Surgery and Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you shouldn't have a problem. Look at this lady!

[Bonesmart.org] Surgery and Diabetes
 
We all have the jitters before surgery! It's not just you. It is a huge decision to have this surgery for sure, but one you will not regret. But that's exactly why we're here for you....to help with the jitters. So don't hesitate to post any time you have a concern or question. We'll be here for you!
 
@Daffy dill,

Let's see..... Worrying about being overweight? I was 435 pounds when I had my left knee replaced, and then 8 weeks later had the other one done. I ran a 50/50 chance of MRSA because of 6 previous MRSA infections. My OS said something that sealed the deal! He said, "Do you want to live a life of quality or merely quantity?" I had spent too many years "sitting on sidelines, I wanted to get back in the game!" :swim:

You will see if you click the blue link at the bottom of this post that it wasn't easy; but then again, I chose to remain as positive as possible. You see, we can control how we face setbacks; it's in your attitude! I had down days, but I pulled myself, or had others pull me right back out of negativity.:swoon:

I truly feel if you think you can, you will, and if you can't you won't. It all depends on your perspective! Please keep me updated and know that I do care about you! My husband has diabetes, but refuses to control it, so any surgery would not be in his best interest. You will be fine, and we will be here for you!:type:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you have some time!:heehee: There are three threads! LOL. I can tell you at this point I am 250 pounds down from 435, and I have walked in 2 5K's. I have done Zumba, Water Zumba, planks, yogalates, yoga, riding the spin bike, playing 18 holes of golf etc.

I will send before and after pictures,
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Surgery and Diabetes
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 240
  • [Bonesmart.org] Surgery and Diabetes
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 250
I am considered obese and was turned down by several OS but the surgeon I found was not particularly concerned other than he said he might have to make a longer incision. I am also diabetic and with atrial fibrillation. I came thru okay - only complication was Cellulitis after 2 weeks but I've had it several times before so that wasn't a surprise or really related to the surgery. They did give me insulin in the hospital but only a couple of times and then my blood sugar was controlled okay with my regular oral medication.

I won't say it's been easy but I don't think my recovery has been much different than others of regular weight and non-diabetic, so try not to worry. If I can answer any other questions, I'll be happy to.
 
I am a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic. I had 2 doctors. My OS for the surgery and an internist to take care of my diabetes. I had no problems with diabetes. I had my knee surgeries 9 weeks apart. I am doing well. Knowing what I know and have been through I would do it again. My legs are straight not bowed. I only walked 3 houses down the block and back and cried in pain before knee surgery. I am walking 30 to 45 minutes a day. I am also using a stationery bike . I too need to lose some weight. This is a great place to get helpful information and also make friends that have gone through what you are now going through.
 
@Josephine I went for my pre-admission testing today and an instruction class also. Overall I was pleased by what I heard. I was given a binder with info just for THR. I learned why my surgeon said not to donate blood ahead of time. He uses something called tranexamic acid which lessens the need for transfusions. An RN went over everything step by step. They use SCDs. No mention of TEDs. I was surprised that the binder of info and the nurse never mentioned ice and elavate which makes sense to me and BS seems to swear by it. Any thoughts?
 
Don't know why they wouldn't mention icing and elevating but we can tell you that years of working with recovery patients has proven that it works to control pain and swelling. I sure recommend that you "write it in" your binder and use it as one of your recovery tools!
 
@Jamie Thank you for your response. I was already convinced by all the participants and plan to ice and elevate. I was just surprised at the absence in what I heard today.
 
We're always surprised at that too but you'd be surprised how many hospitals and doctors don't use ice. It's pretty amazing to us! If you want it when you're in the hospital, you usually can get it if you ask (and insist).
 
I fully concur with Jamie's comments. However, I would say that in the information sheets I got from the hospital when I had my knees done, thought there were pages of stuff about exercises (which I ignored) and wound care (which was never an issue as the practice nurse saw to that) there was no mention of anticoagulant injections, TED hose, icing or elevating. :shrug:
 
We're always surprised at that too but you'd be surprised how many hospitals and doctors don't use ice. It's pretty amazing to us! If you want it when you're in the hospital, you usually can get it if you ask (and insist).
That was my case, too. I had to ask for ice and originally they gave me some simple cold pack that was practically worthless, wouldn't cover much of the area and wouldn't stay in place. I ended up asking them to fill a plastic bag with ice and put it inside a pillow case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom