Guest viewing is limited

Straight knee after knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swami , it sounds like your mom is severly under medicated . And improperly elevated and not iceing nearly enough , especially since shes under medicated. Josephine sent you the photo illustration of proper elevation. What I did was elevate AND ice atleast 16 hours a day my first 2 weeks. I arguably elevated and iced more than any thread I have read on bonesmart. And I never missed a dosage of medication. I did however stop my oxycontin after 5 days but I had tramadol, celebrex and tylenol and those three kept my pain to more than a 4 during the dark days. A exercise I prefer is to bend my knee/leg on stairs. Have her stand before atleast 2 stairs, put her foot up on 1 step and gently bend back and forth. Of course after exercise she should immediately elevate and ice. Let me put it like this. Imagine mom running a marathon , however during the race she will need fluids and protein bars etc. Thats what ice and elevation is to a recovery. However your mom has other issues which could be hindering her recovery, such as her back . Well Swami , I only wish my mom was still around I would undoubtedly be helping her. Keep up the great work . Read all the mantras .!!
 
THE article? There are lots of them in my earlier post. Those are the ones I was referring to.
I read most them but I have increased ice packing time and doing elevation with longer time
This is the reason she is in so much pain. It's not enough. Did you understand the chart I left?
Yes. I have increased Tramdol But Could I know will it have any side effect?
 
To what have you increased it? It's a very good pain med as far as side effects are concerned. We use it a lot in the UK. You need to check on the box exactly what the doctor has recommended in terms of dose and timing. Usually it says "1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours". At this stage, she needs 2 every 4 hours. She will probably be very sleepy as a consequence but that's okay. She could probably do with the rest! But she can take it with the paracetamol which is what I suggested before. Did you understand that? This chart

Tramazac is Tramadol and DOLO is paracetamol
[Bonesmart.org] Straight knee after knee replacement


The most common side effect is her getting constipated! So she needs to do something about that Constipation and stool softeners . It will be worse for her if you don't increase it - she will not make good progress if she is in pain all the time.
 
Thanks... I got it... I have started giving Tramazac in morning also. if it's require I gave in afternoon. One more thing, Physiotherapist suggest me put knee braces/belt in knee for 1 hours. As per his suggestion, it will helpful to straight her knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physiotherapist suggest me put knee braces/belt in knee for 1 hours

Not understanding how this would help. It sounds painful; especially if by being in a brace for that long it starts to hurt and she is not able to remove the brace. What is her degree of extension now? (It would be like -5 or -6 or 10, etc. ) And what was it prior to surgery?

She is only 8 weeks out of surgery. Her knee is swollen and forcing it to do things now will make it swell even more. @Josephine gave good advice when she said to stop doing those things; please reread her posts on the first page.

We do have members who took many many months to over a year to get full range of motion, both straightening and bending. Hopefully, one will be along to discuss their story with you.


 
hmm Before surgery her knee was also bend and we got suggestion from Physiotherapist and recommended 3 to 4 times. Ya she is feeling lot of pain and because of pain she is also not able walk. I understand suggestion which got from previous post. and started some of implementation.I feel I am in middle of something where I know couple of thing . when I discuss with Physiotherapist and got other thing. it would be better if I could discuss in call and get more thing..anyway it's silly opinion. I think I got lot of information and need to implement and wait for result.
 
First things first, @goswami - get her pain under control. Everything else is less important.
 
I have started giving Tramazac in morning also. if it's require I gave in afternoon.
Goswami, you have completely missed the point. You don't wait until it's required, you give it to her routinely, before she gets any pain. Because she needs it all the time. You are being very unkind by not giving her enough to meet her needs.

You saw the chart - follow the timetable. Just PLEASE try it for a couple of days and see how much difference it makes.
 
What seems to work best is to take the pain medication on a regular schedule in the early days. You can always reduce later. For now, keeping steady pain relief is very important.
 
Hi All,
Thanks for all who gave suggestion to reduce Pain for my mother. She has minimum pain and her knee also straight in some extent. Everything was fine till last Saturday But she has started pain in knee last Saturday. I also reduce some medicine as she was not feeling pain. I was giving Tramadol two times and Dolo 65 three times in day. In recently We have increase belt time in her kness to straight her legs and excercise. Today I did not put any belt in her knees and did not press by hand. As per Physiotherapist suggestion, I pressed her knee two to three times in day. Does it create any issue.? Today I suggest her not to do any exercise and take complete rest. Does it serious issue or normal issue? or Should I give more dose of Tramadol and DOLO 65 in day.
 
Of course you should give her more! You were very wrong to reduce it in the first place while she is still having exercises. And don't press on her leg so it hurts her - not AT ALL! That's just cruel.
 
You had a good idea to have her take a day to just rest. Sometimes that is just what is needed.
 
@ Josephine, As per your suggestion, it's cruel But In India, if I do not do, Doctor says to me you do not want to recover your mother. I did operation of My mother in Apollo Bangalore which consider one of the best hospital in india
 
So you risk making her recovery last a painful 6 months instead of more comfortable 3? That's a really compassionate doctor you have!
 
I had my first knee done in 2006 (December). It would not stay straight until October of the following year. All the Physical therapists and Doctors told me to be patient and do my exercises and that it would go straight. It took forever but one day I just noticed that my leg was locked and straight when I was brushing my teeth. It was amazing. It is so strong and good now. Be patient and stay positive.
 
hmm After Initial discussion with Doctor, I have stopped all Physiotherapy for my mother. She is doing very minimal exercise .I have decided not to put much pressure and really she is feeling better and me too.
 
So glad your mother is feeling better! Follow the bonesmart advice she will do well. Slow and steady. Good luck!
 
I followed our mother hen Josephine advise, her answers are crisp and to the point. I am really happy with this forum. I have done my both the knees and proud to say that I can walk 3 miles everyday without pain. The Drs just do surgery and we have to figure out other things ourselves. Don't know how I would have done without this forum. Please follow her advise and you will never regret, I took it easy very little PT and total rest, medicines on time and life is good. I am from Bangalore and relocated to Houston 25 yrs ago.
 
Thanks for providing long support. My mother got relief from Pain but she is feeling mild pain in knee when she tries to sit on bed or try to stand from bed. Does it normal issue? I checked with Doctor, he advise it will be reduce slowly in one to two month
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom