Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

Great to hear from you!
I think the pacemaker is a good idea.
 
Wonderful to hear from you, I think you will be much happier with a pacemaker.
((((HUGS))))
 
@RestAssured Oh Sonja,I am sorry you are having these problems. I am going through the same thing with my husband. He has A-Fib and CHF. He was recently sent out for a pacemaker but the cardiovascular specialist did an cardio ablation instead. It could take up to three months for the full effects with the healing. He does need to go for a cardioversion because it slipped back into A-Fib.....And his heart rate goes off the wall at times.
 
Sonja, so good to hear from you, but I'm sorry to hear you're still having heart problems. It sounds like a pacemaker could help you. I'll be curious to hear how it all works out for you. I have a friend who just found out that her meds aren't doing the trick either and she's not a candidate for ablation. Keep us up to date!
 
I worked most of my time on a cardiac floor and a pacemaker sounds like a good idea. It's actually a simple procedure and once your rate is set you will be able to go home. They do limit you on activity for a little bit while you heal. You should feel much better.
 
Sonya, I am all too familiar with Afib. It was a common condition when I first worked in EMS. The drug of choice in those days was digoxin. My mother had shorts bouts of it but it always went away on its own. I have a friend who recently tried everything to promote overall good health in an attempt to avoid further intervention, but ultimately he has ended up with a pacemaker. You've been through far greater health challenges so this should be a walk in the park! Hopefully it's just the ticket.
 
Sonja so sorry to hear. I have a friend with a pacemaker and he is very pleased with it. Great news for the knees! You definitely don't need to deal with more than one problem at a time.
 
@RestAssured Oh Sonja,I am sorry you are having these problems. I am going through the same thing with my husband. He has A-Fib and CHF. He was recently sent out for a pacemaker but the cardiovascular specialist did an cardio ablation instead. It could take up to three months for the full effects with the healing. He does need to go for a cardioversion because it slipped back into A-Fib.....And his heart rate goes off the wall at times.
Yes, I have been through 3 ablations, 7 cardioversions, and am on heavy meds . I don't know what we will do next. I am currently on Tikosyn, digoxin, and metaprolol

One problem the doctor and I have discussed is infection with the pacemaker, so we are trying everything else first.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard that infection is a common occurrence at all with pacemakers.

I think you need the pacemaker much more than you need to worry about the risk of infection. I think the existing A-fib is much more of a risk to your health than is the potential danger of infection.

As Pumpkln said, ask Dr Maale.
 
It's an excellent suggestion to contact Dr. Maale. I tend to think your heart functions should take priority over everything. All those medications take a toll on you too and it would be so good if you could reduce or eliminate at least some of them by having something to regulate your heart. But....that's just my totally uneducated opinion. I know you are talking with the experts and that's a good thing.
 
I had a pacemaker fitted just 2 1/2 months after my primary TKR. It works very well although I'm now pacemaker dependant. I always try to remember heart comes first as my TKR causes me far more problems than my pacemaker. For my revision surgery the consultant contacted my heart specialist and as far as I know a magnet was placed over my pacemaker to maintain the rhythm. I've also undergone cancer treatment since I've had my pacemaker. I've felt much better since I've had it fitted.
Hope this helps a little. All the best on whatever you decide.
Sue.
 
Hello Hello Hello!:happydance:

I had my left TKR 7 years ago in March, and in 1 month the day that forever changed my life... the revision of my right knee 5 years ago! Gosh, it is so nice not to worry about the knees! :dancy:

Now, moving onto the heart... good news also! The rhythm is back to normal w Tikosyn, Metaprol, and a digoxen combo. My heart has been in rhythm for over 2 months now and that makes me happy!

One of the problems that mimics heart problems is intercystal lung disease. I am on a high dose of prednisone for a month, then will start tapering it back. It has been just three days and I can breathe without oxygen for most of the day!:yahoo:

I had been gasping for air just walking down the hallway! Life is starting to look SO much better and I am ready! Haven't been able to exercise yet... listening to my body this time!:loveshwr:
 
It's good to hear that you're starting to feel a bit better, Sonja. :friends:
 
Sonja, my husband has all sorts of rhythmic problems with his hear. He has had a debfibrillator/pacemaker for over 10 years. It has saved his life multiple times.

Bob is also taking Tykesein, metropolol and digoxin---along with other meds too. He is struggling now, but has lived a long life with the meds and his IED.

I hope you can get past all of this too. It must be hard to maintain your weight with all of this---although it is hard to eat when you don't have enough air!!
 
Back
Top Bottom