Guest viewing is limited

THR Surgery done early!

Hi Mags,
I had the knee issue also, sore, tight, swollen with bruising that didn’t show up until I was 17 days post op. I iced my knee right along with all else that was causing me discomfort or pain. It all eases with time and lots of patience. You’ll get there. :wink:
I hope you have a good week!
@MagsE66
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and pleased with the progress you’re making.
Leave us an update as time allows, we’d love to hear from you.
Wishing you a nice weekend and a Happy Easter if you celebrate.
@MagsE66
 
Hello there
thank you for your message.
Progress is happening - definitely slow & steady. I’m learning to be patient!

My swollen knee has subsided but my knee itself is still quite painful. I really think it was seriously ‘man- handled’ during the operation as it’s sore & looks out of line with my leg! I feel it is preventing my walking progress.
I am now on one crutch around the house and this feels good.
I feel brighter & I can wash my own hair over the kitchen sink. Small wins feel great.

My big question now is how do you progress to walking without any crutches/ aids?
Does anyone remember how you did this or how you do it?
Are there any steps to follow or tips? Do you just know when you are ready?
Any advice would be great. thank you.

AND a final silly question (sorry) when hip restrictions are over can you just simply do things again ( I see my surgeon on the 25th- Will he say hip restrictions are now over? Or am I being naive?)
Can you
*sit on the sofa
*lean over a table to do some art work
*just go out for a coffee & not worry about the height of the chair or worry about not having a raised toilet seat?!
I just can’t imagine suddenly being able to get out of the house & do normal things!

Thank you again for always listening. This site has given me courage & strength over the last 5 weeks.
 
The progression for me was simple like forgetting my walker and walking the short distance to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Taking steps and holding the walker up and not putting it down for the next step. Then after going to a cane or stick I would forget it and walk away without it.
Restrictions are good for the healing and it will be a slow progression like all of the rest of this recovery. Just because the OS says you can doesn't mean your body can. The couch and the toilet seat will be easy transitions, the hard part will be getting up not sitting down! You have to perfect a technique like putting your hand between your knees to catch yourself going down and lift yourself going up. Your body will let you know to ease into things like washing your feet or tying your shoes. You'll get back to normal, but it's not going to be just because you made it to 6 weeks or any other specific time, each one of us and our hips are different.
 
Hi Mags,
I started going without aids in the kitchen; I'd hang the cane on a nearby chair or the countertop while washing dishes or waiting for the microwave to finish. Sometimes I'd take a step or two for another task. Before long I was forgetting to use the cane to cross the room or even to go elsewhere in the house.
As far as restrictions, when you have your visit, ask about them. If any particular movements concern you, ask about them specifically. At my 6 month visit I said "what about the restrictions?" and OS told me what to be wary of, and added demonstrations. It was hilarious to watch this big fit guy do a sort of pantomime of someone stuck in the depths of a cushy sofa, trying to get out, up, and moving.
When you go out, it might be more comfortable for you to avoid booth seating...the seated scooching to the end might not be good as per restrictions. In the ladies' room, go for the handicap stall. The toilet is probably higher than the regular ones, and there's a grab bar to help you, instead of having to lower down using a hand on the seat.
It's a bit scary to try to do things you've been restricted from, but if you try doing things in little tiny steps you'll build confidence in your new hip as you find you are able to do more and more.
I really like what Eman85 said " You'll get back to normal, but it's not going to be just because you made it to 6 weeks or any other specific time, each one of us and our hips are different." True!
 
You will naturally transition into letting go of that crutch without realizing it. Once your hip has healed enough to support the daily workload, you will know on your own when the "right" time is. As days progress, you will be naturally using less and less support from the crutch, and you wanting to try it without it, or getting up to grab something without noticing you forgot your crutch will just come naturally.

The being thing is to take your time, don't push your hip passed it's healing stage, and be patient. Going down to 1 crutch already is amazing progress, don't stress yourself about when is the right time. You will get there.
 
Hello friends
Here I am again

5 weeks post op & having a seriously ‘blue’ day.
I feel like I’ve taken 5 steps backwards over the last two days.

Today my knee is so sore & tingly it's hindering my walking. I have no idea how to improve the discomfort in my knee. Nothing helps- ice/ no exercise/ gentle exercise.

I also have a achey muscles all over my thigh & in my buttock.I have no motivation to do very much at all. It feels like there’s no end in sight.

I sleep very little every night & my legs cramp up if they are in one position too long through the night. This feels like another set back. And Iam so very tired. I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus.
This feels like it’s come from nowhere & is unexpected after 5 weeks.
Thanks for listening.
 
The Post Op Blues often seem to kick in around the one month post op point.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/
The knee is often manipulated very aggressively during the dislocation process and it can take awhile for the pain or discomfort to ease. I’m not sure if you’re still on any prescribed meds, but if not, I hope you’re at least taking a OTC pain reliever so you can rest comfortably. Try to sleep whenever you’re able, even if it’s through napping here and there throughout the day. This is all temporary, so hang in there, things should get better, it’s still early days for you.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening. :console2:
@MagsE66
 
I’m sorry you are struggling @MagsE66 . I fear that you may be sick of hearing the same thing, but it’s still true, that you are at an early stage of your recovery, and you will feel better, given time.

Lack of sleep is normal at this stage, and makes everything feel so much worse.

I kept a detailed daily diary of my first THR recovery, and I have been looking through it to see where I was after 5 weeks. I see that, like you, I was feeling discouraged. I then compared where I was after 36 days with the situation at 6, 16 and 26 days, and then I could really see progress. ( This was Layla’s suggestion, to look at progress in weekly jumps. Since I was slower than average, I decided to use 10 day jumps). That cheered me up a lot. But then I tried a bit too hard with exercises. The exercises seemed fine at the time, but the next night I was awake with pain, and had to resort to taking codeine. I had been off all painkillers for a few days, so clearly I was feeling like I was going backwards. But soon after that, I was improving again.

So I think I was very much in the same position as you at the same time. And, eventually, my hip was perfect. Which is why I keep saying, hang in there! It will get better!

I note that you have tried gentle exercises and no exercises. But are you taking into account that you have transitioned to using one crutch? And maybe trying a bit with no crutches? Any change will be giving your leg more work to do, and may trigger pain. Maybe try going back to two crutches for a few days. Whatever you can do to rest your poor sore leg.

I do so hope that you will feel better soon.
 
We've all had those "blue" days, me included. My saying is surgeons fix our broken parts but they do not address the mental aspect of recovery, especially for people that have been very active prior to a hip replacement. Mine was a result of a slip and fall on the ice so wasn't planned. And my life was walking rescue dogs 3-4 days per week as well as working in a restaurant as a server 3-4 days a week so all that came to a crashing halt, (no pun intended). I'd be sitting at the kitchen table and just burst out into tears, just let the tears flow, it's soothing.
I'll be 9 weeks post op tomorrow and I can see my independence coming back, I can do much more just in last two weeks. I walk around my kitchen pretty much unassisted other than holding onto a counter here and there but can stand at sink and do dishes and put them away, make coffee, etc.
As far as knee, I had same, I kept thinking I was going to need a knee replacement as well!!! But it's fine now.
I'd ice my knee and hip.
All my best.
 
Hi Mags,
I had the knee issue also, sore, tight, swollen with bruising that didn’t show up until I was 17 days post op. I iced my knee right along with all else that was causing me discomfort or pain. It all eases with time and lots of patience. You’ll get there. :wink:
I hope you have a good week!
@MagsE66
I’m also icing my knee and ankle, which sometimes get minimally swollen at the end of the day. Same with my inner leg, which bore the brunt of bruising.
 
Hello friends
Here I am again

5 weeks post op & having a seriously ‘blue’ day.
I feel like I’ve taken 5 steps backwards over the last two days.

Today my knee is so sore & tingly it's hindering my walking. I have no idea how to improve the discomfort in my knee. Nothing helps- ice/ no exercise/ gentle exercise.

I also have a achey muscles all over my thigh & in my buttock.I have no motivation to do very much at all. It feels like there’s no end in sight.

I sleep very little every night & my legs cramp up if they are in one position too long through the night. This feels like another set back. And Iam so very tired. I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus.
This feels like it’s come from nowhere & is unexpected after 5 weeks.
Thanks for listening.
That is such a common thing to feel. I went through the same thing to at 4-5 weeks. I find that until that point, your body is constantly taking obvious upgrades every couple of days where you can physically SEE the recovery improving. At about a month I feel like your body is actually still doing those but not as physically obvious, which makes it hard because mentally you've already gone through the ringer and now "you're not getting any better" which is not actually the case-and when you are still so early in recovery, you still be tired and really feeling things D R A G O N. Be easy on yourself. You ARE still doing major progresses in your recovery but your body is doing most of it right now internally. You will be shocked with yourself in a few day or a week or two-or three when you're suddenly doing things that you hadn't the day before. BIG HUGS my friend. I was there to just recently(I'm 9 weeks PO now), and it's tough. You've got this!
 
A big thank you to all of you who replied to my last post. You will never know how much your kind words of wisdom have really helped me & made such a difference to me. Just to know that what I’m feeling & experiencing is ‘normal’ at this stage of recovery is such a relief & comfort.
Every day seems to bring a new twinge or ache or pain so I’m trying to just be kind to myself and accept it’s my body healing.
Thank you again.
 
@MagsE66 that's the great thing about the forum, so many people you can share your concerns with. Its always so comforting when you find out that what you're experiencing is completely normal and part of recovery. Hang in there, it does get better. :friends:
 
Every day seems to bring a new twinge or ache or pain so I’m trying to just be kind to myself and accept it’s my body healing.
I remember this well. It certainly brings back memories. I finally grew tired of feeling anxious about every new sensation and decided that unless something was escalating in frequency, or intensity, I’d just roll with it. Early on it seriously felt like one odd sensation was replaced by another.

Your body is healing and it’s still really early into the process in the whole scheme of things. You’ll get there, with some patience and more time. Consider gauging your progress by weeks, rather than days. That’s what I did and noticed the progress more so by choosing a day of the week, then on that same day every week I’d reflect back on the progress I’d made since the week before.
Wishing you a great weekend!
 
Good morning

Had a good 6 week appointment with my surgeon this week who is pleased with my progress. All good news. He dismissed my knee tingles/fuzzy feeling as one of those things that will eventually go!

He said all hip restrictions were now removed! Which is bitter- sweet.
My body is definitely not ready to do many of the things I’m now allowed to! did anyone else find this!

I’m wondering though how to transition to sleeping on my side as I’d love to do this but feel scared about doing it for the first time? Any tips/help would be much appreciated.

Also we only have a shower over a bath tub which is STILL proving impossible to get into! Any ideas about how to get in (without spending any more money on gadgets) would be very much appreciated. I look longingly at it every day!

Thanks for listening. My first thought was I’ll ask my Bonesmart friends for help.
Its So good to have you.
 
Is it possible for you to safely sit on the edge of the tub, with your good leg facing in, and swing yourself in, then stand? This has been working for me, but our tub has an unusually wide ledge. I sit on a towel to do this. When I’m ready to get out, I simply do the reverse. I have my husband there for safety but I find I can now handle this maneuver on my own. I have non skid plastic mat in the tub as well as a non skid cotton one out of the tub so no wet feet on the floor. It sounds cumbersome but our tub is quite deep and high with a glass enclosure which I’m not closing for now, I’m not quite ready to step in from a standing position but getting there. I went over this with the at home PT and he loved our solution, maybe that can work for you.
 
Does the UK have anything like Senior Centers who you can call to find out if there is some sort of post op aids lending center that you might borrow a transfer seat? They're ugly and cumbersome, but a godsend when you crave a shower.
Would you consider installing a grab bar near the edge of the tub? They're a good thing to have anyway, not only for post op. You can hang on for support and do a sort of leg extension move and swing a leg in, then follow with the other. It worked best for me to lead with the good leg for support in the tub, and follow with the op leg.
Or maybe one of the ubiquitous plastic lawn chairs would fit over the tub wall, and you could use it as a transfer seat?
 
As for sleeping on your side … I found it fairly painless to do this, maybe because I so hated sleeping on my back. I’ve already shared my love for my cushy form pillow which I place just above my knees. It’s far smaller and more firm than a standard pillow. I’m on my non operated side, I think my incision is still a bit tender but at some point in the next few weeks I may try it, since that was my pre surgery sleep position. I have my legs just slightly bent, with ankles either touching or one slightly in front of the other. Hope this works for you, I’m not sleeping through the night (I never do) but I have find this quite comfortable and I am definitely sleeping better than on my back.
 
Good morning

Had a good 6 week appointment with my surgeon this week who is pleased with my progress. All good news. He dismissed my knee tingles/fuzzy feeling as one of those things that will eventually go!
Brilliant news!
He said all hip restrictions were now removed! Which is bitter- sweet.
My body is definitely not ready to do many of the things I’m now allowed to! did anyone else find this!
Yep. All sorts of things. I would say, if you don’t want and need to do them, leave it as long as you like. One day you won’t even think about having a new hip. If you are keen to do it, proceed very slowly, no sudden moves.

When I got permission to sleep on either side, I was so thrilled. Until I tried it and found it horribly uncomfortable. Then I just tried again much later and it was much more natural.
I’m wondering though how to transition to sleeping on my side as I’d love to do this but feel scared about doing it for the first time? Any tips/help would be much appreciated.
I had my husband standing by as I cautiously got into position - and then with his help hastily got out of it again. That was earlier in recovery, only a couple of weeks, so you won’t necessarily find it uncomfortable. But if you can ask someone to stand by during your first trial, I think that is a good way to deal with the totally understandable nervousness.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom