery will be over and done before you know it and that's a good thing! I'm 44 and am 6 days post surgery RTHR. Like you I was down to no range of motion. I had osteoarthritis for yrs and the past 12 yrs were filled with pain. I've never even gotten to go biking with my almost 12 yr old. Well that's going to change this summer thanks to this operation. I'm crying just writing about how grateful I am for having done this. I was absolutely terrified too, but it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be in my mind. It's crazy what our minds do to us under stress. You can do this and you'll be so happy you did! I had the option of the spinal and went for the general. I think the spinal would have made those first few hours after surgery much more comfortable. We're here for you! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi there @Nettie1975
    I can relate. I was terrified too. None of the things I feared happened.
    Everything runs so smoothly from the time you walk in and time flies, truly it does.
    I'm sure the nurses will be very kind and attentive. They have a way of diffusing a lot of the anxiety you're feeling. They may even offer you some something early on if they sense your anxiety.

Everyone is nervous to one degree or another, after all this is major surgery.
    But just as our Nurse Director, Josephine mentioned it will be just another Wednesday at the office
    for your OS and his team. They'll be doing what they've been trained to do and what they do best.
    No one is indifferent. Everyone wants the best possible outcome for you and will work to that end.

Please try to relax, stay busy, make sure your home is prepared for recovery.
    And keep coming back if you need to. Someone will be here day or night. We'll do whatever we can to help you through. Lights never go out here!

Prayers for your comfort and peace of mind as you await Wednesday :console2:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Nettie1975 I've been waiting since Oct last year for my op and I fluctuate between hopeful, resigned, nervous and plain panicstricken! I've been reading the posts on B/S for a while, and decided to trust all these lovely people when they say they are so much better off for having it done, and that the anaesthetic bit (think that worries me more than anything) is almost pleasant....think a nice peaceful sleep, waking up to no pain, what a treat that will be! :yes!: Hopefully in a few days you'll be posting that you're all done and dusted and you can't think why you were so worried.....I shall be looking out for you and cheering you on as we all will be :yay:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

@Nettie1975 when you get to the hospital, tell them your fears. They gave me something because I was so nervous. When I woke up I was also afraid of the pain but mine was different. It was not the pain of walking and hurting- it was surgery pain. I kept focusing on that and knew nurses and doctor could handle THAT pain. It was sort of uplifting. We will all be thinking of you Valentine!!! What time is surgery? You can do this. You have dealt with hip pain far too long.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Nettie1975

Nettie1975 new member

Thank you all so much. You all are the best. I have to be there Wednesday at 5am and my surgery is supposed to start at 6:30am.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mcopt

mcopt senior

@Nettie1975 Hi just like to reinforce what others are saying of course you will feel anxious but it really is far far easier than you imagine my spinal was painless the local first was hardly noticable its quite a pleasant feeling when your legs go numb I asked if I could stay awake and listen to my music which was fine by them however after a couple of bars of first track I knew nothing until I was woken up and being told it was all done . No post op pain as feeling comes back they will give you meds for any pain then but to be honest it really wasn't that bad just stiff and a bit achy nothing like this arthritic pain . You really will be surprised as to how straightforward and non scarey this whole thing is. I have my next one booked a day before my birthday and looking forward to it as a birthday present !!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. mcopt

mcopt senior

Ps early start is great I was first on list going to ask for that next

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

We will all be with you in thoughts!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

Day or night is so true! We always keep the light on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Toddlermom

Toddlermom senior

@Nettie1975 :wave: I had my first hip replaced at 42 also. It was always funny to be sitting in the surgeon's office....and feel so YOUNG! It's going to feel so much better very soon.

The last few days were the hardest because I had to go off all pain meds. And I never realized how much it hurt until I couldn't take an anti-inflammatory! You can use those big ice packs that you have prepped for post-surgery right now. :ice:

• Like Like x 1