THR Superpath recovery what to expect

@Jamie wow! That nurturing mother post you just reposted to CLS is amazing! I vote that it should be included in the reading list that Layla and others post to new members! I'm not a mother but the part about the husband's perceptions is so true. Mine was attentive but was exhausted after 2 days of 'doing everything'. And it applies to everyone when they start getting up and around a bit, that the perception of others (friends, family, employers) is that you are completely healed - but as we know that is a long way off. I'm so happy I read that post. Thank you.

Good morning, new hippy pal!:wave:

We have had many members describe this type feeling in early days.
Might want to check out this link to an article about Noise Issues in our library.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...e-components-in-total-joint-replacement.1405/

Consecutive hours of sleep was a really hard thing for me for quite a bit so I had to resign myself to napping whenever possible to try to catch up.
I had a recliner that became my bed for the first weeks, easier to get up at night to go to the bathroom and less stress on my back.
Early early early days so keep the faith.
All temporary!
Healing mojo coming your way.:angel:

So glad you liked the article. We do post it a lot for mothers and those who feel like they "must" do things for home and family while still in the early months of recovery. We tell them if no one is going to be harmed or die because of "it," take a deep breath and let "it" go. Not a single person ever succumbed to a bad case of dust bunnies under the furniture for a few months.

The article can take some re-reading now and then because the desire to get back to normal as fast as possible burns bright in most of us. But just remember you have a whole lifetime ahead with your new hip. Recovery is a temporary blip on the screen and it will be over before you know it. Better to take the time now to recover properly than risk the inflammation that can come with pushing your body before it's ready.

I think you're doing great so far! I know this is a learning experience for the whole family, but you'll come out on the other end all smiles and ready to take on the world.

@CLS Have you considered renting a recliner/lift chair? I did that for both of my surgeries and it was so helpful. not only for sleeping but for getting comfortable during the day. I imagine you are up and down more than some of us without young children and the lift part of the chair is so helpful.
Most Home health suppliers offer them, they are a vinyl type material so they are wiped down well and kept clean. I know that was my concern.

You sound great,, that little bit of sleep is so helpful. :flwrysmile:

@CricketHip i did it- I went ahead and rented a recliner and it arrives tomorrow. So many people talked about one in the conversations above and then today I ventured downstairs for the first time and looked at our beautiful modern LOW couch and just stared at it- no way am I sitting on that anytime soon . I sat on a dining room table chair for about 10 minutes while my 19 month old ran around the house with my walker- he thinks it the best toy ever. Went back upstairs and promptly rented the chair. I think it will be very helpful for when I start venturing downstairs each day for awhile to be able to sit in it. Thanks for the advice all

So what do I do today since laying in bed hurts now (back). Just move around from room to room trying out chairs?

I slept on the couch the first two weeks. For some reason it felt more supportive than my bed. But if you have a low couch, be really careful getting up so that you don’t bend at too sharp of an angle.

I loved your story about the 19-month-old and your walker. Just wait till the little ones get a load of that recliner! You and hubby may have some discipline challenges ahead as I'm sure they'll think it is fun to "ride." :heehee:

I love love loved my recliner.:loveshwr:
Definitely think you made the right move.:ok:

Aww, cute baby story! Love the visual of your little man pushing the walker around.
I have a feeling you're going to enjoy the recliner! You'll have to report back.
Hope you have a peaceful evening and sleep well tonight. :yawn: :sleep:
@CLS

while my 19 month old ran around the house with my walker- he thinks it the best toy ever.

:heehee: you may need something handy to bribe him to return it.! So happy to hear about your recliner rental. It's a life saver and will enable you to remain downstairs for longer. I'm guessing you may take some very good sleeps in it, too. :flwrysmile:

I know we are to be very careful about exercises and PT as our hip will heal just fine by itself. So don’t need any info on that- I understand that loud and clear. With that said, my one insurance approved PT appt is in about 2 hours. Any advice on things to ask her? For tips and tricks?

hmm, you know the mantra so just remember that you can say no to anything you aren't comfortable with.
Hopefully you get a sensible one who just helps you with activities of daily living. :SUNsmile:

I worked with a PT in early stages of recovery: she paid attention to my gait, helped me figure out when it was safe to transition off the walker and onto the cane, helped me figure out some functional things like safely getting into and out of my tub/shower combo and into and out of the driver's seat of my small car. So, if there are questions you have about safe movement or navigating your environment or whether you're walking with good form--go for it! We went for a walk outside each visit but didn't do any other exercises--too soon for that.

Edited to add: She also served a visiting nurse function and checked my incision each visit, which was reassuring since I can't easily see it.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be concerned. Your gonna have lots of weird sensations the first few weeks! Just make sure you are walking correctly with the walker.

Thx! Very helpful! I will ask her about gait and transitioning to cane. I’m stronger each day but my operated hip was soooooo bad that the muscles are weak and I’ve favored my left for quite some time.

hip was soooooo bad that the muscles are weak and I’ve favored my left for quite some time
Don't let PT start any kind of strengthening exercises on this area. They are prone to want to put you on a "training programme" versus helping you heal. Strengthening can come later - once that hip is healed.

Anything more than moving your leg around a little yourself it's time to show the PT the door! You have had a tremendous traumatic experience. Your muscles are no weaker then the rest of us and doing anything now will make them weaker. If an athlete pulls a muscle they don't start exercising it immediately. Now when you pull a muscle it remains in place in your body and takes quite a while to heal. With a THR think of the trauma to your muscles! Do you think they want to be worked to gain strength? Don't worry about your gait just yet, you've got about 3 mos of healing and practicing walking before you need to be concerned with your gait.

Well PT came and she was sweet. She gave me exercises but they are pretty minimal -just basically simple movement- and she advised that anything that hurts a few hours later or causes swelling is too much. So everything should be slow and incremental. I’m pretty in tune with my body and have been feeling stronger every day so I will likely do a couple of these and more so after I heal. It seems that they should focus on different exercises for different approaches. My butt and side is super tight and has had the most trauma so “exercises” involving these muscles seem ridiculous- just need to relax and heal. My thigh though is fine now and completely weak as it was prior to surgery so I’m going to do a few of those kinds of exercises a bit more. Common sense and knowing your body I suppose!

It’s day 6 post op. I’m sleeping well at night. I can mostly get in and out of bed myself. I can take a shower on my own and use the bathroom and have ventured downstairs each day for past three days. I’m still on vicadin every 4-41/2 hours except at night sometimes it goes 6+ hours until I wake up. I’m finding my body wanting to walk. I do think that is all I need to do right now- get the new hip moving. My right leg felt shorter than my left before surgery and now still does after surgery. I am hoping this is because for so long I basically walked on my left and that the muscles are so weak, tight and shrunk on my right that over time I will straighten out and have less leg length discrepancy. I’ve noticed that I even stand kind of crooked leaning to the left. I absolutely need the walker to walk since my right is so weak still.
What would you say is average time of needing walker? And anyone out there had a shorter operated leg that over time you were able to stretch and lengthen your muscles? Is there a way to topically discuss things on the forum like leg length or using a walker instead of just seeing who happens upon my recovery thread?
Thx!

Good Morning @CLS
It sounds like you're doing really well! Wondering if you've read the article from the Library on LLD?
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/leg-length-differential-lld.6173/
It's difficult to answer the question on average time on a walker. It varies from person to person often due to the physical condition they were in at the time of surgery. If pressed, I'd say between 3-6 weeks on average. Most leaning toward the earlier range, losing it to a cane or crutch. Due to many variables we're often cautioned against comparing recoveries. I'm sure you can understand the reasoning.

There really isn't a way to topically discuss particular subjects other than to post questions or concerns on your thread and wait for feedback. Some people attract attention to a certain topic by changing their thread title but doing that on a regular basis isn't really encouraged. You could also type Leg Length Differential into the SEARCH bar at the top of the page and pull up threads where it's been mentioned / discussed.

It's wonderful you're sleeping so well as sleep is so important to healing. I'm also impressed you're already showering unassisted. I think it took me several days to get up the courage to take one, finally persuaded by my husband who was within earshot for the first few. In my estimation, you're ahead of the game there.

Keep up the great work and have a peaceful Sunday!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back