Guest viewing is limited

THR Still in Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi. to you all. I actually was under a different thread. (4 1/2 months) Just went to the doctor today to try to figure out why (once again) my hip and thigh pain have not improved since my last visit 30 days ago. Last week the CT SCAN showed the replacement as all normal. Everything has been ruled out now, as far as slippage, infection, fracture, etc. He has ordered up an MRI OF MY SPINE. Has anyone had this? My doctor is now looking for nerve damage, or disc? I am so frustrated and just so disheartened. I am back on short term disability and still walk with a cane for more than a block. My neighbor who is late 70's ( I am 60) passed me up walking and she has no pain, and no cane at 9 weeks post hip replacement surgery!. AARRGGHH
 
So sorry to hear that you are still having pain after your surgery and I HOPE you get some answers and a resolution very soon. I am happy to hear though that all is well with the replacement, that is great news. Your thread struck me because I fear since I have herniated discs, degenerative disk disease (arthritis in my spine), and a bit of stenosis and it is VERY difficult to tell what is my arthritic hip pain and my back pain, that I won't get as much relief as I'm hoping for from my LTHR that I'm having next week. I hope you get relief from the pain you are in.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Still in Pain
@sandydog, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

I have also changed your thread title to "Still in Pain" so that it is not time in recovery related. If you would prefer something else, just let us know and we'll gladly make the change for you.


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
He has ordered up an MRI OF MY SPINE. Has anyone had this? My doctor is now looking for nerve damage, or disc? I am so frustrated and just so disheartened.
I can imagine you are disheartened but it's very common to get back pain after an arthritic hip. Mostly like you have some arthritis in there somewhere. That's common too. Even if they do find a narrowing, a disc protrusion or some thing else, I suggest you try some chiropractic treatment. I've had mothy looking cervical vertebrae for years, and all sorts of 'problems' in my lower spine but my chiro keeps me on my feet and pain free. Wouldn't go anywhere else, certainly not to a surgeon!
 
Hi. Josephine. The MRI OF MY SPINE, is not for back pain. I have no back pain. The DR wants it done to see if there is a disc or nerve that is being affected, causing my hip and thigh pain. I told him i have no back pain.go figure...
 
Hi @sandydog I have degeneration in my lower spine, arthritis, with bone on bone and stenosis, picked up on MRI when I had 2 bulging discs. For 99% of the time, I had no back pain, but I had nerve blocks in my lower back last December, due to the pain in my thigh and hip...and knee.

The MRI will show if you too have a bulge in a disc pressing on the sciatic nerve or arthritis etc, as you say, even though you have no pain in your back..

If you do have these problems in your back, they will really know for sure that they do not need to worry that the pain is from your new hip, so will concentrate on your back instead.

In my case, I had another MRI after the back injection, this time of my hips, it showed end stage arthritis hence the bilateral hip replacement.

The spinal surgeon had to discharge from his care, until I got the hips sorted out, as the hip problem was causing very similar pain to the back problem, so they ended up not knowing what was causing the pain in the thigh and hip.

As it turned out, it was both.

I hope that makes sense as I do tend to waffle !

I forgot to say, I am nearly 11 weeks post op and xrays showed nothing wrong with my new hips, but I still had pain in my thigh all the way to the knee and at the side by the new hip. It turned out to be muscle/soft tissue pain, caused by the way the legs are pulled about during surgery and muscle wastage from lack of use. I have just had deep tissue massage and the pain has near enough gone now.
 
thanks Suzette. My doctor is guessing...but is looking at the possibility of an disc slip, or damage to the nerve that happened after 3 months post op. If that shows nothing in the MRI ON SEPT. 8, he will look at a possible metal allery, but he said that is rare.Did I mention here that two very popular hip doctors here will NOT GIVE a 2nd opinion until 1 year after postop date. So a 2nd opinion now is out of the question. bummer.....
 
Thanks Josephine. My grandfather was one of the founding Chiropractors in Texas, so I do believe in them, but I would need to find a reputable one here. I got ripped off last year from mine. He was mistaken about my visits, and billing, and I ended up going Way beyond what insurance allowed. I only get 13 visits a year for that. I do like the idea of tissue massaging, but will wait on MRI RESULTS. I walk everyday, no matter how much it hurts. Nothing ever changes anyway, whether I sit or lay, or walk, so I am continuing on with walking and enjoying the dog days of summer!!!
 
Hi @sandydog yes hang on until the MRI, these aches pains and hurting times are very hard going when you don't know causes it. Fingers crossed they find out what the problem is and how to deal with it x
 
Hi @sandydog. I so sympathize with ongoing pain. I have yet to have a pain free day since surgery. last week I saw my surgeon who has been taking X-rays at every monthly visit and says the usual...implant looks great. I do feel that I am ever so slowly improving weekly though so don't feel quite so discouraged. My view now is that a year from April I will be more normal. That's how I'm coping. I would be frantic though if I had to return to work. And as a flight attendant no less. Wish you success in your quest and will follow your progress.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi@nochoice, i am sorry you too have had pain. We suffer so much before the surgery, so we all just assume we will pain free afterwards. It is encouraging to hear you are improving, even if slightly. I do think it is the not knowing. Did you read my comment about no other hip doctors will give a 2nd opinion around here, until 1 year post op? its just like you said...recovery can be a year. If i was living in atlanta i could get a ground job, but here i cant. If i had more info on my hip I could start looking for other work temporarily, but I think walking on a cane might scare an employer away... I love your attitude, and I am improving in that area.,this is one of those things we can't control.... I am putting pressure on myself, because of my work situation. I wanted to retire, but wanted to wait for a retirement package that will be offered next year. I hope your pain lessens each day☺️
 
@sandydog
Your predicament is just awful! Since I live in California, I'm not aware of the temporary disability laws in your state, but am wondering if you are able to receive disability benefits and hold off on going back to work so you can receive the new retirement package next year (hmmm...run on sentance)? Just a thought.
 
@sandydog I am wondering the same thing as @Cynthia777 . Is there some way you can work with your Union rep for help to get you through until this special retirement offer is put into effect? Presuming that working for an airline you do have a union. Don't suppose you can live temporarily in Atlanta for a desk job. At least you could get free flights home:loll:Just brainstorming here.
 
Well,@cynthia, and @nochoice, we all are thinking alike. The disability I am on, is my airline.s short term disability benefit which will have to convert to long- term disability in Oct. (50%) salary. We are non-union, but we have great benefits and i have 38 years seniority. So, I am not destitute yet☺️, and luckily my husband is working. I actually was considering applying for a ground job and temporarily live with a friend, just to get me on active status.BUT. It is out of state and my husband not exactly on board with that idea! If i could just walk without a cane, that decision might be easier to make! Thanks for the comments.
 
@sandydog We are certainly on the same wave length. I use my cane on a good day! Otherwise a walker. Another reason I'm glad I'm retired. Best wishes and keep us updated.
 
@sandydog I saw your posting on some other threads. I'm wondering what your MRI showed this week. Boy, would my husband ever be thrilled if I could work comfortably in the kitchen! Not me though. Of course, I've not been much into cooking for the past few years. Poor hubby. Are you now being followed by a neurologist? I'm having lots of what I believe to be nerve pain now and am not sure how to proceed. I hope you got your test results and that they showed you good news!
 
@nochoice, hi. i meet with the doctor monday to discuss results. and he wants xrays of me bending. the MRI Showed a wedge compression deformity of L2, from an old injury ( not from recent surgery) anterolisthesis, disc bulge, and mild stenosis. so I will find out what this means, but it sounds like I have lumbar stenosis which is what happens when spinal nerves in the lower back are choked. this for sure could be causing my pain in the hip and thigh. I don't know if I should be happy or sad. but...I am hoping physical therapy will help. I heard cortizone injections are temporary.. I will keep you informed
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom