THR Still in Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello forum! If you followed my thread since April, 2015 you might be interested in the latest newsand thank you to all for your encouragement and well wishes! I had THR IN march 20, 2015. After 3 months Of recovery, I went back to work as a flight attendant. Unfortunately, in 3 weeks, I was back on a walker with severe soft tissue pain. After many tests, including CT, and bone scans, MRI, etc, My hip surgeon was convinced it was a spine problem. The spine doctors,however, disagreed, and all tests pointed to problems with my prosthetic. Unfortunately, my hip surgeon disagreed, and suggested I seek a 2nd opinion. I did seek many opinions and ended up having revision THR surgery this past. dec.29,2015. (7 days ago). This doctor is well known in this field, and from all the testing believed I had a LOOSE STEM. Of course, no doctor will talk bad about another doctor, so we don't know why it became loose. So last week, he lowered my plastic socket, and replaced my ball and stem. After surgery he told my husband that he made the leg longer, to even out with the right leg.All went well, and recovery has been easier than last time. BUT... When I stand straight and put weight on the new hip it is very noticeable that my good leg is swinging! the good leg is that much shorter. I called my doctor and his PA assured me that by the time 3 weeks will have passed, that it will even out! Even my PT guy yesterday made a funny face when he saw the difference in leg length. My PA mentioned some muscle is the reason....I need more info from her. HAS ANYONE HAD LEG LENGTH DISCREPANCIES? Of course, this being the 2nd time around on the same leg, I may be paranoid!
Let me know if this story is YOUR STORY! thanks!
 
So sorry you had to have a revision but it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
HAS ANYONE HAD LEG LENGTH DISCREPANCIES?
Yes, after my LTHR my right leg was 1/2 shorter than my left. I had to wear a lift in that shoe.

During my RTHR my surgeon corrected this difference. Over a year out I am still working on strengthening that leg that was (for 4 years) shorter.

The first thing I need to stress is that almost every new hippie feels a leg length difference. In many cases it is because your pelvis tilts pre-op while you try and stay off that sore hip. Post op the pelvis balances back. Here's a thread from our Library on this Leg length differential - LLD. In most cases this feeling disappears after 3-4 months.

I would talk to the PA about what muscle was affected. Later you may need to work with your PT on some strengthening in that leg. At your followup appointment with your surgeon ask to see your x-ray. They can do a measurement on the x-ray to determine if there is any LLD.

Please don't worry. All this takes a bit of time to settle.
 
Hello @sandydog - I am sorry hear that you had to have another THR. I cannot imagine going through that again so soon. I do have an LLD - one centimetre -and I waited for months to see if it would correct itself but I still needed a lift so in October I ordered some Finn Comfort sandals with a built in lift that I wear in the house. I got several lifts that I can put in my other shoes and boots and I was doing well until my puppy dog ran into me last week. I knew getting a puppy at my age was not a good idea. :dogwalk: But I could not imagine my hubby without a dog so I gave in. I honestly don't understand what causes the LLD. Incorrect measurement and wrong length of stem? When I first wake up my legs feel the same length but after I get tired I can feel the difference.
I do hope that it is a pelvis tilt with you and it all evens out. Sincerely, Diane
 
OMIG... I cant believe the time has flown by! My revision THR was dec. 29 in 2015 ( the same hip was replaced in march 2015) I just wanted to report that my hip is awesome! I finally stopped my slight limp,, last fall, a year after surgery. I never thought, The pain would go away, but my revision doctor was so confident...so I guess I started believing it too! they say we all know our own bodies...and its true...after that 1st hip replacement in march 2015, the pain started up 3 1/2 months after surgery, and I tried going back. to work, but could not. . My 1st hip surgeon made me feel like an idiot(from march 15) , when I kept going in for leg pain, and even rolled his eyes at me once. When a doctor in his own practice (a very respected spine surgeon) suggested my prosthetic was loose, my hip surgeon cut all ties with me, and refused to help me. One visit to my new recommended revision doctor, and on a simple xray, saw that my stem was loose, in the wrong position, and would probably be toggling after a 10 mimute walk. We scheduled my revision surgery, the following month.
I wanted to post this...so you keep getting 2nd and 3rd opinions! I sobbed that 1st visit with my revision doctor, because finally someone BELIEVED me. I am still a flight attendant and work lots of hours!,, so hang in there if you are in pain, educate yourself, have patience, and find that right doctor! This website was so informative, and was so grateful to chat with you all!
 
@sandydog, I am so happy you have recovered so well after the revision! And what an awful experience you had with your original surgeon, not taking your pain seriously, and then cutting off all ties after his colleague suggested the loose stem. That was so wrong of him! So unprofessional. I agree wholeheartedly about getting those second, even third, opinions when things don't improve. I had to go for a second opinion, and then use that second surgeon for a repair surgery. It is so worth it to keep searching for someone who can give a proper diagnosis and treatment plan!
 
Gosh - such a long haul for you. So glad you finally saw someone who took you seriously. Well done on staying persistent.
 
That is such good news! Good advice for people who have pain too. Thanks for sharing!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom