TKR Still Riding the TKR Wave

Hi Nanny49,
Well I hope the Drs can see something on the X-rays that they can treat and get the swelling to settle down.
So sorry to hear that you are still in pain after 2 years. Yay for you on the brilliant bend you achieved.
So sorry to hear about your arthritis. I had only one bent knee which is now fixed. My other knee is bone on bone but straight.
I am aero negative too - nothing shows up in my bloods.
Best wishes @Nanny49
 
Deb all the best in your recovery!!! I guess we all need patience, sounds like your moving along fine, we are all different, the end result is what counts. One day at a time. :ice::alarm:
 
Hi @martyz4, thank you so much for your lovely thoughts. Yes we are all moving along the road to recovery.
I notice you are only a few days ahead of me in your recovery. How are you going? I send healing wishes to you toox
Cheers from Deb
 
Hello :)
Just thought I would record what's happening in week 9. I have moved on to rom of 95 woot woot. I can ride on my exercise bike for 2 lots of six minute bursts. I am still doing my hospital physio exercises at home on the days that I don't go to the pool for physio.
I'm still taking pretty much all of my pain meds and I'm icing and resting most of the afternoon.
I am doing light housework and have also added walk to the shops some days and coffee morns with my girls.
I did overdo the shopping this morning though and have had shooting pains into my calf and ankle. ( as you all are aware not pleasant)
My knee and leg swelling is ever so slowly subsiding and the bruising is fading but is still very much there in calf, ankle and around knee.
I miss jet skiing, snorkeling and boating with my husband. I'm still not sleeping all that well 2.30 when I finally was comfortable last night.
Good luck everyone and god bless in your recovery x
 
You're showing good improvements. Remember that full recovery will take a while longer but each milestone is :friends:
 
@happymum
Hello,
Love being able to put your picture with your name.

Think your progress at week 9 is great. :thumb:

Keep up the good work and the coffee mornings with the girls are very important for lifting the spirit !

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks girls for the support. Onwards I go!
 
Mine was June 30th so we are pretty close. You are doing great!! Do you still take the pain pills? I can't believe all the stuff you do, :wowspring: Onward and upward!!!
 
Hi @martyz4,
Thanks. I certainly am still taking my pain meds. Too sore to do stuff without. :) I am not working so I spend my afternoons icing and elevating. Some nights I sleep ok sometimes not. I wish my bend would increase otherwise yes I am quite happy with my new knee so far.
How are you going with it all?
Cheers from Deb
 
@martyz4 @happymum / Deb

We are within a few weeks of each other (30 June, 2 July, 17 July).

Deb, like you need the pain meds, but my last day of Tylex 2 every 8 hours (50mg Codeine & 500mg Paracetamol) finish today and I am a bit concerned, as the pain is at a constant 2-3 level and then goes up to 5-6 after exercise, walking. Will see how I get on over the weekend.

Bend is slow at 95- 100 degree Flexion and extension at 8.
So, still a slow process to increase both. Use my cane when out of the house, but ok without the cane within the house. See the OS again on 2 October.


Hope that both of you have a good weekend,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @marmora Cathie,
2 weeks makes a big difference in our TKR world. I was very similar to what you describe 2 weeks ago. I did not have such pain after exercise though. I am very lucky to have full medication scripts on exactly what I was taking in hospital at the time I left. ( i stayed in hospital for 3 weeks) You may need to get refills Cathie ;)
I hope you have a relaxing and healing weekend x
 
@happymum
Hi Deb,

Yes even a day apart can make a difference.

I stayed in hospital for 7 days and then transferred to a rehab centre mainly for TKR and THR for 2 weeks, so similar to your hospital stay.

In addition to my 1-1- PT I am also attending a Group PostTKR PT at the hospital where we had our surgery. Some are 12 weeks, some 10 weeks and a few of us are 6 & 7 weeks post-op and are all progressing at our own levels.

Unfortunately, I am not as fortunate as you with your pain medication, at the moment my OS and GP/PCP aren't easy to agree to refill prescriptions

My OS and my GP/PCP have said that at this stage when my Tylex finishes with my nighttime tablet tonight, that Solpadeine 2 tablets three times/ day (Paracetamol 500mg, 8mg Codeine, 30 mg Caffeine) should do me for this Saturday to Tuesday.

On Wednesday reduce down to Paracetamol 500mg. 2 tablets three times a day.

I am going to be positive and try this and will contact my GP/PCP at the end of next week if the pain is not controlled.

It's interesting with different doctors, States, countries in terms of pain medication post TKR surgery.

Have a good weekend,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Deb ... thought I would visit you. You sound as if you are going really well. It is natural to want more bend. My left knee (done 10 months ago), only has a bend of 85-90 (on a good day) now. It is very disappointing to me as my favourite gym exercise was the bikes - recumbent, upright and RPM. I did all the cycle classes and loved it. However, I have not been able to do a full rotation on a bike since - just not enough bend. I was so happy to read your post about being able to do full rotations on the bike. Even if this knee is better than the other one where bend is concerned, I would probably not be able to ride anyway 'cos the first knee does not bend enough. I would end up riding like a one-legged duck - round and round.:rotfl:

It is early days yet - only 2 weeks - so who knows what levels I may be able to reach?

Coffee mornings with your girls must be wonderful. Uplifting for the soul ... and a few walks - fantastic. I long for the day when I can walk my dogs again. One or other of my sons or my daughter walk them, but not as often as I would and they do so love their walks.

How has the weather been in the west? We are having such lovely weather over here - perfect for Spring. Nights are still cool, which is great.

Take Care Deb and I will make sure I visit more often ... Hugs to a fellow Aussie ... Ellen
 
Hi Ellen,
Thank you for the lovely visit, I hope you are managing okay. Yes, we sure do wish for things that other people take for granted don't we? I was very excited about the bike because that was one thing I've never been able to do so it was rather thrilling to me. I can cycle for 12 minutes slowly. I am 95 rom.
I don't go to any gyms because of my arthritis, so I don't miss them :)
It won't be long and you will be walking your dogs enjoying your new knees. That is something to look forward to hey? What sort of dogs do you have?
I dream about just being able to walk on the beach with my husband. The last few years I have just really swam off the back of the boat and not even ventured off onto the sand of the beach as it is very uneven and made my knee very sore.
Yes having a coffee with girlfriends is always lovely and does shift your mind away from any little niggles of pain you might be putting up with. I do really enjoy the company now I'm not working too. I try to meet different friends a few times a week. I'm driving now so I have also been going to the local pool to do my physio, it's nice just getting out of the house! :)
The weather in north west Australia is glorious at the moment. The temperatures are in the low 30's so it is quite warm already.
Will finish here but I would like to send a few healing wishes and prayers your way Ellen, to give you strength over the next few weeks.
Love from Deb
 
Hi Cathie,
It is interesting how things vary from country to country. I do hope that you have been coping ok with the decrease in your meds. Let us know how you go. Mind you, I do have to start decreasing mine. I have, to some extent during the day. I have 2 weeks left of my full night time meds.
I hope you are enjoying your weekend besides and that your knee is bending well
Take care love Deb
 
I do have to start decreasing mine. I have, to some extent during the day.
Why? You're only 9 weeks out. I was taking my full whack of pain meds for almost 4 months - and needed them!
 
@happymum @marmora Hi ladies, everyone else here too. I am coming along fine. I was in the hospital for 2 days and left the 3rd of July. I was surprised at how long they keep you in over the sea. I have been off the meds since August 18th. I really didn't like them. My knee has it's moments but very tolerable.

I had a health setback last week where my stomach and abdomen were in severe pain ended up going to my doctor who gave me antibiotics said it could be gastritis or diverticulitis or some kind of bacteria?? After taking 3 doses I am feeling better but that threw me for a loop!!! I have 7 days of 2 antibiotics 2x's a day.

I feel a bit weak and didn't go to physical therapy last week. The week before I was doing 10 minutes on the bike and can go all the way around no problem.
I am still not sure I am out of the woods because I am still running :rofsign: to the bathroom. Has me a bit worried.

One thing I am curious about, does anyone's incision site still feel a bit sore. Mine doesn't hurt to touch or shave my legs but it stings a bit when I am laying down at night. Not red or swollen though.

I wish you all the very best in your journey. Many prayers for us all right!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @martyz4,
I hope your stomach settles with those antibiotics, not good! Stay hydrated and rest, rest. rest. :)
Yes my scar does do exactly what you describe, I have read here that it is normal. i expect it will settle in time.
I'm glad you can still use the exercise bike easily. :)
I consider myself very lucky to have stayed in hospital so long. You guys are fantastic to come out so quick!
Best wishes to you on a speedy recovery from your stomach issues and a continued good recovery for your knee.
Love from Deb
 
Hi Josephine, Hope this letter greets you in good health.
Stupid idea of mine to drop one sr painkiller off my night meds, my knee woke me a few times, so I wont be doing that again. I have 2 weeks left of the strongest painkiller and then I will have to go back and ask my GP for more.
Thanks for your continued help, I appreciate it greatly.
Best wishes, Deb
 
@martyz4 @happymum
Good morning,

My incision scar is not uncomfortable or stinging.

Sometimes, at night takes awhile to get a comfortable position at first to sleep, but it's not the incision, rather feels like the new joint trying to find a comfortable way.

Can sleep on my side and so times may use a very small pillow between my knees -sometimes don't need it.

@martyz4 - hope that the antibiotics are kicking in.
I know that when I'm on antibiotics I feel low energy and with you add in a a recent LTKR and your energy levels are bound to be zapped.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom