Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Superior and Inferior Patellar Enthesophytes

I would call your OS office and talk to the answering service to get a doctor to call you back about the blood thinner now. It is more important to have it especially right after surgery than to wait. I took coated aspirins twice a day but you need to know what the doctor says. I had my surgery in July and while I had ice on my knee I wound up with blankets on me to keep myself warm.
 
@GratefulNana
You are in situation that should not be tolerated. It's obvious that your care has been, and still is, inadequate and inappropriate.

First, since you've had no help from your surgeon and he doesn't seem to be contactable, get in touch with your regular doctor. You need appropriate medication for your pain, your blood pressure probably needs to be checked and you need advice about whether or not to take your blood pressure medications. You need to know if you should be taking anti-clot meds, too.

I'm sorry, but you and your husband are going to have to be the "squeaky gate" and keep insisting and pushing, until you get proper treatment. You also need to let your surgeon know about the ludicrously inappropriate procedures for your discharge from hospital. Don't let this ride.

I'm really sorry you've had to go through all this. Believe me, it isn't the norm.
 
Bless your heart So sorry you had to go thru that. I found some of the nurses were so companionate while others & Care Partners did not need to be in that profession. I did report them My husband was my advocate I'm normally a patient person but I got very vocal a few times. I had Bilateral on 12/8/15 My hospital didn't use ice except after PT & they applied those. Wishing you well
In your recovery



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I agree with Celle. You and your husband will need to get on the phone to your OS and GP.

Document your poor treatment and write to the hospital/HMO when you're feeling better.
 
I'm sorry, but you and your husband are going to have to be the "squeaky gate"
You have to make noise about this---the pain meds should be correct so that you do not have to endure this. Do not worry at all about hurting anybody's feelings--you are the one having the issues, which you should not have to endure. What is happening to you is truly unprofessional.
 
Was discharged with no pain meds or blood thinners.
This is unfathomable---you need strong pain meds as you have just undergone very traumatic surgery.
I emailed my OS about the blood thinner on Wednesday.
It is time to get on the phone to everybody---GP, OS and call them repeatedly. Do not be afraid of stepping on toes or hurting anybody's feelings. This is about you and your inadequate care.
 
Thanks for all the support. I had my husband call the advice nurse last night, since I was getting no response from my OS. She was very good at what she does and made sure that she knew exactly what my concerns are. She forwarded my questions electronically to a doctor and I just got off the phone to him. I try not to read too much into people 's telephone, text, or email responses, because it is diffucult to discern tone. That being said, arrogance cones to mind . I am to continue with the baby aspirin twice daily for a blood thinner. I told him that I had weaned myself off of the Percocet 10mg Tabs every six hours. I only took 5mg every six hours and eventually stopped them all together last night. I explained that the Percocet had caused me to have four asthma attacks while in the hospital, and I have never had an asthma attack before, even though I have been asthmatic for many years. With the potential for bronco spasm and my increased heart rate, 100 -109, when it is usually 62, I told him I felt that Percocet was not a good fit for me. He told me to increase the Tramadol to 100mg every four hours for pain management, another new drug to me with unknown side effects. I explained to him that I thought I would like to try Tylenol with Codeine No. 3. I have had success with that medication in the past post-op, and wanted to stay with something that I know how to manage. He agreed, and now my poor husband has been gone for hours trying to figure out the process, since I have no idea what city, state, or country in which this doctor resides. My husband needs a paper prescription for a Schedule 3 Drug with the new Federal Laws. Ahh! What we do to protect us from ourselves...but, I digress!

Apparently I was anemic before having the surgery and lost a bit of blood during the surgery. According to this doctor, my heart rate increase is due to my heart having to pump harder due to less blood volume. That's his story and he is sticking to it. He asked me if I had a home health nurse, and I had to honestly answer that I do not know. With the great State of California Pers Care, coupled with their Senior Advantage Program, and throw in a sprinkling of a very expensive Federal Government Retiree Policy that does not require Medicare integration, I would think that I would have home health. I have no co-pays for surgery, meds, or DME. He ordered labs, but said not to worry if I don't have home health, I can go to the lab and get it done. Really? If this scenario wasn't so pathetic, it would actually be funny.

I expected a journey. I just didn't expect an E-ticket ride!


BTKR Scheduled for 12/28/2015
 
You OS needs somebody to report him and his callous attitude. I am appalled at how poorly you have been treated and that nobody is following up on your questions or conditions.
 
Well, that's half a solution. At least you got to talk to someone and when your husband gets back you will have some pain relief.
I still think you need to talk to your own doctor and possibly see him/her as well. It's impossible to diagnose everything over the phone. Your blood pressure should be checked and, after those asthma attacks it would be a good idea to have a doctor listen to both your lungs and your heart.
Apparently I was anemic before having the surgery and lost a bit of blood during the surgery. According to this doctor, my heart rate increase is due to my heart having to pump harder due to less blood volume.
That sounds like a load of rubbish to me! Lowered blood volume will cause lowered blood pressure and increased heart rate at the time, but you would have soon made up that lost volume, although you could still be anaemic (that's another thing to get checked).

Several people dropped the ball, big time, when it came to your care and discharge arrangements. Don't let this ride. Do what you need to do, to make sure that you get appropriate care.

Hugs to you! I'm sure you need some hugs right now. :console2: :friends:
 
I still think you need to talk to your own doctor and possibly see him/her as well. It's impossible to diagnose everything over the phone. Your blood pressure should be checked and, after those asthma attacks it would be a good idea to have a doctor listen to both your lungs and your heart.
Without a doubt!
 
WooHoo! I made the one week mark! My journey got off to a pretty rough start, and there will probably be many potholes in the road ahead, but I can't thank all of you enough for the support given. ...cheerleader...happy face!

I have checked my Cal Pers Senior Medicare Advantage Policy Booklet that is sent during open season. It states that I am entitled to Home Health with a caveat 2. The caveat 2 means the physician needs to order it. Case in point, who is considered my physician--the OS, who did the surgery and went on vacation; the Hospital Based Doctor, who could never remember when he did rounds that I was a BTKR, and released me to drive 35 miles home in heavy traffic with no pain meds, no anticoagulant meds, and no rescue inhaler for bronco spasms brought on by a reaction to Percocet given in the hospital, even though, as an asthmatic, I have a standing prescription for it; or my PCP, who has been on vacation and has no knowledge of my surgery and ensuing issues? The medical profession has become a quagmire of legal mumbo jumbo.

My PT has been contracted out to a local agency. I met the PT last Thursday. I have no opinion so far, as we mainly did paperwork. However, I did have to email her that the PDF containing the exercises that she expected me to do gave me a "corrupt file" error message, and I could not open it. We are not off to a good start. I hope she is better than the one at the hospital, who kept telling me to use my stronger leg to leverage the weaker one during sitting and standing movements. Really? My early release from the hospital was left to the PT to determine if I could safely climb the three steps into my home. The PT put me in a wheelchair, took me, and my husband to the fourth floor of the hospital to the PT Department. There was a platform built with two sizes of steps. The PT took me to the shorter steps, told me to use a crutch like a cane with him supporting me on the other side. He realized immediately that this positioning was not going to work. He became flustered and told my husband that we would have to hire a wheelchair van to drive me home. After everything that had happened, my husband just wanted me out of there and safely home. He told the PT that he would figure it out. We already had an aluminum ramp that we purchased three years ago when our daughter broke her knee. Our neighbor has loaned us a transport wheelchair, so we knew what to do. But I did not get stair training for whatever reason. It wasn't because I was not willing to try.

This is a new week, and a new beginning. I am looking forward to a trip to Yosemite National Park at the end of February. I may not be able to hike the trails, but I can certainly enjoy the view! My first goal!


BTKR Scheduled for 12/28/2015
 
I think you could get your GP to order the home health nurse since he would likely be the one monitoring your anemia and asthma. And he'd likely want to see you too.
 
The glass is half full...the glass is half full...I had another set back today. Hopefully, it was caught in time. The PT was debating on whether to remove the waterproof pad covering the steristrips underneath. She didn't like the way my knee looked from last week. The knee was bothering me since surgery, where it had never reLly bothered me before. The waterproof bandage on both knees had already begun to pull off while I was in the hospital. Ends up that the left knee was not sealed in the middle and the wound is open. The entire left leg was not bandaged correctly. She took a photo and called her company. They are sending a RN out tomorrow to access and try to close the wound. I called the Office of the OS and could only leave a message. His assistant called and said it is too far for me to go see him, so he is okay with the Home Health Nurse. I gave my PT a very nice bottle of Pinot Noir.


BTKR Scheduled for 12/28/2015
 
Ends up that the left knee was not sealed in the middle and the wound is open. The entire left leg was not bandaged correctly. She took a photo and called her company. They are sending a RN out tomorrow to access and try to close the wound. I called the Office of the OS and could only leave a message. His assistant called and said it is too far for me to go see him, so he is okay with the Home Health Nurse.
I'm glad your PT did something about your knee. However, the entire situation is unsettling and unacceptable.
I hope that the RN can help your incision, but if it needs re-suturing that is a job for a surgeon. I also hope that she will pull some strings for you, to ensure that you get better care from your surgeon and his assistants.

How far away is you surgeon's office? His assistant sounds as if he/she is giving you the brush-off.

Can you get your own doctor to look at your knee? And, by the way, have you made an appointment yet to see him/her about the other issues?

I do hope that you're writing down all the ways in which you have been let down and had appallingly bad care. You will have to let your surgeon have a copy of your complaints (when you finally see him) and let him know that you find this lack of care completely unacceptable.
 
I had to have surgery on my retina last year that was very scary with the potential of leaving me blind for life, since I was born with an eye defect at birth that left me without binocular vision. Of course, the eye being operated on was my good eye. The RN came in and put a pair of Purple Bair Paws socks on my feet and wished me luck. The surgery was a success!

This morning, I awoke feeling more like me. I asked my husband to help me put on my lucky socks ;-)

My OS surgeon called me today and apologized for the failed system. He said that he left on vacation right after my surgery, but he has a known medical protocol for medications and treatment and was shocked that it had not been followed. He placed orders for medications that he wants me on, and said that he sends his patients home on baby aspirin twice daily for six weeks. I gave him incidences and some names, both good and bad, of happenings. He asked to use my story on the Joint and Hip Replacement Committee as he is part of a group that is trying to build the hospital as a high level hip and joint replacement center. He is also going to have some one call me to get a more in depth report.

The Home Health Nurse came and rebandaged me. She thinks the sutures are okay, but the left knee is quite red, but doesn't feel warmer than the right knee. She drew some markers on the skin, took another photo, and gave me what if instructions.

I think my lucky socks are going to get kind of gamey...


BTKR Scheduled for 12/28/2015
 
Hang in there. You really have been off to a rocky start. I hope everything finally is on the right path. Keep the list of problems available. The hospital probably has someone there to talk to. Sometimes they are called a patient advocate. Maybe your husband should call the hospital and ask for this person. Just think that what you tell them will help another person to avoid the same problems you had.
 
Thank goodness your OS got back to you at last!
If he had a system for covering for him while he was away, it failed miserably and I suspect he'll be saying his piece to his off-siders about that!

I'm glad he wants the ways you were let down documented. I hope that makes things better for another person treading your path.

Let's hope your lucky socks continue to work their magic!
 
Hooray for being heard at last! You have had a terrible time and fortunately you are well-spoken enough to help your doctor and hospital understand your experience and hopefully make it better for the next person. It is the age of social media, and experiences like yours could go viral and harm an institution's reputation.

Sorry to hear about the bandage and redness - let's hope that settles down quickly. When one of my sons was very young he insisted on wearing the same Superman shirt every day, so we had to sneak it off him at night to wash it - maybe your husband can do the same for your lucky socks :heehee:
 
I had my first Outpatient PT session this morning. My PT was surprised that I could walk reasonably well with a cane. Both knees were at 100/0 at 3-1/2 weeks. I told him that my main complaint was a ""tiredness" in my hamstrings at the knees that makes it uncomfortable sleeping. My legs feel very restless. He told me to try to sleep with my legs straight, and he gave me some gentle stretches to do along with a couple of gentle strengthening exercises for the quads. He said my main goal right now is to heal and get the swelling out of the knees. The PT told me that I am lucky to have great genes. He said he has only had one or two other patients in his career that have healed as quickly. Hopefully, I will be fortunate enough to continue forward, but am mentally prepared if I hit a rough patch again. I told him that I think what helped me was that I had so much swelling initially that I literally had to pee every hour 24/7 for the first two weeks. . He said he does not want me walking any distance, only around the house and yard--no Costco or malls. No worries there. I am trying to stay out of crowds to minimize the chance of flu and/or colds. My body is dealing with enough at this point. Will be happy when the steri strips fall off. All-in-all, this session of PT was helpful and not stressful.


BTKR -12/28/2015
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom