Hello everyone,
Just thought I would check in, it's been a while. I went back to work on Marc h 31. I work at a desk, and I do insurance payment posting on patient's accounts at a hospital. It has been a crazy time since I have gone back to work with this Covid19 going on. My mind has kind of stop focusing on my TKR recovery and I've been focusing more on work.
So its been 17 weeks since I had my right TKR. Things are going ok, but it seems I have kind of reached a stand still, not a lot of improvement has happened in the last few weeks.
I am extremely stiff all the time. Not just that knee but my whole body, knee being the worst. I get up in the morning and walking to the bathroom is a struggle. Once I am up for a little bit the stiffness gets better but never goes away completely. I sit all day at my job, if I sit more that an hour at a time, Its difficult to get up and walk right at first. If we are having a meeting , standing in one place for more than 20 minutes or so, I have a lot of pain. When I go to work, I'm stiff so walking across the parking lot is hard (employees have certain spots they can park in, and they are far from the door), when I get done with work, I am sooooooo tired that walking to my vehicle is difficult. I am always soooo exhausted every night I'm in bed by 8 pm every night.
I still have a feeling of tightness on the outer part of my knee. It was all the way around my knee cap like a rubberband around the knee cap, not around the leg, but in a circle around the knee cap. Now it has gone down to just the outer right side of the knee. So that is some improvement! But I am still taking aleve, tylenol, or ibuprofen every day. Not all at once of course! LOL
I try to walk around the block every evening, but I don't always get that done because of my exhaustion. I just want to sit on the couch and relax. No energy left by the end of the day. How do I get myself moving. The stiffness doesn't really affect my ROM, I can straighten and bend my knee fine, its just more stiff at times, and takes an effort to straighten and bend sometimes.
Also I was shocked at how much this surgery affected me mentally. There was a time during my first 12 weeks of recovery where I was very depressed, angry, disappointed, and feeling worthless. It really hit me hard. In a lot of ways I wasn't really expecting. My son and I ended up in a big argument with him telling me I didn't appreciate what he was doing for me, and that I was making him feel like he wasn't doing enough. (which I am sorry that is partially true). He did well helping me for about 2 weeks and then after that I was pretty much on my own (or got help from my significant other after he got home from work). The argument with my son ended up with him leaving(he was living with us at the time, with no job) in a big huff and puff and moving out within 2 hours and left the state. He wouldn't answer my texts or my calls for over 2 weeks, so I had no idea where he was, where he went or even if he was ok. We finally talked a couple weeks ago and that is when I found out he felt I didn't appreciate him and what he was doing.
So anyways, I guess I wrote all that to let people know that this surgery affects you mentally almost as much as physically. Be sure to have a way to keep you mentally healthy through all of this. Have people you can talk with on a daily basis, come on this forum!!! and don't be ashamed to say you are having emotional problems during your recovery. I was embarassed to say anything before now. I always was proud of myself for being a strong person, and this surgery brought me to my knees real quick. Don't feel bad that you can't do everything for yourself and have to ask for help. And if someone who said they would help, gets angry with you about that, don't take it personally and find someone else to lean on. Having physical and mental support during this is more important then you think, especially if you feel you can do everything yourself and refuse to depend on anyone else.
If anyone has any advice about working through this stiffness and exhaustion I would really appreciate it. I know part of the answer is to exercise. But I am really struggling with energy to be able to do so. Please help!?