Guest viewing is limited

Suffering

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a horrible thing to say to anyone in your situation - but her mother! :doh: Words fail me!
 
Hi C4
Even with a steady supply of pain meds, I still get days where I am so sore and tired.:skp: If I overdo things, the pain meds aren't enough... so rest, rest and try and rest some more... don't let your daughters yelling upset you... she was most likely really frustrated as you have always been strong and able and that's the way your family is used to you being. It's only 12 days until your surgery... and the time will fly by:thmb:
 
C4,
One of the hardest parts of all this is dealing with our children. I have 2 college age daughters. and there have been many activities I couldn't participate in during the past few years because of arthritic hips. I had to carefully choose what was really important, like helping move into a dorm, and take rain checks on other activities. Now I want to get better so I can do more with them down the road without the excuse of not being able to walk or sit anywhere very long. So here I am on hip #1 and I feel so guilty that I can't cook, clean, etc. They help but there is a limit and they have their lives to get on with also. I'm sure there are times when they wish I was not doing this and get frustrated. But kids bounce back and probably are developing character through this experience. Everyone says I should not even entertain for one moment a feeling of guilt when I ask them to "serve" me. Afterall, I have sacrificed a lot for them in raising them. But you know, as moms that is so hard. I am divorced so I don't have a hubby to help out. I know I will get through this and I will be glad for new working hips that will take me on the journey of the rest of my life.
 
Cfour....please try not to feel any guilt with that thoughtless comment by your daughter. I agree with Sylvia that she was probably frustrated with the horses. Youth means you are not always clever in your comments. This time she wasn't.

You are watching out for yourself right now which is exactly what you need to do. She is young and strong and she will be fine...experiencing frustration and working through it is a healthy, character-building thing!
 
Cfour,
I agree with the others that your daughter was probably just frustrated and lashed out at you because of it. She surely must know deep down that you are barely getting by right now. I'm glad your surgery date is not far off!!!

None of you should feel guilty for getting your children to help you. Kids can be so self-centered and tend to think the world revolves around them - it's good for them to learn otherwise. I know how I was, even in college, very much that way. I was surprised how hard my kids (and husband) thought it was to step into my duties for a few weeks, especially as we had lots of meals brought over and someone to help clean a few times. Made me think I had them a bit spoiled in some areas, LOL! :wink: Now things are back to normal now, but a better normal because I can already do so much more. And I think it was really good for them to fend for themselves for a bit. :thmb:
 
Today went better. I had her drive the truck down to the gates...then I only had to hobble a short distance to help get the horses in the right paddocks.:thmb:

The therapeutic riding center emailed and wants to lease my horse through at least late Oct. if not for years.

I told them the summer would be better because I plan on riding for PT myself come mid Sept.

They said I could ride her at their facility...it is much farther from home though...I do not know, but I must decide today because they want to see my horse tomorrow....ahhh:shk:

C4
 
Cfour....that could be a good thing for you. If you leased the horse to them then you could ride whenever you wanted to and you wouldn't have to work at the stable to pay for boarding. It sounds like you would be money ahead even with the longer drive.
 
It has it' pluses...but it does separate my daughter and I from riding together, we still have to go daily to work off board on my daughter's horse.

I also found out that our horse would be turned out with 10 other horses at the therapeutic riding center!!:shk:

I have made sure in boarding situations to have private or semi private turn outs.

I have had too many injuries and have seen many injuries from a kick in the leg, not to mention they get bitten up in the pecking order.

The center does not have anything invested in our horse...even if they paid for an injury I would not necessarily get a sound horse back...

I would be more willing to lease if they would accommodate this one stipulation of mine, but they will not budge on the turn out situation.

C4
 
Sounds like some logical things to think about, Cfour.....I know you will make the right decision.
 
Hi C4
This sounds like it's adding to your stress load... I don't like the sound of your horse being turned out with so many other horses either. Is it financially possible to just say No and not have to worry about your horse getting hurt, or having other bad experiences!!! It does sound like they already have enough horses and there must be other people that horses they are willing to lease to the centre.

I'm sure you will make the right decision also, but do give it lots of thought..
 
I told the therapeutic center that I would consider a summer lease with a more private turn out situation. The people were supposed to come @ 2:00 to see her but they never showed up.

Just as well, my mare has a swollen right front leg today where she long ago had broken her seasamoid bone.

The grand children came and visited us and got "pony rides" on our horse, then I bathed her, hosed her leg and hope to clip her tomorrow.

I have her an anti-inflamatory for her leg and hope it helps.

I must get all of our animals groomed before surgery in 10 days.....

c4
 
I'm hoping you can manage to keep her in a better situation, this riding centre doesn't seem committed, but you've given them every opportunity to show they are responsible.

At my sisters place with the foals the 2 mares that were in the grassy area were kindof at each other. Well, the chestnut was after the other one. The other one had been in a herd situation before and seems to be ok with it, sassy on the other hand wanted to be queen of her domain and wouldn't even let the other mare drink!:sct:. Needless to say they weren't let out with the foals together unless they were supervised.

Chris
 
I emailed the people from the therapeutic riding center and told them I would be willing to lease through the summer if there were better turn out arrangements.
They never showed up yesterday or called. Fine with me but rude...the horse has a swollen leg from where she had broken a seasamoid bone yrs. ago. She is bearing weight and walking....but looks like she will need to heal too!
I loved the pics of the horses you posted!!


C4
 
C4, I just realised I never told you about my friend Beatrice. She was about 60 and lived in a third story apartment where she and I were neighbours. She'd been seeing a doctor at the hospital for her painful hips for a few years and then a neighbour said to me "Isn't it a pity that Bea's daughter is having to mortgage her house to get her hip done as our local hospital won't do it."

I was horrified as I knew this
the hospital, where I worked, was less than ½ a mile away and we had one of the premier hip surgeons in the south east of England! So I rang her to check that this was true. Yes it was and what was more, she was going to a really mediocre surgeon near where her daughter lived.

I got her to see my chap and he said he'd get her in to do her hip. When she was admitted for surgery a few weeks later, he said "Actually, your other hip as almost as bad. If you like, I'll do them both for you!"

So she had them both done and within a few months she was out and about again and going to her favourite tea dances - ballroom dancing again! How awesome is that!

She always gave me a big hug whenever we met because she said if it hadn't been for me poking my nose in, not only would she only have got only one hip done but her daughter would have had a huge mortgage to pay as well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom