TKR Still Riding the TKR Wave

Hi @martyz4
I forgot to say, my physio advised me to massage my scar with Bio oil.
I have been.
Cheers,
Deb
 
@happymum Deb
@martyz4

Bio -oil
I have used this after previous surgeries and like its non-greasy feel and quick absorbency.
With this TKR, my OS and hospital PT recommended Bio-oil after the staples were removed and wound closed.,
Bio -oil also recommended by the staff in the rehab centre and my own 1-1 PT.

A few weeks ago my local pharmacy had a special 2 for the price of 1 offer -happy days.

On another forum, @dogwheels also recommended any moisturiser, as her PT told her that Bio-oil caused irritation.

I also use it once or twice a week on my face as a night time treatment.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora is correct - my physio advised against Bio oil as they have found it causes irritation in some people. Her comment was that she personally didn't recommend it to her patients as she didn't want to take the risk that they may have a reaction - the last thing you want is an itchy irritated scar. She said it was expensive and should not be used in early stages. She recommended that I started using OTC antiseptic cream to massage the scar quite early. Once all was healed she said that any moisturiser would do the job.

I still massage the scar - even at 7+ months - I was advised to work the area from about 5 weeks onwards, to break up the layers of scar tissue. I am pleased to say that it is hardly noticeable now, just a neat straight line and as I had no staples or external stitches, no further marks.

Good luck with your knees, ladies!

X
 
It really isn't necessary to put anything on your scar. It will heal naturally and you do not need to massage it to break up adhesions.

If you must use anything, don't do it until the skin has completely healed. This article from the library may help to explain:
Scar tissue and adhesions - what's the difference?
Take particular notice of Josephine's last paragraph.
 
@Celle

Hello Caryl,

Thanks for your post and link to article, it's always good to have information from those with more experience.

I concentrate my massage on the back of my knee to help with the excess fluid and swelling there and lightly on top of the scar. I mainly work on the area around the scar on the surrounding knee area.
My PT had shown me how to massage and with what pressure and areas to avoid.

Best wishes for your LTKR on 18September.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
My skin was very dry after the surgery. I used a nice thick moisturizer--Cera Ve which I use anyway as it is not irritating--on the knee away from the scar until the incision was closed. having some kind of lotion makes it easier to lightly massage the tissues.
 
Hi Bone Smarties :)
I have felt more like myself this last week ( week 10) and have been hitting the lounge much later in the day. Just naturally felt like doing more as i have been in less pain.......... BUT
The last couple of nights I've had a deep bone pain in my shin dowm near my ankle. It happens when I'm resting. Slept horribly last night! I don't know if it's because my knee, leg, foot have all been straightened and I'm doing more walking now at this time.
I'm thinking I have to stop and back up and rest more? Hmmmm confusing this recovery caper.
Hope this day finds everyone feeling better x
 
Hi Deb @happymum

You seem to be one step forward with being more like yourself and doing more with more energy.
And then one step in the other direction with the deep pain in your shin down near your ankle.

I sometimes, very infrequently get a pain in my shin bone, mine is right under my knee, so figure it is part of the implant settling in. And can get uncomfortable when trying to find a comfortable position for sleeping
Like you, it started as I got more active.

As your is down near your ankle, I'm not sure what is the cause. Perhaps it is a nerve from the knee to that area that is being affected and causes the deep pain that you are experiencing.

As you know, someone in the BoneSmart family will have this experience or an answer for you.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks
@marmora you are so caring, thank you :) yes it is rather perplexing but I am more sure now that it is to do with my new style of walking. I have parred down my activity and it has settled. I noticed my shin is a little swollen too.Grrrr I want to do more but I will be patient.
Cheers. :)
 
@happymum You sound like you're moving along very good. I hate when we think we have this in the bag and then something else pops up. I too am in the same boat. I have this nagging crack that happens sporadically. Also when I lay down at night I have some really bad pain at one point getting comfortable on my right side. I don't know if it's gravity of my left leg getting on top of my right one but something hurts for just a few minutes if that, then goes away. You might call the doc and ask about that pain when resting just to make sure all is okay, may ease your mind a bit.

I hope all you ladies and gents are doing well and mending.
 
Hello Deb @happymum

Just stopping by to say hello and hope that shin pain is lessening for you.

This recovery has so many ups and downs both physically and emotionally.

Take care and keeping you in my thoughts,
Cathie
 
Hi @marmora Cathie ;)
You are too lovely and caring, thanks for stopping by to say hello. I have been feeling blah so I haven't said much. How have you been?
My shin pain has settled. I was at physio yesterday where we decided my calf and ankle is generally swollen. The physio massaged my leg and measured rom. (95) She thinks my ligament and soft tissue in my calf and ankle are sore because of my new gait and knee and or it's my arthritis also.
What position are you in when your rom is taken? I am laying on my back. I just wondered if there are different ways to measuring.
My knee in the last week has had that horrible tight band feeling so I have been trying to do less
Blah blah blah :(
Maybe I will feel happier soon. I do hope that you are having a better week than me Cathie. Xx
Love Deb
 
Hi Deb @happymum
Hope that your blahs are getting better. :gaah:

The new gait with your existing arthritis are probably effected your shin bone pain.

As the song goes, "The thigh bone is connecting to the shine bonemeal the shine bone is connected to the toe bone,..."

Had my PT measure my Flexion and today at 8 weeks post-op is 95 degrees.

In Ireland, well in hospital, in the rehab centre & with my PT, it is measured with me sitting on the edge of the treatment couch and me pushing my TKR leg as far back under the table as I can and then they use the measurement tool.

Never had it measured they way you have had. I might ask my PT to measure it that way next week and see if I get a difference result.

My knee continually had that tight band feeling at several points during the day.
After walking, after PT, after most activities. It's frustrating, as the tight band feeling stops the knee Flexion.

On second thought, I'm going to borrow one of your Blahs -if you don't mind ! :loll:

Take care,
Cathie
 
Hi Cathie, @marmora
Um I recon if I got my rom measured the Irish way it would be heaps more! I can get more bend when I have it dangling and pushing on it! This makes me feel much happier I may have to fly on over to you!
Yep your knee sounds similar to mine, thanks so much for the reassurance xx
 
Hi Deb ... Room for another "blah" person?????? I am sorry you have been feeling "blah" though. This TKR recovery business certainly is a roller coaster ride. When I go to bed at night I feel like I may have made some gain with flexion, but it is all gone in the morning when I get out of bed and seems like I have to work all day to get back to where I was the night before. Not even one step forward and two back - more like marking time on the spot.

Interestingly, I too get a pain in my shin, but mine is more like a sudden sharp "boing" which sort of "echoes" for a short while and then goes. My shin does have a bruise on it though, but I don't think it is swollen. The shin has been bruised and tender since the op - maybe the OS or his assistant was holding it too tight? :heehee:

It is interesting to see how many ways there are to measure flexion. My OS will just eyeball it when I go back for my 6 week check-up and with my left leg, the PT used to eyeball it as well. I have a theory that when they know it is not going to be 90 or over, they will just estimate. No point in making the disappointment official with measuring it. That's my theory anyway.

I truly hope that tomorrow brings a "blah" less day for you. I will check in on your thread and see.

Sending best wishes, love and hugs for much less of the "blahs" and more of the sunshine. Ellen
 
Hi Ellen, @NetballKnees
You are so lovely :angel: Thanks for calling in x
Well you will be glad to know that I have been feeling less Blah and more Yay! You are right, we do certainly take one step back and then one forward. I have been having a few good less painful days. I have also dropped off one of my stronger painkillers and I have been okay.
Your pain in the shin sounds like mine, I have bruise also. Mine had gone away (touch wood). I hope yours does too. I look back know and think about how I was feeling when I flew down for my six week check with the OS and I realize I was in so much more pain! I am 12 weeks this week so six weeks makes a huge difference in TKR recovery.
I'm so glad that you got some more pain relief prescribed, I'm still taking Panadol osteo and slow release Tramadol. I also ice and elevate most of the afternoons.
Congrats on the impending bubby, how beautiful for you and your family, so sorry that your dog has toothache.
I hope your friends have been making themselves known, if not do what I do and ask them over!
Reading your post, I was happy to hear the little gains you are making. I take all my little gains and celebrate them because I think over time and combined they are our recovery. I'm over waiting for a big gain.
So glad to hear from you, take care and wishes to you for more Yay days.
Love Deb
 
Hello Deb @happymum
Hello Ellen @NetballKnees

Hello Australia from Dublin,

Hoping that none of us are experiencing the blahs today.

Busy few days from last Thursday to Sunday with son & DIL over from Norway and pre-Wedding/ Wedding Day /Post-Wedding day activities and son & DIL back to Norway on Sunday evening, so only catching up with posts this morning.

9.5 weeks post op - Flexion at a push 100 degrees and at a comfortable 95 degrees and extension still at -8 degrees. Still a lot of stiffness, waking up during the night at least 1 time, usually two, OS and GP will only prescribe 2 Solpediene (500 mg Paracetamol & 8 mg Codeine) every 8 hours.

They do seem to help manage the pain, but nothing seems to help the stiff knee feeling and the tight band that feels like someone is taking your blood pressure, but only on your knee.

Getting frustrated at the slowness of my recovery, but do see progress, but slow progress.
What will be, will be and must accept that it will take as long as it takes to get back to 'normal' or close to it in the next few months.

Take care Deb & Ellen,
Cathie
 
Hi Everyone,
My knee has been sorer than usual this week but I did go away last week and I missed my afternoon rests on the lounge. I rested at night with ice instead.
Any who this week I have pain right down to my foot, is this common? I am 13 weeks post op and had blood leak into my joint space post op.
Thank you and kind regards,
Deb
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Deb, Good Evening/Night in Australia @happymum
From Dublin at 10:00 am Thursday morning,

Haven't posted on your own thread in a while, as I've seen you on others' threads.
So, good to be back on yours, I've re-read your post from day one to this morning's post.

You're 13 weeks post-op and I'm 11 weeks, just behind you.

I didn't have a blood leak behind the joint or RA or the extensive re-alignment of my leg like you and still when I over do it get a pain from around my hip - then the normal knee discomfort & stiffness - then shin to ankle pain.

That is a hard to describe pain a combination of a numb feeing and discomfort and massage or ice or even a heating pad seem to provide relief. It just goes away when it wants to.

Your pain seems to be related to being away and maybe not resting as much and doing more.
It could be related to your leg now being more straight.

I find the most difficult exercise I have to do to straighten the muscles & ligaments at the back of my leg, as it has been bent for a number of years and when I work on extension exercises it is very painful. Because I am trying to straighten the bend.

That could be the reason for your pain, the knee and leg wasn't straight before the TKR and now it is straight.

What ever the cause, I wash you comfort and pain relief and keep doing what you are doing my friend.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@happymum I have been reading your posts and thank you for sharing your journey. I am 13 days from being on the recovery side and it helps to know what to expect during the recovery. I am learning patience will be my biggest obstacle to overcome and there will be good days as well as blah days.
@NetballKnees off to find your recover thread.
I hope you all have a very good and blah less day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom