THR Surgery done early!

I slept on my right side for my entire life until this surgery and had no issue switching to the left, much to my surprise. My restrictions were lifted yesterday and I tried sleeping on the right. Didn’t work. Not a matter of pain, more like my body simply got used to the other side! I’m off to slowly resuming all my sports as of today. Good luck with your continued recovery!
 
Thank you Layla for acknowledging my two month anniversary! Wow. Seems like a long journey! Thanks also Sohowarrior for your message too!

I'm now 9 weeks post op & unbelievably still suffering with my knee. My surgeon dismissed it saying it would settle by 12 weeks. I was so low last week I rang the doctor who gave me some strong anti inflammatories. These have really helped until today!
Today my whole leg is tight from top to bottle- like it’s been squeezed really hard. My scar, knee & thigh are sore. I’m feeling rather tired & fed up to be honest.

Im making good progress otherwise but now feel my Knee is holding me back & dragging me down. Any advice anyone please? My sleep is also terrible with leg cramps waking me up in the early hours.

Sorry to moan! I do have a lot to celebrate. Toilet seat, bed raisers are removed. I’m relaxing on the sofa, can get into the bath for a shower & even drove the car round the block yesterday.
Thanks as always for listening
 
Lack of sleep has been very debilitating for me too. I found that having multiple locations to snooze has helped a lot instead of looking at the ceiling all night in one bed. For example, if you have a recliner, sit in that for a while and then go back to bed. We have a higher, firmer sofa that has come in handy for side sleeping because the sofa back actually supports me sleeping on my side for a while and then I go back to bed. I also try not to nap during the day. I saw a video of two OS who say lack of sleep is one of the most frequently reported problems up until 2 months post surgery. It took 3 weeks for me but I'm still working on it.
 
Today my whole leg is tight from top to bottle- like it’s been squeezed really hard. My scar, knee & thigh are sore.
I’d recommend you dedicate some time to icing and elevation.
Jamie from admin once explained that It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.


BoneSmart FA, @CricketHip is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has shared this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain - you may want to give it a try and tag her if you have any questions.

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.
 
Regarding Leg Cramps / Sleep, you may want to consider Magnesium.
Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)


An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine.
Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.
 
@MagsE66 Your swelling sounds pretty intense and if you need any help with the information Layla gave you , I am here to help.
Just tag me like I just tagged you.
Ideally, it would be good if you could also do light strikes upward from your feet, but that isn't easy to do, let alone after surgery. There is a natural bristle brush on a long handle, like to wash your back in the shower that works well to assist in stimulating lymph flow.. maybe you already have one. If not, most drugstores have them.

You would benefit from some MLD sessions with a certified MLD therapist, but the at home "exercises" can help a lot, too.
 
Thank you Layla & CricketHip for your support & guidance. I am having a go at the deep breathing & the light strokes. I had never heard of MLD so it been good to read up about this. I am still icing & elevating.

I’m still in constant agony though & today I have a tightness through my operated knee & leg. It is pretty unbearable & I’m unsure what else to do.
@CricketHip - do you have any further advice or ideas?
Thank you so much for your help. As always.
 
@MagsE66 I was thinking of you and wondering if you were able to try some of the lymphatic drainage techniques more than once? What I am suggesting it just a little bit of what can be done, but I think it could help if you do it daily.
My other advice would be to find a certified MLD therapist, one who truly experienced and see them several times. Is that a possibility for you?
I made good use of my own techniques but then would go for gentle to moderate pressure massages, I felt things loosen up more with each session.
Good luck,, I hate to hear that you are struggling.
 
Hello Bone Smart friends
It’s 12 weeks post op tomorrow and I’m laid on the bed crying.
The tightness & tingling in my knee is as bad as ever. It’s like a constant noise in my brain bringing me down & making me feel very depressed.
Nothing I do makes it feel easier. I do not have a single moment in any day where I can relax & not be agitated with the discomfort.
It’s debilitating & depressing.
I am laid here with ice packs on it, taking otc painkillers & trying my deep breathing & long body strokes regularly each day.
I’m not sure there any answers anymore but just needed to put it down in writing.
Thanks for listening as always.
 
Oh Mags... I am so sorry to read your update.

I haven't had a knee replacement so haven't much to offer to you, but the icing and resting will be helpful.
Have you increased your activities recently?
Something even small and viewed as minor can create a string of protests from any new joint.
I also wonder if you ever looked up a MLD specialist to see for some gentle assistance?


:console2:
 
Hello Mags,
I’m so sorry you’re still struggling with this, it seems to no end. Since the icing and elevation don’t seem to be bringing you any relief and your surgeon expressed you‘d get beyond this at three months post op, which you almost are, it sounds like you should schedule another visit with him, focusing on your knee. As we’ve mentioned, the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process, possibly a x-ray of your knee is in order. Especially given it has you in a state of anxiety, pain and misery. Something to consider. Please stay in touch.
Wishing you comfort. :console2:
@MagsE66
 
Hello @MagsE66
I thought I’d check in on you on this three month anniversary of your THR. I want to wish you a happy anniversary, but I’m hesitant to do so since you were really struggling the last time we heard from you. I hope you’re feeling better. Please let us know how you’re doing. We do care. :console2:
 
Hello @MagsE66! I am also around 4 months post op so I am curious to hear if you are feeling any better? I was also discouraged at 3 months as I was still in significant pain. I was also icing and taking both OTC and some tramadol to be honest. I did go to my doctor (not the original surgeon but a second opinion) and he put me on muscle relaxants and it really really helped bring the pain down to a tolerable level. It was really a turning point. And I was taking a meloxicam as well at bed time for inflammation. Please let us know how you are feeling. Best wishes for a pain free recovery from now on.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom